Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Facebook declining

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1    pitchp

pitchp

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 210 posts

• "I go when I want to go. To prolong life would be tasteless"
    Albert Einstein

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:17 AM

I once had a facebook account, sure it was cool at the time, then something eventually hit me. I needed to grow up and move on. So I cancelled my facebook and here I am now in UM with you. ;) Anyways it seems like there is a growing number of people moving away from facebook. Is facebook now just another myspace? Have the people come to realise that there is more to life than facebook?? Or are people starting to realise sharing your private life with the world might not be such a good idea. In any case, It seems the records are in and it's starting to show.

Uh oh. Teens are growing tired of Facebook (FB) and YouTube (GOOG), new research (pdf) shows, a falling-out that has the potential to trigger a wide-ranging effect on retail, fashion, gaming, and other youth-oriented industries.
According to Piper Jaffray (PJC), while Facebook and YouTube are still considered the most important social media destination for teens, their popularity among this fickle demographic has fallen precipitously since this time last year, as the chart below indicates. (The cold-shoulder treatment may be because so many parents and grannies seem, creepily, to be all over Facebook these days.)
Posted Image

Source: http://www.businessw...k-out-marketers

"The truth is out there. We are all searching for it."
   PitchP

#2    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:41 AM

Left FB more than a year now. Depending on country, language, culture, there are better much less creepy alternatives to FB. For instance in Russia is VK (in contact) that has a much more user friendly format and an owner who will not bend the knee to anybody, as FB does. But in the end there is no altenative to actually having real life friends, and a life....

#3    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 10,396 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:50 AM

I like a more limited membership list.

#4    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,555 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:26 AM

With Facebook in support of unethical business methods I warmly welcome these new statistics. I don't frequent Facebook as much as I used to and now simply use it as a communication medium.

Would be interesting to see how Google+ is going.

#5    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,188 posts

• Ah, but I was so much older then,
    I'm younger than that now. Dylan

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:01 AM

I've never had a FB account, but it is a great way to find old friends. So I've contacted a few old friends through my kids accounts. I only contact them the first time using FB, and then give them my email. Once they contact me via email they are like "Hey, you have to join FB so we can talk!"
I'm like...huh?

"That was definitely a bigfoot, you could tell by the bear-shaped body" YT poster

#6    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 7,595 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:02 AM

Surprised google + struggling, seems not just Facebook

#7    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

Raindrop Dude

• 1,299 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:41 AM

There's plenty of other things I can think of than hanging out in facebook. Like saving the world.

I'm just dancing, 'till dropping...

#8    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 14,669 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:57 AM

Let's see here, my choices are: 1) Spending time on Facebook or 2) Doing just about anything else (other than having dental work). Seems a pretty clear choice.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#9    Colonel Rhubarb

Colonel Rhubarb

Scrupulously Polite

• 22,256 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

i don't really know if that graph can prove very much, according to it everything, even twitter, is less important now than it was. What does this tell us? Why, it shows that Social media as a whole is declining, obviously. And what does that show? Well, I suppose it shows that we shouldn't take very much notice of whatever Social media Commentators say.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#10    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 10,396 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

If one is going to participate on a forum, one should pay attention to what others on that forum say, or at least to what those on the threads you subscribe to say (unless, of course, they are stupid).

#11    Low Mage

Low Mage

Low magic practitioner

• 3,606 posts

• Who has it all has nothing

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

View Postpitchp, on 14 April 2013 - 07:17 AM, said:

Uh oh. Teens are growing tired of Facebook (FB) and YouTube (GOOG), new research (pdf) shows, a falling-out that has the potential to trigger a wide-ranging effect on retail, fashion, gaming, and other youth-oriented industries.
According to Piper Jaffray (PJC), while Facebook and YouTube are still considered the most important social media destination for teens, their popularity among this fickle demographic has fallen precipitously since this time last year, as the chart below indicates. (The cold-shoulder treatment may be because so many parents and grannies seem, creepily, to be all over Facebook these days.)

The average gamer is most likely a parent by now, is that industry really youth-oriented?

Your comment of parents and gradparents creepily FBing seems to be rooted in ageism and is not very attractive.

Your graph showing which sites are most popular among teens is based on a study that only surveyed 5000 of them in the United States.

The most popular sites in my mind would be Twitter (to keep track of those you follow, officially or unoffically) and Instagram (to look at who you are following and to show yourself off).

While not all teens will want an Insta account it seems those certain of their looks are not afraid of it.

#12    dryrain

dryrain

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

• People forget what you said, forget what you did but will never forget how you made them feel

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:16 PM

I stopped using facebook a few years ago. It felt strange for me putting all my photos online, sharing so much with everyone. Putting something on facebook its like sms all your friends telling them you are going on vacation. Its something you would never do. I like to share things with people but only close friends. Like all social netwroks they fade away, there was that one with the music on..see I can not even remember its name lol

I did join diaspora but not sure thats reall caught on yet I did likke the idea of that because it was less comemercial than facebook.

#13    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• 1,332 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:18 PM

Are new user accounts declining because people are getting bored with it or because there are only so many people worldwide with regular internet access who are interested in social networking?

Ergo, have they saturated their market as much as is possible?

Exploring your own consciousness is the fundamental right of every individual

Locking people in a cage because they choose to exercise that right should be considered a crime against humanity

#14    dryrain

dryrain

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

• People forget what you said, forget what you did but will never forget how you made them feel

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:13 PM

The problem for facebook are place like china where they have good alternatives like the happy network. People use that instead of facebook. The same for Korea they have a good alternative. Facebook numbers maybe in decline I guess they do not need to worry too much. What they need to do is to start making some decent money. Thats the key part and whether the things they put in place to make money then drives its users away. The next few years are crucial for facebook.

#15    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 10,396 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

I joined Facebook and promptly got offers of friendship accompanied by sexy pictures.  Really now, at my age?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users