Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 3 votes

GMO corn to be highly toxic

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#106    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,018 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:49 PM

View Postthird_eye, on 08 July 2013 - 02:32 PM, said:

[...]
Wow, impressive, I'll give you a time to come out with fallacies, you just posted....Tthere will be none. We all fed by anecdotes... Do I have to explain?

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown).
Zhoom! What was that? That was your life, Mate! Oh, that was quick. Do I get another? Sorry, Mate. That's your lot. Basil Fawlty (John Cleese).

#107    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,314 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

View Postbmk1245, on 08 July 2013 - 02:49 PM, said:

Wow, impressive, I'll give you a time to come out with fallacies, you just posted....Tthere will be none. We all fed by anecdotes... Do I have to explain?

Fallacy you Fallacy me ... we dance around the truthful Non GM Tree ... at least no need for the insults ... Do I have to spell it out ?

~

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#108    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,850 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:01 PM

Wow folks, debate nice please... No need to be uncivil to get one's point across.

#109    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,112 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:28 AM

View Postbmk1245, on 04 July 2013 - 07:39 PM, said:

Wait... WHAT?!!! All this GMO fearmongering has FALLACY/HYPOCRISY/LIE written all over it. Gimme a break...

The same research as in mutation breeding outcome case plus more.

Read Hilander's last link, and try to put some gears in the brain.

Please, spare me, I don't want to hear anecdotes from series "I can feed 400 from 1 acre".

Wait... WHAT?!!! Now its socioeconomic problems? Let me guess, Monsanto traveled back in time and created socioeconomic problems. Thats neat and sound...

What Bt cotton has to do with Roundup Ready line and "glycophodphates"? Of course, if you spray glyphosate (with adds) solutions on Bt crops, it will be bad, even disastrous. I don't think that is the case.
BTW, spraying less Bt pesticides is bad or good?

Oh dear..., you are missing the point totatlly. You are ranting on about hypocracy. Don't you see that Somone being a hypocrit says nothing about the argument they are giving. I'll give you an example. I argue that it is evil to kill Somone, then you say but you throw baby's from cliffs. Yeah so.... It's still evil to kill  wether I throw babies from cliffs or not. You are continuing to think you are are somehow invalidating the FACT the GMOs pose severe health and other risks to the by pointing out the flaws in others. In FACT, if  an 'organic' farmer uses spent nuclear fuel to cure his pigs of cancer ( i made this up) would not change the validity of his argument that GMOs are dangerous. His highly dangerous practice has nothing to do with GMOs and are two completely different subjects .

Do you get it now? Pointing out flaws in others to discredit their arguments is asinine. No one gives a rats ass what you think about organic practices it might be hypocritical and it might not. It's only an attempt on your part to muddy the waters. The discussion is about GMOs.

Questioning bad science and corporate greed is not a conspiracy theory ;)

I'm not worried about the the gene itself. I happen to know that enzymes and acid in my stomach will denature the proteins making these genes into mush. This is continually the wrong approach. The gene itself is most likely not a problem it's what we do with it that is dangerous. I.e dumping tons of herbicides and pesticides on nearly every crop. It's lunacy to declare the gene itself safe without understanding the system and its impact as a whole. More diversion and corporate word smithing.  

There is more than anecdote, when it comes to sustainable agriculture. Farmers keep books, pay taxes, and have bank accounts there genius.

I'm beginning to wonder if you you have paid any attention to what's going on or are in that particular industry or something. You seem to be ignoring the facts on purpose and looking for diversions away from the facts. Why on earth would you think that dumping more and more herbicides and pesticides without fully understanding the ramifications would be a good thing? Rolling the dice with our food supply seems retry moronic. Do you have any thing to offer showing that what GMOs allow people to do is safe?

Edited by Seeker79, 09 July 2013 - 10:48 AM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#110    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

View Postbmk1245, on 06 July 2013 - 09:17 PM, said:

I merely pointed out double standards/hypocrisy ... Bur thats funny: you accuse me of fallacy, and in the same breath you throw fallacious argument into the play. What it has to do with authors of the paper, or journal? Or journals, authors of particular paper, used data from?!

