Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghosties at work

CatFromHell

I thought I'd tell you about some things that have happened to me at work, Sorry if I ramble a bit!

I work at a residential college for people with special needs, Its an old place, Its been in use since around the first world war, Where it was used to house soldiers injured during the war, They would live on campus and be cared for whilst working in the various departments doing upholstering, Woodwork etc but is now a college. Its a large campus made up of various classrooms, departments etc and quite a few residences dotted around campus.

Obviously as its a college the students go home for the holidays, But us poor staff have jobs to do in the holidays so don't get them all off, But more often than not I find myself working on my own in the holidays as we all seem to take our hols at different times, There are people around but working in different areas and they aren't a particularly friendly bunch so I dont tend to seek company out in the holidays. One day, A few years ago i was working on my own. The accomodation I was working in is quite a big place, With a long wide corridor with bedrooms either side, A laundry at the top of the corridor with a kitchen to the right, And another corridor to the left. I was in the laundry room doing some ironing. The ironing board was in the middle of the room so I could see down the corridor. I was just minding my own business when I saw, Out of the corner of my eye, A figure going into the kitchen. I Thought it was odd as, Even though i hadnt been actually looking down the corridor as I was ironing, I would have definitely seen anybody coming down the corridor and they would have seen me too, So why didn't they say hello or something or at least let me know they were there, Plus nobody had any busines going in there anyway. I went into the kitchen, Nobody there, Also the door was shut and its a heavy hinged door. It would not have had time to shut before i got there as its literally a second away. I was a bit freaked out, But other members of staff have seen similar things there.

Another time I was working in another part of the college which were bungalows for the more senior students, Set just off campus. The section I was working in has about 12 bungalows, One is two bungalows knocked into 1 and has a staff office and bedroom as well as students bedrooms etc. It was the holidays again and I was working on my own again (sometimes feels like i'm the only one who actually does any work!) I was working a day shift and I went and opened up the main bungalow so i could get the keys to another bungalow to go and do some cleaning. As soon as I got in to the main bungalow I started hearing noises, Like whispering, I couldn't make any words out but there seemed to be more than one voice, And I couldn't tell you where these voices were coming from, They just seemed to be in the air, I walked into every room in that bungalow and couldn't determine where they were coming from. It was definitely inside though. I grabbed the keys and left to do the cleaning and by the end of the day I had more or less convinced myself I had been imagining it. Later that week I was working in the same place on a saturday night, I had finished all my work by then and it was my last shift before i went off on holiday, So I just tooksome dvd's in to watch and intended to chill out. I went to the main bungalow as thats where anybody would ring if they needed me and sat down and started watching a dvd. I had been there maybe 2 hours when I just got this horrible feeling I was not alone there. I was in the front room and the only way to describe how I felt was paralysed with fear! I just knew something else was in that bungalow. I st there for what seemed like hours but was probably about 20 minutes when I just had to move and get out, I ran from the front room, Grabbed my stuff and the keys and got out. I went to another bungalow and immediately the feeling went but i was really shook up. Later around 11 i was waiting for my taxi outside the bungalow and I could feel someone watching me. I never mentioned this to anybody s I felt a bit stupid but a few weeks ago I was talking to a colleague who described going through exactly the same thing.

Another colleague, Who was a complete sceptic told me that once, Whist sleeping in there one night when the students were there she heard someone walking up and down the corridor. It went on for a while so she got up to see who it was. All the students were in bed fast asleep.

Another time I was working with the same colleague, She went to do something and walked past the bathroom. The tap was running so she turned it off and mentioned it to me. I walked past a few minutes later and the tap was on again. This happened 4 or 5 times, We thought it was a student playing tricks on us, But they were all out. We got the plumber out and there was nothing wrong with the tap.

I have heard loads of other stories from people at work too.

Another time, Myself and a few colleagues were in a really old part of the college that they now use for storage, We have a summer fete every year and we were sorting out stuff we could sell, I found an old photo, Looked like it was taken around WW1 time, Of some of the old residents. Nobody knew who the people in the picture were but everyone said it was odd that it had not been discovered before considering the age of it. I wonder if the people on that picture are still knocking the place now?

I was in the laundry room doing some ironing.

I can't enlighten you regarding your experiences, but I can certainly assure you on one important point: To me it is perfectly clear that you are in great peril and not in the way you may think.

If there were malevolent spirits intent on harming you, it would be as nothing compared to the despair what awaits you there.

You may not be highly qualified, but you're a literate, coherent individual doing the job of a numbskull, and therein lies the real danger.

Just drop whatever menial task you're doing, pick-up whatever belongings you can can carry, and run far and run fast.

What is this place called if you don't mind sharing? Would be interesting to see some pics and have a look online.

Moon gazer, I can't say the name of the place due to the sensitive nature of the place, There is nothing interesting online about it anyway, If there was the directors would have it taken down pretty sharpish, And inn spectre, You seem a bit confused, I was not asking for career guidance, And if I was, I would not take it from you, You say i'm a numbskull because of the job that I do? Thats fine, Fortunately for me I don't define myself by what I do, I work to earn money, Not to brag to people about what I do, And I don't judge others by what they do either. I find people who do very tedious and self righteous, Which is exactly how you came across in your post.

I can't enlighten you regarding your experiences, but I can certainly assure you on one important point: To me it is perfectly clear that you are in great peril and not in the way you may think.

If there were malevolent spirits intent on harming you, it would be as nothing compared to the despair what awaits you there.

You may not be highly qualified, but you're a literate, coherent individual doing the job of a numbskull, and therein lies the real danger.

Just drop whatever menial task you're doing, pick-up whatever belongings you can can carry, and run far and run fast.

What an a-hole

• Like 2

And inn spectre, You seem a bit confused, I was not asking for career guidance, And if I was, I would not take it from you, You say i'm a numbskull because of the job that I do?

No I said your job could be done by one, which is why you shouldn't, and if you don't get out fast you'll regret it later.

There are "numbskulls" working in all sectors, I don't see how giving up my job will achieve anything really, Apart from losing me my house etc. That's irrelevant anyway, I already said I was not after career advice. Also, I happen to think that caring for people with special needs is rather an important and underrated job, That actually requires a hell of a lot of training and expertise, Of course, That's just my numbskull opinion, What would I know.

• Like 2

Are ghosties like Frosties?

• Like 1