Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 6 votes

The History of Schizophrenia

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
559 replies to this topic

#451    DeWitz

DeWitz

DeWitz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

• "Follow me, it's in Room 101."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:04 PM

View Postnotforgotten, on 06 June 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:

Like me, I'm finding myself in bed with a differant female spirit 2-3 times a month when I sleep. LOL

Hey, Not---whatever it takes!!!

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

#452    markprice

markprice

what

• 3,767 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:00 AM

View Postsam_comm, on 03 June 2013 - 08:53 PM, said:

But then you seems to ignore what the symptoms of Schizophrenia are: Hallucinations, commanding voices, delusions, difficulties to discern what is real or unreal ect.

As you said, there was no proper diagnostic and treatments at that time for those people stricken by this mental heatlh desease. Medical science through researches evolved and now patients get treaments that allows them to maintain a stable mental health condition. Unfortunately there is cure for it.

I think it's fair to say that in the remote past, people were stricken as well by Schizophrenia and simply didn't know it. Some had all kind of strange visions and hallucinations and thought it was mystic. Today we know that this is due in most cases to mental instabillity. I am not saying that mystical  phenomena never occured in history but that in my opinion with the knowledge we have today through medical reasearches most cases can be treated as a mental heatlh desease.

That's the whole point of this thread: every spiritual adept and many creative geniuses could have been diagnosed and drugged back into conformity based on your attitude.

This is getting shilly - Math

#453    notforgotten

notforgotten

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

• One day I saw my doppelganger and someone in heaven revealed to me that I had been cloned by aliens.

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

I can think of no greater meaning to the phrase, "blinded by science" in this thread. There is nothing to be found in the dark. If you can't see it, you can't grasp it, nor can you understand it.

#454    Glorfindel

Glorfindel

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

• The answer to 1984, is uhhh... 1812?

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:28 PM

View Postnotforgotten, on 08 June 2013 - 02:30 PM, said:

I can think of no greater meaning to the phrase, "blinded by science" in this thread. There is nothing to be found in the dark. If you can't see it, you can't grasp it, nor can you understand it.

Please don't tarnish the name of science by assuming psychology is even based on it. Just read some Sigmund Fraud, what a complete load of unscientific crap.

#455    AnotherCrazyGuy

AnotherCrazyGuy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:50 PM

http://healthcareorg...erican.html?m=1

#456    Glorfindel

Glorfindel

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:43 PM

It is wrong, wrong! I HATE IT! Psychiatrists are amongst the biggest sociopaths in our midst today. I can't even begin to explain some of the remarkable intelligent people they have taken from the world. The degradation they experience is enough to make them crazier as they are dragged from their home and forced into a psychiatric facility, experimented on with brain damaging drugs and TMS, and told the accomplishments they had before developing the mental illness are "delusions" as they laugh at them. And then their families, in their infinite ignorance actually think this was the right thing to do, and then are left scratching their heads when the "patient" hates them after finally being released. If you are diagnosed with a mental illness you have NO RIGHTS flat out, it doesn't matter who you were before the illness effected you.

#457    AnotherCrazyGuy

AnotherCrazyGuy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:01 PM

View PostGlorfindel, on 08 August 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

It is wrong, wrong! I HATE IT! Psychiatrists are amongst the biggest sociopaths in our midst today. I can't even begin to explain some of the remarkable intelligent people they have taken from the world. The degradation they experience is enough to make them crazier as they are dragged from their home and forced into a psychiatric facility, experimented on with brain damaging drugs and TMS, and told the accomplishments they had before developing the mental illness are "delusions" as they laugh at them. And then their families, in their infinite ignorance actually think this was the right thing to do, and then are left scratching their heads when the "patient" hates them after finally being released. If you are diagnosed with a mental illness you have NO RIGHTS flat out, it doesn't matter who you were before the illness effected you.

Hi, and much thanks for the liking!!!

Also: I would love much your thoughts (and those of others here)  about what I have wriiten about the topics dierectly and indirectly covered by this site as found via http://familycology.org . Note: Heraclitus was called "The Enigmatic", Gurdjieff said, "Bury the dog deeper", and so on. So I hope you and others here will read below the surface and between the lines as they enjoy my petard hoistings.

