Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Believe or not to believe

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1    danbell06

danbell06

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 322 posts

• BNAG.... < That's Bang out of order!

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:49 PM

How many people on UM have been turned to skeptics, regarding, not just bigfoot, but all mythical creatures since signing up?

Before i joined I was 100% certain that bigfoot could in fact co-habituate with us.
Ever since then I've became evermore skeptical with each apparent new piece of evidence.
I am disappointed, but it's not the end of the world.
My personal view is that maybe years ago bigfoot did used to walk around, chase deer, kidnap old people (like ostman), have they're wicked way with people (like Ketchum). But the evidence is getting worse. Actually no. I'll rephrase. The evidence just isn't there.

So, has joining made you more skeptical or has signing up solidified your belief?

Edited by danbell06, 16 April 2013 - 09:50 PM.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
Posted Image

#2    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,407 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:21 PM

It really hasn't changed my mind about Bigfoot.  I still think that maybe its possible because new creatures or ones that are thought to be extinct are still being found.

#3    evancj

evancj

Poltergeist

• 2,767 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:26 PM

I use to believe up until my late teens (long before the internet). I thought it would only be a matter of time before nessy or bigfoot was caught or killed. But that time never came, so I had no choice but to conclude it was all a bunch of BS.

#4    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:54 PM

My opinions haven't changed either, I'm open to the possibility but, much like evancj, nothing has ever really come of it. I remember being a total skeptic about it up until the early nineties, that's when one friend confided in me about seeing one, then some five or six years later another friend did the same thing. Both lived in different areas of the southeast. Mind you, after the second guy told me about what he saw I started doing some serious research on the web, of course the web was pretty new then. As time progressed there were a number of things I could rationalize.

1. No bodies
2. No evidence in the Geological record (fossils)
3. No accidental capture or kills.
4. No skeletons.
5. Evidence we do have, footprints etc. could easily be faked and often are.
6. No good pictures of video, other than the PGF.

After all this time there should have been something.

Granted, there are accounts that go back to the 1800's that allude to Bigfoots being encountered, but when you take into consideration that humans have sprawled out all over the country now creating lost of habitat and such; how come we don't have more evidence?

.....and yet, I can't discount the stories told to me by my two friends.

#5    dannyboy52

dannyboy52

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 107 posts

• You Can Fool Some People All Of The Time,And All Of The People Some Of The Time, But You Cant Fool All Of The People All Of The Time

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:55 PM

I am always an eternal optimist, but not a follower of blind faith. I honestly havent changed my "maybe" opinion since I grew up in the 60's.

#6    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,866 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:20 AM

My very own personal opinion, no matter how arguable it is, is:
My time on UM has just continued to solidify for me that this creature is a myth. What people are seeing I don't know. But I do know it is not a Bigfoot.

I can't ignore, what to me, is an obvious rich history and background of how this myth came to unfold. Full of characters, story-tellers, pseudoscience, conmen, and twisted historical accounts  and that's just for starters.

I've heard just about all the arguments against my personal opinion, as well. I'm still not swayed. However I once was a believer, briefly.

That said, I do not think all believers are "delusional" or would I call all those who claim to have evidence "conmen" or those who search "foolish" or those who claim encounters "liars". Obviously to them, this is not a myth and that is their opinion and they have every right to it. And I can certainly relate to their interest enjoyment in the subject.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 17 April 2013 - 12:23 AM.

#7    fawkes2

fawkes2

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:18 AM

It has changed me to be a bit more skeptical then before but my views on bigfoot has not changed, i'm a believer on them. I have never seen them but I have found bigfoot prints on my grandparents farm.

Posted Image

#8    Esoteric Toad

Esoteric Toad

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

• Where does one get certified as an "Ancient Astronaut Theorist" or "Cryptozoologist"?

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:44 AM

The internet changed everything for me. I approached the net as a potential world of hidden knowledge. Sort of like a lost library of eldritch information locked away.

In the end I have learned so much and still am. Critical thinking has dispelled so many of the mythological cryptids. It has opened my eyes to how unlikely almost all paranormal/supernatural things are.

To me this is not a bad thing. With critical thinking I believe that if something supernatural does happen it will be less likely to be dismissed. Furthermore I find trying to work out what it is that makes people believe so easily fascinating.

Edited for a typo.

Edited by Esoteric Toad, 17 April 2013 - 03:45 AM.

#9    Slave2Fate

Slave2Fate

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,506 posts

• If you don't believe the sun will rise
    Stand alone and greet the coming night
    In the last remaining light -Audioslave

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:43 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 17 April 2013 - 12:20 AM, said:

My very own personal opinion, no matter how arguable it is, is:
My time on UM has just continued to solidify for me that this creature is a myth. What people are seeing I don't know. But I do know it is not a Bigfoot.

I can't ignore, what to me, is an obvious rich history and background of how this myth came to unfold. Full of characters, story-tellers, pseudoscience, conmen, and twisted historical accounts  and that's just for starters.

