Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Cameron hails 'big day for welfare reform'

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16    A rather obscure Bassoon

A rather obscure Bassoon

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts

• "The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage."

Mark Russel

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

View Postitsnotoutthere, on 16 April 2013 - 12:37 PM, said:

Channel 4 (i think) are doing a documentary about large families. Last night i watched an episode about an Pakistani family with 11 kids who have to survive on a measly £680 a week on benefits (dad hasn't worked for 11 years)  It was all i could do to hold back the tears ....

This is why they Should cap the number of kids that they will pay Benefits for,it seems crazy rewarding big families in a world that is suffering from overpopulation.

Personally I would cap it at 4 kids and give out Tax Credits on the oldest child only,if you want more kids then get out to work and pay out of your own pocket.

" Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitos. "

Anon.

#17    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• 1,557 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

View Postcatfromhell, on 16 April 2013 - 03:21 PM, said:

Wow, By a whopping `12p an hour, Maybe a few families will be able to eat occasionlly now. Until they decide to lower it which they will do before scrapping it altogether.

That's an extra £250 a year for a 40 hour week. If you think that's insignificant, I have a list of charities you may want to talk to...

And you have no reason to assume they'll lower it or scrap it. The fact that they have just raised it goes completely against your assumptions.

I ask you this: why would they raise it if they plan to scrap it?

'Good' is not the same as 'nice'.
'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#18    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

I bet I could fix the rich/poor gap in this country with the click of my fingers but I'd be dead before I could even be elected. A fair society isn't on *their* agenda. Being in debt to and reliant upon the government is.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#19    CatFromHell

CatFromHell

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:13 PM

Another £250 that they'll manage to claw back somehow. Its a token gesture.  Ok, They said they wouldn't lower it THIS year, They are considering it.

#20    CatFromHell

CatFromHell

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:14 PM

Oh, And charity begin at home. I have enough corrupt people taking money off me, I'm not about about to add to that list.

#21    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,971 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

Is the cost of welfare really the problem? What about the cost of the LIBOR scandal which caused the collapse of the banking system which had to be propped up with government hand outs to the tune of trillions, lining the pockets of the very people who caused the issue through illegal and conspiratorial means.

Of course there is a problem with welfare, but the problem is the mindset of long term recipients, not the cost.

#22    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• 1,557 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:29 PM

View Postcatfromhell, on 16 April 2013 - 08:13 PM, said:

Another £250 that they'll manage to claw back somehow. Its a token gesture.  Ok, They said they wouldn't lower it THIS year, They are considering it.

Paranoia must be such an interesting mindset...

View Postcatfromhell, on 16 April 2013 - 08:14 PM, said:

Oh, And charity begin at home. I have enough corrupt people taking money off me, I'm not about about to add to that list.

How about donating it directly to people in need then? No? I suppose it is a 'whopping 12p and hour'.

'Good' is not the same as 'nice'.
'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#23    CatFromHell

CatFromHell

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:25 PM

I donate to a food bank actually, Something we shouldn't even be seeing this day and age when politicians and the like carry on wasting money. I actually think keeping the minimum wage as it is is a better idea. It puts extra financial strain on small businesses and can encourage some firms to treat staff unfairly etc.

#24    Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

• Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today...
    As You don't know what tomorrow bring's.......

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:34 AM

View PostSetton, on 16 April 2013 - 09:29 PM, said:

Paranoia must be such an interesting mindset...

catfromhell is right, what the government give with one hand they will take back with the other

How is stating that, paranoia, exactly ?

Posted Image

#25    TSS

TSS

Observer

• Closed
  • 5,750 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:59 AM

View Postcatfromhell, on 16 April 2013 - 10:25 PM, said:

I actually think keeping the minimum wage as it is is a better idea. It puts extra financial strain on small businesses and can encourage some firms to treat staff unfairly etc.

The minimum wage is an insult to anyone who earns it, it's at least £2.00p/h less then anything that could be considered a livable wage in this day and age. Infact, 'livable' is being to generous - £8.00p/h is a wage you can exist on after you take into account stoppages....anything more then that and you can actually start to live.

