Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 5 votes

O.D.D. obsessive debunking disorder

• Please log in to reply
246 replies to this topic

#76    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

surd

• 11,025 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:35 PM

View PostOverSword, on 16 April 2013 - 09:12 PM, said:

OK, it's you vs. Sakari.  RIP ouija! :w00t:
PFFFT!! :ph34r:

This ..... this is your life as it passed before other people's eyes.

italics don't really work in comic sans, do they? :/                                                                                      

#77    Stardrive

Stardrive

Resident Bass Guitarist

• 3,267 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:42 PM

When I first became a member here I used to debate in the CT forums.

Who here remembers the NAU (North American Union) CT? The Amero? All the p***ed off Canadians swearing up and down it was true and the US was behind it?

And the reality was really what?  

The CT'ist ate it up like it was the last piece of candy on the planet, without looking into it for themselves.

Posted Image

#78    Glorfindel

Glorfindel

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

• The answer to 1984, is uhhh... 1812?

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:00 PM

View PostMerc14, on 16 April 2013 - 02:22 AM, said:

It is funny how the CT's rationalize their madness by declaring anyone who disagrees with their silliness a close-minded, angry, slave to the orthodoxy and those who believe in patently ridiculous theories as open-minded, intelligent and happy people put down by the man.  LMAO.  Come on, you guys are still pushing "We didn't land on the moon", "911 was an inside job" and "Aliens abduct people at night but no one ever sees it".  Zero proof against reams of proof and we are the idiots?  Oy vey.

I guess it makes you feel good to be told by Mr. Sheridan that believing in crazy things makes you a superior person and as far as I am concerned that is fine, feel good but just be aware it doesn't mean your beliefs are true or even rational.  I am not a complete skeptic that has seen things in my travels that I can't explain but I don't leap to irrational conclusions to explain these things.

BTW , I posted this to give my CT buds some red meat to chew on until a few more of the rational folk chime in.  Enjoy the gristle.  LOL

You forgot Reptilians, Planet X and Ancient Aliens. This just reaffirms our views when all you can do associate all conspiratorial thought with the crazy stuff. The exaxt same technique used by the media to discredit any arguments that go against the gub'mint's word.

#79    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 5,221 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:10 PM

Maybe we need to redefine this thread.   Since it is in the CT section, does this mean that believers don't include bigfoot, aliens and that type of stuff.  
Is this CT believers vs CT skeptics?

#80    Glorfindel

Glorfindel

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

• The answer to 1984, is uhhh... 1812?

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:17 PM

There are so many conspiracy theories, it seems self-evident that not all "believers" believe them all. It should be self-evident that not all of them are real too, thats where this thing called critical thinking comes into play. I think you'll find a great deal of "us" don't mix conspiracies with the supernatural. But obviously I can't speak for everyone.

Edited by Glorfindel, 16 April 2013 - 10:18 PM.

#81    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 5,221 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:39 PM

View PostGlorfindel, on 16 April 2013 - 10:17 PM, said:

There are so many conspiracy theories, it seems self-evident that not all "believers" believe them all. It should be self-evident that not all of them are real too, thats where this thing called critical thinking comes into play. I think you'll find a great deal of "us" don't mix conspiracies with the supernatural. But obviously I can't speak for everyone.
I can buy that.    No! Wait your pulling my leg.

#82    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,951 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:28 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 16 April 2013 - 08:30 PM, said:

I'm volunteering! :w00t:

Two members enter, one member leaves! Two members enter, one member leaves!

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#83    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 7,157 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:12 AM

View Postpraetorian-legio XIII, on 16 April 2013 - 03:36 PM, said:

Why, because it has been proven, it was poorly run, and the attempted cover up was blown. Whats left to talk about. Obama's pupett holder shut it down and sadly no one in a position to do something about it gives a s**t!

So you avoid a real, NS conspiracy that resulted in the deaths of hundreds?  Why?  My theory is it is much easier to confront the imaginary and rail against the machine than to rail against the machine when it has actually committed a provable crime.  Cowardice perhaps?  Too hard most definitely.  Fighting myths is fun because there is no real enemy there, you hurl your feces at a nonexistent foe and tell us how brave you are and what cowards and sheep we are.  Fighting the real Big Brother conspiracies is scary so you guys avoid it, or make silly excuses like the one above.  "nuff said

Believing when there is no compelling evidence is a mistake.  The idea is to withhold belief until there is compelling evidence and if the universe does not comply with our predispositions, okay, then we have the wrenching obligation to accommodate to the way the universe really is.  - Carl Sagan

Who is more humble, the scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us or somebody who says everything in this book should be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of the human beings involved in the writing of this legend - Carl Sagan

#84    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 7,157 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:36 AM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 16 April 2013 - 05:37 PM, said:

It was YOU who used the term madness, not I.

You're very theatrical aren't you?

I merely pointed out that calling people mad for questioning government stories that happen to be full of contradictions is a sign of the times.  Calling people 'mad' for questioning government stories provides considerable insight, at least in my opinion.

The word "madness' does not mean the person it is directed at is mad, it merely means their actions at a given time are madness considering the evidence offered.   One can be accused of being  "madly in love" yet that person would never think that they had been accused of being insane. You did, however, which is interesting.

I did not attack you, I merely pointed out that calling people mad for questioning the government is a sign of the times.  How does that attack you?

Come on man, my post was mostly in jest.  It was designed to get some traffic and start the battle.  In the famous words of Bill Murray, "Lighten up Francis."

