Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

DARPA Building Robots With ‘Real’ Brains

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,194 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:31 PM

The futures looking bright then...

"The next frontier for the robotics industry is to build machines that think like humans. Scientists have pursued that elusive goal for decades, and they believe they are now just inches away from the finish line".

A Pentagon-funded team of researchers has constructed a tiny machine that would allow robots to act independently. Unlike traditional artificial intelligence systems that rely on conventional computer programming, this one “looks and ‘thinks’ like a human brain,” said James K. Gimzewski, professor of chemistry at the University of California, Los Angeles.

Gimsewski is a member of the team that has been working under sponsorship of the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency on a program called “physical intelligence.” This technology could be the secret to making robots that are truly autonomous, Gimzewski said during a conference call hosted by Technolink, a Los Angeles-based industry group.

This project does not use standard robot hardware with integrated circuitry, he said. The device that his team constructed is capable, without being programmed like a traditional robot, of performing actions similar to humans, Gimzewski said.

AND...

What sets this new device apart from any others is that it has nano-scale interconnected wires that perform billions of connections like a human brain, and is capable of remembering information, Gimzewski said. Each connection is a synthetic synapse. A synapse is what allows a neuron to pass an electric or chemical signal to another cell. Because its structure is so complex, most artificial intelligence projects so far have been unable to replicate it.

A “physical intelligence” device would not require a human controller the way a robot does, said Gimzewski. The applications of this technology for the military would be far reaching, he said. An aircraft, for example, would be able to learn and explore the terrain and work its way through the environment without human intervention, he said. These machines would be able to process information in ways that would be unimaginable with current computers.

http://www.nationald...st.aspx?ID=1101

Edited by seeder, 12 April 2013 - 07:51 PM.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#2    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:19 PM

So wrong.

Their robots already creep me out.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#3    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,194 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:37 PM

View PostCoffey, on 12 April 2013 - 09:19 PM, said:

So wrong.

Their robots already creep me out.

Tell me about it! Imagine when these things are refined, quietened down, , have brains...and are ARMED!  The Beginning of Skynet?

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#4    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:02 PM

View Postseeder, on 12 April 2013 - 09:37 PM, said:

Tell me about it! Imagine when these things are refined, quietened down, , have brains...and are ARMED!  The Beginning of Skynet?

Exactly yeah.

That dog one is one of the worst. Gives me a right shiver. lol

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#5    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,194 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:15 PM

I just found new vid, now they have put an extra arm on it, where the head should be...so it acts like an arm sort of, and first trick it does? Throws cinder blocks about!!

Imagine being dug in troops on the enemy side of the future, and hundreds of the things, or things similar...are coming for you! sheesh!!

Edited by seeder, 12 April 2013 - 10:24 PM.

#6    Collateral Damage

Collateral Damage

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 255 posts

• "Anti-Americanism is a pure totalitarian concept. The very notion is idiotic."

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:03 AM

I pray they think like humans and that only. If they can comprehend decisions of their own we may be in trouble future wise. No man has ever been contained as slave forever and hasn't rebelled for a justified freedom. Who says a machine with a mind of its own wouldn't do the same?

"For the wages of sin is death..."

Undated letter from J.F.K. said:

"War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today."

"The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten."

#7    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:54 PM

As long as they(DARPA) don't change their name to Cyberdyne.

#8    highdesert50

highdesert50

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:00 PM

Do we really want a robot to react entirely as an equivalent "living entity?" That would imply the fundamental behavior of self preservation with all of its ramifications. Self preservation is based upon fear and pain. Fear translates into the basic fight or flight response which has implications of both "preserving" the individual as well as at the greater social level of protecting the "family" for the sake of perpetuating the "species." I would hope that the engrams to assure that the family/species does indeed completely embrace the human.

#9    masaimara

masaimara

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

Terminator 2, Robo cop??? one day robot will take over the world and all its arsenal, internet...

#10    KmKizmet

KmKizmet

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 63 posts

• Now, he really did lose his marbles...

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:04 PM

It could possibly take over the world yeah, but heh, like I'll be around to see that, robots really creep me out so i go no for robots in any way

#11    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,374 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

I guess we need to call out Will Smith to deal with these "I Robots".

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#12    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

• "Why not take what seems to me the only chance of escaping what is otherwise the sure destruction"

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:36 PM

Posted Image

" Technology has exceeded our humanity. "

#13    Starseed hybrid 1111

Starseed hybrid 1111

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 326 posts

• "Take the Red Matrix pill" be your own authentic self neo

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:02 PM

be careful guys don't create artificial intelligence it could backfire on you guys and on humanity as a whole too.having creating self aware and artificial intelligence is scary people.this sounds like the terminator movie in the making but real life that is scary.

#14    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,194 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

View PostAndromedan Starseed 333, on 13 April 2013 - 06:02 PM, said:

be careful guys don't create artificial intelligence it could backfire on you guys and on humanity as a whole too.having creating self aware and artificial intelligence is scary people.this sounds like the terminator movie in the making but real life that is scary.

well until they develop nuclear batteries or similar, that can give an unlimited long term power supply, the simple solution in the meantime is just to turn them off! So far all the robots created are limited by power.. even the best in the world, ASIMO,  cant function more than than a few hours before needing a recharge, and BIG DOG in the vid is just the same, The Terminator had a nuclear battery, even tho its pure fiction of course. So until such a power source is created, all the best robots in the world will either need a wired power supply - which will limit its distance from the base, or on board batteries, which will only have charge for so long.
So worry more when they come up with an 'endless' or very long range battery. There's a lot of power consumption in such robots

Edited by seeder, 13 April 2013 - 06:16 PM.

#15    FlyingAngel

FlyingAngel

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:28 PM

View Postseeder, on 13 April 2013 - 06:15 PM, said:

well until they develop nuclear batteries or similar, that can give an unlimited long term power supply, the simple solution in the meantime is just to turn them off! So far all the robots created are limited by power.. even the best in the world, ASIMO,  cant function more than than a few hours before needing a recharge, and BIG DOG in the vid is just the same, The Terminator had a nuclear battery, even tho its pure fiction of course. So until such a power source is created, all the best robots in the world will either need a wired power supply - which will limit its distance from the base, or on board batteries, which will only have charge for so long.
So worry more when they come up with an 'endless' or very long range battery. There's a lot of power consumption in such robots
Not a big deal when they are intelligent enough to take one or two scientist as hostage to feed them daily or even steal the charger.
Dangerously, if they have no remorse and no fear, threaten them is useless. They dont need a gun you know. With a bare hand they could pierce your heart or twist your neck in a flash

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users