Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Cameron hails 'big day for welfare reform'

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31    CatFromHell

CatFromHell

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:22 AM

Which probably helps keep the minimum wage so low in the first place.

#32    TSS

TSS

Observer

• Closed
  • 5,750 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

View Postcatfromhell, on 17 April 2013 - 09:19 AM, said:

I think I understand what you're saying though myself and many others do work hard and want a decent days pay it would be great to have some hard earned cash leftover at the end of the month  ,But  It seems for now the best many can hope for scrape on by.

I worded that slightly wrong - I wasn't implying people don't work hard, quite the opposite. It's just it's almost looked down on now to go and get your hands dirty and do a hard days work.....and reducing these jobs to minimum pay has helped keep people down and not reward them for the important jobs they do..

What I meant by a rethink, was whether it's bin man/woman, warehousemen/woman, shop workers, labourers or the man that sweeps the streets etc, these are all vital jobs, the pay should reflect that, instead of them being the lowest paid and giving the impression that by doing these jobs it's a chore rather then something worth doing...

#33    CatFromHell

CatFromHell

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

I agree, I'm a care worker and have to do ridiculous amounts of training courses etc, I'm happy to do the courses and do the hard work, But that hard work is not sufficiently rewarded. Lots of people are conditioned to think like that now, Including myself by the sound of it! So when the expectations are low, The pay can be kept low, Thats how I see it. I can see how this leads to complacency in the workplace and low standards of work , Thankfully not by all.

Edited by catfromhell, 17 April 2013 - 09:54 AM.

#34    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 9,947 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

View PostSetton, on 16 April 2013 - 04:31 PM, said:

That's an extra £250 a year for a 40 hour week. If you think that's insignificant, I have a list of charities you may want to talk to...

And you have no reason to assume they'll lower it or scrap it. The fact that they have just raised it goes completely against your assumptions.

I ask you this: why would they raise it if they plan to scrap it?

dont forget to add the personal allowance for this tax year 2013/14. which is now £9,440. which means this year minimum wage workers are  £1,335. better off. or £25.67 a week in your pocket - if we include the minimum wage increase - people on minimum wage are £1,585 better off than last year. £30.50 better off a week. not bad.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#35    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• 1,570 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:50 AM

View Poststevewinn, on 17 April 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

dont forget to add the personal allowance for this tax year 2013/14. which is now £9,440. which means this year minimum wage workers are  £1,335. better off. or £25.67 a week in your pocket - if we include the minimum wage increase - people on minimum wage are £1,585 better off than last year. £30.50 better off a week. not bad.

I'd definitely take an extra 1500 a year quite happily!

'Good' is not the same as 'nice'.
'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#36    CatFromHell

CatFromHell

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

I won't as, already stated, my contract has been changed to a 37 week one! Not everyones a winner

#37    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 9,947 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:00 PM

View Postcatfromhell, on 17 April 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

I won't as, already stated, my contract has been changed to a 37 week one! Not everyones a winner

regardless of hours your still £1,335 pound better off. - if people take advantage of a CASH ISA. they could boost that further with the Tax free saving. Cash ISA's were launched in 1999. if people have taken advantage each year of the ISA allowance, they'd have roughly £70,000 in savings so in an average 3% ISA account today you'd earn £2,100 interest tax free PA. thats £40 a week. the ISA works much like your works pension, they only really differ in that the ISA as a yearly allowance of just over five thousand pounds. were your works pension as a limit of £50,000.

Edited by stevewinn, 18 April 2013 - 12:01 PM.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#38    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:02 PM

View Postxsas, on 15 April 2013 - 01:27 PM, said:

• Benefits cap limiting handouts to £500-a-week comes into force
  • Prime Minister says it is 'amazing' that Labour opposes the policy
  • Government claims 8,000 people affected have already found work instead
  • One in 10 families hit by cap has six or more children
View: Full article here

Yet more money removed from the economy. Does the idiot chancellor not realise he keeps reducing demand further and further?

He should increase benefits and put jobseekers on work placements as a condition for their money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users