Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Johnny Rotten scolds haters

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,091 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

Good for Johnny!

From the article:

Former Sex Pistol John Lydon says those now celebrating Margaret Thatcher's death are 'loathsome'.
Lydon, famously known as Johnny Rotten when he was the singer in Punk icons The Sex Pistols back in the 1970s as Maggie was rising to power, added: 'I'm not going to dance on her grave.'
He said: 'I was her enemy in her life but I will not be her enemy in her death.'

http://www.dailymail...ost_read_module

Edited by OverSword, 11 April 2013 - 07:35 PM.

#2    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,609 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:42 PM

Well perhaps Johnny Rotten should perhaps allow her detractors to honor or dishonor Thatcher the way they see fit without limiting them to his own personal sense of morals.

I understand he is the perfect spokesperson to calm everyone down but I have yet to see proof that any calming down needs to happen to begin with.

After all the detractors are offering a counterpoint to the celebratory tone some are offering Thatcher's legacy, it is not her death that her detractors are celebrating per se but using it as a symbol to decry her legacy as well.

In more important news, last years PiL album sounds pretty good to me. Good work Johnny and wishing you a fab comeback! You Sir, will not be forgotten.

#3    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:42 PM

POPULAR

Completely agree with him.

I even thought people celebrating Bin Laden's death was pathetic. There is something very barbaric about celebrating the death of a person in that way.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#4    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,091 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:46 PM

View PostCoffey, on 11 April 2013 - 07:42 PM, said:

Completely agree with him.

I even thought people celebrating Bin Laden's death was pathetic. There is something very barbaric about celebrating the death of a person in that way.
Funny you mention that.  A co-worker and I were discussing that very thing yesterday.  People dancing in the streets, waving flags, partying.

#5    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:47 PM

If for no other reason than to show respect to the family, it's no time to be throwing a celebration.

#6    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,091 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

View PostLeave Britney alone!, on 11 April 2013 - 07:42 PM, said:

Well perhaps Johnny Rotten should perhaps allow her detractors to honor or dishonor Thatcher the way they see fit without limiting them to his own personal sense of morals.

I understand he is the perfect spokesperson to calm everyone down but I have yet to see proof that any calming down needs to happen to begin with.

After all the detractors are offering a counterpoint to the celebratory tone some are offering Thatcher's legacy, it is not her death that her detractors are celebrating per se but using it as a symbol to decry her legacy as well.

In more important news, last years PiL album sounds pretty good to me. Good work Johnny and wishing you a fab comeback! You Sir, will not be forgotten.
I've always agreed with a majority of Johnny's opinion about social issues.

#7    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:51 PM

View PostOverSword, on 11 April 2013 - 07:46 PM, said:

Funny you mention that.  A co-worker and I were discussing that very thing yesterday.  People dancing in the streets, waving flags, partying.

There are no coincidences.... lol

View PostOverSword, on 11 April 2013 - 07:48 PM, said:

I've always agreed with a majority of Johnny's opinion about social issues.

I'm guessing you didn't get the Country life butter ad in the US?

Lost a little bit of respect for him doing an advert. Still like him, just think he shouldn't have done it, unless he actually likes the butter. lol

Edited by Coffey, 11 April 2013 - 07:54 PM.

#8    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,509 posts

• We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:54 PM

I wasn't affected by the woman, I wasn't alive. But I don't begrudge the people that were, and a lot of people were, their chance to be happy that the person who ruined their lives has gone. I read in the Northern Echo about a woman who helped run soup kitchens in the Coalfields during the strike who's had a bottle of champagne waiting to be drunk on Thatcher's death since the day the strike ended. I bet that tasted sweet.

I can't help but feel that a lot of the people saying it's disgusting weren't affected by her policies in nearly the same way.

Posted Image

#9    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:59 PM

Maybe it is because I am older, but in my generation we know how it feels to lose a family member.  Death is a time to show respect to those left behind.

#10    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,407 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:01 PM

I have to admit I don't know much about Thatcher but dancing in the streets in a little much.

However if someone like Hitler died I could understand celebrating it.

#11    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:09 PM

View PostQueen in the North, on 11 April 2013 - 07:54 PM, said:

I wasn't affected by the woman, I wasn't alive. But I don't begrudge the people that were, and a lot of people were, their chance to be happy that the person who ruined their lives has gone. I read in the Northern Echo about a woman who helped run soup kitchens in the Coalfields during the strike who's had a bottle of champagne waiting to be drunk on Thatcher's death since the day the strike ended. I bet that tasted sweet.

I can't help but feel that a lot of the people saying it's disgusting weren't affected by her policies in nearly the same way.

The fact is why didn't the people do something about it? There is a lack of jobs now and our economy is broken because of the government and the banking system. Yet we all sit here and accept it. Nobody realises we don't have to. We own the government. (well we're supposed to, the bank does really)  We are all taught and told to respect authority, fact is a government is supposed to be there for the people not the other way around. I blame society for not rising against her, not her. She just did what all these greedy politicians do, make themselves and their own richer while making everyone else suffer.

View PostHilander, on 11 April 2013 - 08:01 PM, said:

I have to admit I don't know much about Thatcher but dancing in the streets in a little much.

However if someone like Hitler died I could understand celebrating it.

Well there's a huge difference there. lol

#12    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:17 PM

I'm with Queen in the North;  Thatcher was an absolute blight on the country. And Coffey: we stood up to her re. the Poll Tax and that was scrapped(eventually). It really isn't that easy to make a government do what you want it to do .......... especially if you're already ground down by life and barely able to keep your own situation going from day to day.

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#13    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:21 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 11 April 2013 - 08:17 PM, said:

I'm with Queen in the North;  Thatcher was an absolute blight on the country. And Coffey: we stood up to her re. the Poll Tax and that was scrapped(eventually). It really isn't that easy to make a government do what you want it to do .......... especially if you're already ground down by life and barely able to keep your own situation going from day to day.

It's still a small government compared to the people. We've never stood up to the government properly that's why we are stuck ina  slave system rules by rich people where the working class blames the unemployed. Perfect system for these jackasses.

Still she was human and made mistakes. Forgiveness is better than hatred.

Edited by Coffey, 11 April 2013 - 08:22 PM.

#14    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

• 'The light of the world'

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

View PostOverSword, on 11 April 2013 - 07:35 PM, said:

Good for Johnny!

From the article:

Former Sex Pistol John Lydon says those now celebrating Margaret Thatcher's death are 'loathsome'.
Lydon, famously known as Johnny Rotten when he was the singer in Punk icons The Sex Pistols back in the 1970s as Maggie was rising to power, added: 'I'm not going to dance on her grave.'
He said: 'I was her enemy in her life but I will not be her enemy in her death.'

http://www.dailymail...ost_read_module

Quite right too! Now, this is a funny coincidence (for me at least) I was a Hotel Receptionist (back in the day) and I checked in both Johnny Rotten and Maggie Thatcher into the hotel within days of each other. Both nearly caused a riot with Protesters :w00t:

"Love one another as I have loved you" John 15:9-17

#15    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:30 PM

View PostCoffey, on 11 April 2013 - 08:21 PM, said:

It's still a small government compared to the people. We've never stood up to the government properly that's why we are stuck ina  slave system rules by rich people where the working class blames the unemployed. Perfect system for these jackasses.

Still she was human and made mistakes. Forgiveness is better than hatred.
In this instance I disagree.

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users