I was simply responding to your post regarding all of the problem with "non-GM" crops. I felt that you were trying to divert the attention away from GMOs to all of the problems that are also incurred by "organic" farming. My particular problem with your source of information was that the company that owns the website admitted to putting out Journals disgiused to be scientific studies when really they were just sponsored stories (read:paid for) by Big Pharm (specifically Merck).

View Postbmk1245, on 06 July 2013 - 09:17 PM, said:

Did you actually check out the article? Again, this brings me to my number one problem with GMOs. I did check out your links. I don´t give the second much credit but it is certainly hard to ignore the first one. Just as in the article that I linked you to, there are many highly-respected scientists that come down on both sides of this issue. It seems difficult to find long-term studies that offer conclusive results around the effects of GMOs on an individuals health. It seems everyone has their agenda. As third-eye mentioned, you trust in your sources and he trusts in his. If there was real definitive proof that all GMOs are not harmful to an individual, I think this thread would be a lot shorter. There seems to be real genuine concern on behalf of many highly-respected scientists that there just hasn´t been enough research done to conclusively state they are safe. I have already acknowledged in a previous post that the study from the OP is questionable at best. I´ve also clearly stated why your links to your study are dubious IMO.

That being said, here is another link that discusses the negative effects of Round-up on mammals. I find it hard to ignore this pesticide as it is by far one of the most commonly used throughout the world. If you dig, I´m sure you will find problems with the source just as many have with sources that claim that it is safe.

Abstract: Glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup®, is the most popular herbicide used worldwide. The industry asserts it is minimally toxic to humans, but here we argue otherwise. Residues are found in the main foods of the Western diet, comprised primarily of sugar, corn, soy and wheat. Glyphosate's inhibition of cytochrome P450 (CYP) enzymes is an overlooked component of its toxicity to mammals. CYP enzymes play crucial roles in biology, one of which is to detoxify xenobiotics. Thus, glyphosate enhances the damaging effects of other food borne chemical residues and environmental toxins. Negative impact on the body is insidious and manifests slowly over time as inflammation damages cellular systems throughout the body.
Full Pdf study can be downloaded from link.  http://www.mdpi.com/...-4300/15/4/1416

Here is another interesting article that I just came across posted today.

Pesticide use is skyrocketing across the Midwestern U.S. corn belt, as biotech companies like Syngenta and AMVAC Chemical watch their pesticide sales spike 50 to 100 percent over the past two years, NPR reported Tuesday.

The culprit? Bt corn—a type of genetically engineered corn with insecticide built into its genes.

Variations of this corn strain—peddled across the world by large multinationals including Monstanto and Syngenta—are giving rise to Bt resistant insects and worms, studies show.

NPR reports that resistant 'pests' are decimating entire cornfields across Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota and Nebraska.

Yet, now that the targeted insect killings are not working, big agribusiness is simply throwing pesticides at the problem instead of moving away from GMOs.

This is despite warnings last year from the Environmental Protection Agency that unrestrained use of Bt corn will off-set the balance of the ecosystem.

The revelation comes after scientists recently warned that pollution runoff from Midwestern farms, carried to the ocean by the Mississippi, is slated to create the largest ocean dead zone recorded in the Gulf of Mexico, choking marine life that crosses its path.

http://www.commondre...ne/2013/07/09-6

Edited by jugoso, 10 July 2013 - 03:26 PM.

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#111    Malaria_Kidd

Malaria_Kidd

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 374 posts

• My old snopes dot com handle of Coal Glow Kidd is now at Connect Pal dot com. Read posts I would be too leery of posting elsewhere on the Web.

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:35 PM

View Postbmk1245, on 07 July 2013 - 09:26 AM, said:

I thought so, no proof of GMO corn to be highly toxic. What a surprise.

And that bogus claim
Goes down the drain

BTW, you should get rid off the third eye, and grow more grey matter instead.

