Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Florida invaded by giant snails

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#16    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:16 PM

Florida is getting smacked left and right with invasive species.   They should just wipe everything out and start over again.

#17    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,410 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:16 PM

I wonder if any part of them is edible by humans or animals.  I've never eaten snail though.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#18    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

• I'm baaaaaack

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

I have had escargot once, it was as tough and chewy as an old chunk of tire  and didn't taste much better .  At least as far as I am concerned.

#19    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,614 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:26 AM

Why don´t they just eat them? Sounds like a real big escargot.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#20    Gatofeo

Gatofeo

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

• "An ugly cat. Vast desert. Smoke and fire. Flying lead makes holes in parchment. The ugly cat is much amused." --- Gatodamus (1503-1566)

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:57 AM

Good escargot is wonderful. The snails are removed from their shells and sautéed with butter, garlic and salt. Then you add more garlic. A minute passes, more garlic. Ten seconds later, add more garlic. Then add garlic, and ... a touch of garlic. Then more garlic. Or so it seems ...
But escargot is very good. I love it.
I wondered why these snails couldn't be eaten like escargot.
It may be that they are unpalatable.
I cooked a Banana Slug years ago while camping on the Olympic Peninsula of Washington state. Horrible. Even with plenty of garlic and butter.
Found out later that Banana Slugs eat rotten wood, and other things I probably don't want to recall.
Blech.
But hey, deep fry these GALS, serve with ketchup or mustard at a county fair. People will eat anything at a county fair.

#21    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,614 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:04 AM

View PostGatofeo, on 16 April 2013 - 02:57 AM, said:

Good escargot is wonderful. The snails are removed from their shells and sautéed with butter, garlic and salt. Then you add more garlic. A minute passes, more garlic. Ten seconds later, add more garlic. Then add garlic, and ... a touch of garlic. Then more garlic. Or so it seems ...
I cooked a Banana Slug years ago while camping on the Olympic Peninsula of Washington state. Horrible. Even with plenty of garlic and butter.
Found out later that Banana Slugs eat rotten wood, and other things I probably don't want to recall.
Blech.
But hey, deep fry these GALS, serve with ketchup or mustard at a county fair. People will eat anything at a county fair.

It seems these things eat green plants, so it should not be so bad. And think of a rabbit-sized escargot. Wow!
I say call the French embassy immediately.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#22    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,867 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:05 AM

Probably if people captured these snails and fed them tasty vegies and Then ate them, they would taste a lot better. Like the difference between a domesticated duck and a wide duck. Wild duck tastes like water weeds.

View PostZaphod222, on 16 April 2013 - 03:04 AM, said:

It seems these things eat green plants, so it should not be so bad. And think of a rabbit-sized escargot. Wow!
I say call the French embassy immediately.
We could become an Exporting nation again!!!!

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#23    pallidin

pallidin

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,099 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:13 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 16 April 2013 - 03:05 AM, said:

We could become an Exporting nation again!!!!

Oh God, wouldn't THAT be nice.

I'm so sick of the US being primarily an import nation.

CONGRESS... LISTEN UP. WE ARE TELLING YOU SOMETHING REALLY IMPORTANT.

#24    Sundew

Sundew

Poltergeist

• 2,508 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:29 AM

View Postancient astronaut, on 15 April 2013 - 01:11 PM, said:

A snail the size of a rabbit that likes to eat plaster, learn something new everyday.

I think the size is exaggerated, maybe the size of rat, doubtful the size of a rabbit. They sell the shells of these African snails in gift shops, I have never seen one of these shells that would not fit in you hand, and they sell gigantic marine gastropod species in these shops.

Florida had these once before (in the 70s I think), and they managed to eradicate them. They have probably been smuggled back in as "pets" and escaped. This invasion is rather ironic for Florida because in Hawaii where they are also established, they use a predatory snail from Florida which eats them. Found the empty shells of both species lying side by side on Molokai a few years ago.

#25    Sundew

Sundew

Poltergeist

• 2,508 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:32 AM

View PostGatofeo, on 16 April 2013 - 02:57 AM, said:

Blech.

Not sure you would want to eat a snail that has been dining on plaster! Escargot is ok, but for good snails, try fresh conch! Mmmmmm!

#26    AlienDan

AlienDan

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:38 AM

The animals, which can grow to the size of a rabbit, are eating through plaster in the walls of buildings as they attempt to consume the huge amounts of calcium they need to grow their shells.

lol sounds like something out of a movie.

#27    justcalmebubba

justcalmebubba

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 229 posts

• there are many things that bump along in the nite but there are sum of us that bump back

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

Where's mike rowe  when flordia  needs him the most

#28    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,610 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

:rolleyes: *I aplogize in advance for this one. :D

Once there was a snail who was tired of being slow. He went out and bought a really fast sports car and had the dealer paint a big 'S' on each side of it.

Whenever someone saw him zooming past in his new car, they would say, "Hey, look at that S-car go!"

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#29    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,180 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:03 PM

View PostSaru, on 15 April 2013 - 11:11 AM, said:

Large numbers of hungry Giant African Land Snails have descended upon Florida in their thousands.

Carpaccio of Giant African Land Snail

Our recipe exploits the fact that snails cannot digest sugar but will eat it until it brings on anaphylactic shock as the sugar crystalizes in the veins and abdomen of the gastropod.

Firstly feed the snails on sugared almonds for 3-4 weeks. They are ferocious eaters and will go through about 5kg before shock sets in. They will slow down considerably (even for snails) before this happens. One could also just crack them open with a brick, but we want to keep the shell intact.

Now place them in a freezer for about 45 mins.

Remove and slice into 1.5mm – 2mm slivers, shell and all. (You will need a circular tile cutter or a jeweller's fret saw for this.)

Lay the frozen slices in baking trays, and pour over a solution of 1 part salt & 2 parts lime juice to 3 parts water. This removes the slime.

Heat your oven to about 175C.

Carefully rinse the slices several times with fresh water, finally leaving a small amount behind in each tray. Cover with tin foil and place in the oven to steam for an hour or so. The body (foot) of the snail will shrink slightly in the process. Leave to cool to room temperature.

Normally in most land snail recipes, the guts and stomach are dicarded into a neighbours' garden, but in this instance, the four week diet of sugared almonds produce within the snails vital organs, a sweet paste, not unlike marzipan.

Arrange 3 slices on each plate, as in fig. 2 and remove the coiled shell leaving the meat in place (this can be fiddly). Make a coulis by reducing over a brisk heat 1 cup of fresh pomegranate juice, thinly diced shallots and a little honey. Sprinkle the snail with whole pomegranate seeds and pour over a little of the coulis. Serve at room teperature.

http://www.thedomest....com/snail.html

Edited by Abramelin, 16 April 2013 - 01:49 PM.

#30    godnodog

godnodog

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:09 PM

oh how I envy you, we eat them here in Portugal, delicious, we do them better than the French

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users