Regards, Yale@Better-Tymes.com

Edited by AnotherCrazyGuy, 08 August 2013 - 05:28 PM.

#458    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:03 PM

The mentally ill need help, and I prefer professional help to folk stuff and religious mumbo-jumbo.  I do agree, however, with the criticism of Freud.  His contribution was not anything specific, but just making the field more scientific rather than superstitious.  There has been a lot of progress since.

#459    ambelamba

ambelamba

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:04 PM

Psychiatry is still in its infancy. Some of the smartest people in this world are still struggling to figure out the exact mechanism of human brain, and they didn't even scratch the surface.

Well, I am kinda interested in simulation hypothesis. And from that perspective all those spiritual apparitions and things can be explained in a very different light. And this kind of reasoning will disturb both believers and skeptics alike.

I believe that science is the right way to understand how our universe works. But the history of modern science is virtually non-existent comparing to the history of anatomically-modern humans. Modern humans, with modern brains, have existed for about 100,000 years. And when did we start learning about our brain's mechanism? A few decades at most?

#460    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:09 PM

All human knowledge is in its infancy.  So what?

#461    ambelamba

ambelamba

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:12 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 08 August 2013 - 05:09 PM, said:

All human knowledge is in its infancy.  So what?

Well, my point is that it's a very stupid idea to discard the merits of scientific approaches.

#462    Glorfindel

Glorfindel

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:12 PM

If it wasn't so emotionally personal to me what happened to a successful academic I looked up to, I would post the story. Psychiatry is "mumbo-jumbo", its a bunch of dangerous bull****. A patient should always have the right to refuse treatment. If you don't have sovereignty over your own god damn mind then what do you have? Nothing, nothing except a hospital gown and the treatment and respect that a criminal in a maximum security prison has. You guys are right in that we have just begun learning about the human mind/brain, and I'd rather we not know if the only way to get answers is through experimenting on innocent people.

Edited by Glorfindel, 08 August 2013 - 05:13 PM.

#463    ambelamba

ambelamba

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:14 PM

View PostGlorfindel, on 08 August 2013 - 05:12 PM, said:

If it wasn't so emotionally personal to me what happened to a successful academic I looked up to, I would post the story. Psychiatry is "mumbo-jumbo", its a bunch of dangerous bull****. A patient should always have the right to refuse treatment. If you don't have sovereignty over your own god damn mind then what do you have? Nothing, nothing except a hospital gown and the treatment and respect that a criminal in a maximum security prison has. You guys are right in that we have just begun learning about the human mind/brain, and I'd rather we not know if the only way to get answers is through experimenting on innocent people.

OK then suggest us the right approach to those mental illnesses.

#464    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:16 PM

I think you are talking more about medical ethics than about psychiatry itself.  I will say this, though -- if I were suffering from a form of paranoia that cause me too refuse appropriate medication, and were suffering as a result, I would appreciate it if there were legal procedures that compelled my treatment.  That is the unfortunate nature of many mental diseases.

#465    AnotherCrazyGuy

AnotherCrazyGuy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:23 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 08 August 2013 - 05:03 PM, said:

The mentally ill need help, and I prefer professional help to folk stuff and religious mumbo-jumbo.  I do agree, however, with the criticism of Freud.  His contribution was not anything specific, but just making the field more scientific rather than superstitious.  There has been a lot of progress since.

Yes, there has been a lot of progress.

But as I pointed to in an earlier reply, also a lot ot of regress per http://healthcareorg...erican.html?m=1 . That said, I suppose all this simply means that each of us -- whether we like it or not, have to decide on which bet we decide to make. For example, many psychiatrists have prescribed Risperdahl for all kinds of off-label conditions. But less so, now that some kind of professional sanity has prevailed per http://thomasjhenryl...tion/risperdal/ .

So if you want to give your complete trust to your psychiatrist go ahead. But God help you, Frank, (whatever "God" means and doesn't mean to you) if the side-effects end up being a bummer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users