I've heard just about all the arguments against my personal opinion, as well. I'm still not swayed. However I once was a believer, briefly.

That said, I do not think all believers are "delusional" or would I call all those who claim to have evidence "conmen" or those who search "foolish" or those who claim encounters "liars". Obviously to them, this is not a myth and that is their opinion and they have every right to it. And I can certainly relate to their interest enjoyment in the subject.

^ This.

I joined UM to find out more about Bigfoot initially. It was out of mere curiosity to begin with. I had heard the stories however I had only associated them with a myth like fairies or werewolves. Having spent a few years poring over all of the evidence for and against their existence I'd have to say that the possibility of Bigfoot being real is near zero. No amount of eyewitness testimony or inconclusive DNA is going to change that, you could stack the anecdotes a mile high and they won't have the evidentiary weight of a single fact. If they exist and if they possess the traits attributed to them (that's two enormous if's) then they are like no other creature ever to grace this planet, which actually speaks against their existence as well.

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#10    Zeta Reticulum

Zeta Reticulum

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:21 AM

Well, this forum is miss named..... It should be called Explained Mysteries..... because everyman and his dog can explain EVERYTHING ever posted here.... (mostly swamp gas)

Edited by Zeta Reticulum, 17 April 2013 - 08:17 AM.

#11    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,866 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:15 AM

View PostZeta Reticulum, on 17 April 2013 - 07:21 AM, said:

Well, this forum is miss named..... It should be called Explained Mysteries..... because everyman and his dog can explain EVERYTHING ever poster here.... (mostly swamp gas)

Why? There are science topics and news topics and nature topics and fun and games topics and television and computers and gaming and photography and book and art and music topics and...are we limited to only the unexplained here? I don't see that.

This very thread is under a section that includes "myths" in the title.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 17 April 2013 - 08:19 AM.

#12    Zeta Reticulum

Zeta Reticulum

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:18 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 17 April 2013 - 08:15 AM, said:

Why? There are science topics and news topics and nature topics and fun and games topics and television and book and art and music topics and...are we limited to only the unexplained here?
Well that's what the forum is called .... Unexplained Mysteries ..... go figure

#13    Slave2Fate

Slave2Fate

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,506 posts

• If you don't believe the sun will rise
    Stand alone and greet the coming night
    In the last remaining light -Audioslave

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:14 PM

View PostZeta Reticulum, on 17 April 2013 - 07:21 AM, said:

Well, this forum is miss named..... It should be called Explained Mysteries..... because everyman and his dog can explain EVERYTHING ever posted here.... (mostly swamp gas)

You may as well try to hold back the tides, it may be more productive than complaining about human nature. You've stumbled across the very essence of the drive that gave us things like automobiles, TV's, cell phones and even what helped us put man on the moon. The desire to understand the world around us and find answers gives us a sense of control and safety, even if they are illusory. Granted not every explanation is true, on either side, however if you can back up an explanation with factual data then you have given yourself a pretty good head start in that direction.

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#14    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:19 PM

View Postevancj, on 16 April 2013 - 10:26 PM, said:

I use to believe up until my late teens (long before the internet). I thought it would only be a matter of time before nessy or bigfoot was caught or killed. But that time never came, so I had no choice but to conclude it was all a bunch of BS.

Ditto for me. In the 70's only idiots and old closed-minded fools didn't believe that Bigfoot was wandering around our forests. We even got the creature on motion picture film!!! What more do you need??? It was only a matter of time before more Bigfoot was captured on more footage and we would find more of them and learned about how they lived. That would completely change everything we knew about biology.

We are now in the futuristic year of 2013. We have not sent men to Mars. We do not have hotels in space. And despite that millions of video recorders have been taken into the forests, we're still looking at the same 16mm film that supposedly was Bigfoot but now looks a lot more like a guy in a suit.

#15    danbell06

danbell06

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 322 posts

• BNAG.... < That's Bang out of order!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:05 PM

View Postscowl, on 17 April 2013 - 04:19 PM, said:

Ditto for me. In the 70's only idiots and old closed-minded fools didn't believe that Bigfoot was wandering around our forests. We even got the creature on motion picture film!!! What more do you need??? It was only a matter of time before more Bigfoot was captured on more footage and we would find more of them and learned about how they lived. That would completely change everything we knew about biology.

We are now in the futuristic year of 2013. We have not sent men to Mars. We do not have hotels in space. And despite that millions of video recorders have been taken into the forests, we're still looking at the same 16mm film that supposedly was Bigfoot but now looks a lot more like a guy in a suit.

As much as it pains me to admit, the Patterson Gimlin Film WAS a hoax.
How do I know?
They both lied on numerous occasions about being the only 2 there that day. They werent. There is a video that shows a cut in the film and another man is seen there with them.

Bit gutted, but so what. Life goes on!

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users