I agree with your examples regarding F&F and Benghazi, and that makes me all the more curious as to why you believe the nonsensical story regarding the events of 11 September.  It is YOU who is being rather inconsistent in your analyses of government stories.  You question F&F but accept 19 arabs with box cutters?  :cry:

The facts of 911 are what they are.  We got hit because we were wide open.  I was over there, fought in wars there and met the people on both sides.  911 isn't a conspiracy, it is the result of complacency and a people that felt they were insulated from the real world.  We got hit and we hit back.

Here is a little secret about things to come.  Obama has been knocking off the leadership of the bad guys for years instead of grabbing them up and asking questions.  Somehow assassination is OK with the left but hard questioning isn't.  Regardless, the result is our intel has dried up.  A year ago people started coming out and telling the media that this action will result in renewed attacks within two years.  Well, they were wrong, it took just a year.  This is a conspiracy you should use your energy on.

Believing when there is no compelling evidence is a mistake.  The idea is to withhold belief until there is compelling evidence and if the universe does not comply with our predispositions, okay, then we have the wrenching obligation to accommodate to the way the universe really is.  - Carl Sagan

Who is more humble, the scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us or somebody who says everything in this book should be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of the human beings involved in the writing of this legend - Carl Sagan

#85    Czero 101

Czero 101

Earthshattering Kaboom

• 5,384 posts

• We are all made of thermonuclear waste material

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:40 AM

View PostMerc14, on 17 April 2013 - 12:36 AM, said:

In the famous words of Bill Murray, "Lighten up Francis."

Big huge +1 :tu: props for the Stripes reference... but.... its was Warren "Sgt. Hulka" Oates who said that... :)

Carry on... :D

Cz

Edited by Czero 101, 17 April 2013 - 12:41 AM.

"You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep seated need to believe..." - Carl Sagan
"I'm tired of ignorance held up as inspiration, where vicious anti-intellectualism is considered a positive trait, and where uninformed opinion is displayed as fact." - Phil Plait
"For it is the natural tendency of the ignorant to believe what is not true. In order to overcome that tendency it is not sufficient to exhibit the true; it is also necessary to expose and denounce the false." - H. L. Mencken

#86    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 7,157 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:43 AM

View PostGlorfindel, on 16 April 2013 - 10:00 PM, said:

You forgot Reptilians, Planet X and Ancient Aliens. This just reaffirms our views when all you can do associate all conspiratorial thought with the crazy stuff. The exaxt same technique used by the media to discredit any arguments that go against the gub'mint's word.

As I said to the other CT taking himself to seriously, "Lighten up Francis." the damn post was in jest to get some traffic started.

Edited by Merc14, 17 April 2013 - 12:57 AM.

#87    ali smack

ali smack

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

• If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:47 AM

I think that article could describe some hardcore conspriracy theorists as well, who assume everyone who doesn't believe in them is an "Idiot"
And believe everything so-called theorists tell them.
Personally I look at both sides 2 a story. I do research and then make my own mind up what's real and what's not.

#88    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 7,157 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:52 AM

View PostCzero 101, on 17 April 2013 - 12:40 AM, said:

Big huge +1 :tu: props for the Stripes reference... but.... its was Warren "Sgt. Hulka" Oates who said that... :)

Carry on... :D

You are absolutely correct sir and I thank you for straightening me out.  As proof this is NOT a conspiracy I post this.

#89    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 3,143 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:25 AM

View PostMerc14, on 17 April 2013 - 12:12 AM, said:

So you avoid a real, NS conspiracy that resulted in the deaths of hundreds?  Why?  My theory is it is much easier to confront the imaginary and rail against the machine than to rail against the machine when it has actually committed a provable crime.  Cowardice perhaps?  Too hard most definitely.  Fighting myths is fun because there is no real enemy there, you hurl your feces at a nonexistent foe and tell us how brave you are and what cowards and sheep we are.  Fighting the real Big Brother conspiracies is scary so you guys avoid it, or make silly excuses like the one above.  "nuff said

I have to agree with this. I think another big part of it though is that everyone protects their own party.The mentality is that "My party cant be the party that did anything wrong"  :blush:

which is how presidents get away with stuff. Half of the country will always defend them.

Edited by spartan max2, 17 April 2013 - 03:28 AM.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#90    No Censorship

No Censorship

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:25 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 16 April 2013 - 04:20 AM, said:

Well said, and I agree with you on the merits of your statement. But, in this, there really is no 'middle ground', is there?

How can you/we/us divide the pie 'in half'? Truth, as far as I know, has no grey area.

Maybe we should move this to the philosophy forum. :)

Thanks, Likely Guy. Maybe there is a middle ground that recognizes that the truth sometimes can be found at the fringes. It doesn't matter if the fringe is on the left or the right, as both sides are sometimes correct. It simply depends on the issue at hand. Like you said, the truth is the truth. Bill Ayers was involved in terrorism. Smedley Butler stopped robber barons and wealthy fascists from turning our country into a dictatorship. Both conspiracy *facts* happened, and they fit into political categories that are embraced by people who don't agree on much. I read a few conspiracy books. Some had a conservative Republican tenor. Some had a liberal Democrat tone. I was aggravated and irritated by the fact that they ignored accounts that didn't fit their political beliefs. Real life is more nuanced and subtle than many conspiracy theories would have it. We should try to be as pragmatic as possible, but that can be extremely difficult to do when we discover that somebody on "our team" is a bad guy. The bad guys count on it.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users