#26    CatFromHell

CatFromHell

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:29 AM

I am well aware of that and as I said im not saying the extra wouldn't be nice, but it will push some businesses and they will struggle to pay, Keeping it as it is at least goes a tiny way to safeguarding peoples jobs a tiny bit more. My employers announced yesterday that it is now putting all staff on a 37 week contract as a result. Its that or redundancies. So it hasn't worked out well for me, I have actually lost a lot of money and more employers will treat staff similarly,I'm not saying all. So how have I benifited, I've lost 11 weeks of pay per year. I am also aware as im sure someone will try and inform me that everyones circumstances are different, my employer employs around 350 people. My employer won't be the only employers to do this either, Out of necessity or an excuse to save a few extra quid.

#27    TSS

TSS

Observer

• Closed
  • 5,750 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:43 AM

View Postcatfromhell, on 17 April 2013 - 07:29 AM, said:

I am well aware of that and as I said im not saying the extra wouldn't be nice, but it will push some businesses and they will struggle to pay, Keeping it as it is at least goes a tiny way to safeguarding peoples jobs a tiny bit more. My employers announced yesterday that it is now putting all staff on a 37 week contract as a result. Its that or redundancies. So it hasn't worked out well for me, I have actually lost a lot of money and more employers will treat staff similarly,I'm not saying all. So how have I benifited, I've lost 11 weeks of pay per year. I am also aware as im sure someone will try and inform me that everyones circumstances are different, my employer employs around 350 people. My employer won't be the only employers to do this either, Out of necessity or an excuse to save a few extra quid.

Well that's the problem, employers have used the minimum wage denegrate many jobs to the lowest they can. The minimum wage was introduced with good intent, but like most things that politicians dream up they put no thought into it. There should have been safe guards in place whereby the minimum wage was a bare minimum, and only a starting point for a fixed minimum period (say 3 to 6 months). What happens though is they used it to roll out 6 month temporary contracts and just keep rolling that method around with a high turn over of staff so as not to keep them on the books for long (no holiday and sick pay then), and keep wages at a minimum.

If you're a company with hundreds of employees then the idea that you can't pay a fair wage is insulting. Take the large distribution companies for example, they need a certain amount of workers just to function, so they would still have to employ the same amount of people even if the wage was higher, it was just be their profits that take a small dent......I won't lose sleep over that..

#28    CatFromHell

CatFromHell

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:28 AM

i understand what you're saying and yes it may be only a small dent to some companies, What about places like Tesco, Asda etc then, Who's going to really pay the cost at the end of the day? I also just think it gives companies like this even more free rein to treat their employees even more unfairly. I'm not saying i'm 100 % right but I dont think my point was invalid Either. I suppose it has up and downsides to it, Like everything else. What do you expect from  Sun reader.

* A sun reader

#29    TSS

TSS

Observer

• Closed
  • 5,750 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:53 AM

View Postcatfromhell, on 17 April 2013 - 08:28 AM, said:

i understand what you're saying and yes it may be only a small dent to some companies, What about places like Tesco, Asda etc then, Who's going to really pay the cost at the end of the day? I also just think it gives companies like this even more free rein to treat their employees even more unfairly. I'm not saying i'm 100 % right but I dont think my point was invalid Either. I suppose it has up and downsides to it, Like everything else. What do you expect from  Sun reader.

* A sun reader

I don't think your point is invalid at all....and i'm not saying that my way will work either, since the downside is that some will probably lose their jobs and what little income that have - so there's no win/win solution that I can see...

I doubt it will happen in my lifetime but I hope one day we have a serious rethink how we value work (and pay) in this country...and make a decent days work for a decent days pay something people want rather then need...

#30    CatFromHell

CatFromHell

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

I think I understand what you're saying though myself and many others do work hard and want a decent days pay it would be great to have some hard earned cash leftover at the end of the month  ,But  It seems for now the best many can hope for scrape on by.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users