Do the GMO - NON GMO grain taste test yourself my friend. The mice, squirrels, geese, ducks, deer, pigs, horses and cattle know the difference and avoid GMO grains when they have a choice. It is a proven fact that our White House and Monsanto's cafeterias serve strictly organic foods. Big Agra and Big Pharma have fooled with Mum Nature! That fooling around is not good for anyone nor was it good for GMO grain fed rats that grew large tumors posted world wide on the Net!

There is a dark side to all of this fooling my friend! Most of it is for fiat bills called money and a monopoly of their biotech seeds making our foods rotten tech!

People don't have a choice when they should have labels showing GMO ingredients. But there are lists showing all the big food brand names to avoid! :hmm:

It looks like I woke this one up big time! Hilander and I don't get e-mail notices of action. I hope most of you do.

http://www.unexplain...pic=152891&st=0 SCANIA Hit! My BIG bump in the night!

"It Was A Dark and Creepy Night" by Joshua P. Warren/ page 180 for "I.5 Million Safe Miles"
https://www.connectp...om/Malaria_Kidd More there too mysterious for the skeptics at UM.

#112    WHO U KIDDIN

WHO U KIDDIN

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 251 posts

• To deny another man's humanity is to deny your own.

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:28 PM

Hey...So what if animals prefer organic over GMO!

http://prof77.wordpr...ds-but-so-what/

But if Mikey likes it, it must be great!

#113    Malaria_Kidd

Malaria_Kidd

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 374 posts

• My old snopes dot com handle of Coal Glow Kidd is now at Connect Pal dot com. Read posts I would be too leery of posting elsewhere on the Web.

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:42 PM

When that great Life ceral commercial was aired a million + times. Genetically Modified plants had no biotechi Organisms in our (cereal) foods. GM was cool by it's self giving the food science folks credit for better tastes, colors and sizes. Tomatoes and veggies have run the gamut of change the same way. Broccoli came into being from a roof top garden in New York City! :tsu:

I still think the whole movement against lab tampered FRANKENGMOs as OUR bioengineered "seeds of life" & labeling for the concerned consumer world wide will always be, "A rough row to hoe!" :sleepy: Mainly because too many say, " Hey! So what......"

"It Was A Dark and Creepy Night" by Joshua P. Warren/ page 180 for "I.5 Million Safe Miles"
https://www.connectp...om/Malaria_Kidd More there too mysterious for the skeptics at UM.

#114    Malaria_Kidd

Malaria_Kidd

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:53 PM

Hello WhowUKiddin!

That link was a super contribution to Hilander's hot topic, sometimes off topic. LOL

It is bookmarked at this pc like many UM guests will bookmark if for further references. Thanks and sharpen your best hoe for the rough row ahead with Big Agra, Big Pharma and a too big for it's pants Washington D.C.!

#115    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:46 PM

I think finding out GMO causes cancer will be like when they finally realized the HPV virus gives men cancer of the throat.  It will go on for years until they can come up with a test that proves it came from GMO corn.

#116    WHO U KIDDIN

WHO U KIDDIN

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:49 PM

Perhaps it won't take years before the truth on GMO foods causing cancer is discovered....

New Study Links GMO Food To Leukemia

A groundbreaking new study published in the current issue of the Journal of Hematology & Thromboembolic Diseases reveals the potential "leukemogenic" properties of the Bt toxin biopesticides engineered into the vast majority of GMO food crops already within the US food supply. ...

http://www.greenmedi...o-food-leukemia

Edited by WHO U KIDDIN, 15 July 2013 - 03:50 PM.

#117    Malaria_Kidd

Malaria_Kidd

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

WhoUKiddin,

Thanks for the new study the GMO fans/skeptics (of Hilander's thread) would find a way to debunk in a 1,000 words or less. I have it bookmarked, Tweeted, and early on I voted this one 5 Stars. Voting is legal here after you register as a member. You don't need to show an I.D. either!

#118    WHO U KIDDIN

WHO U KIDDIN

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:09 PM

View PostMalaria_Kidd, on 15 July 2013 - 06:49 PM, said:

WhoUKiddin,

Thanks for the new study the GMO fans/skeptics (of Hilander's thread) would find a way to debunk in a 1,000 words or less. I have it bookmarked, Tweeted, and early on I voted this one 5 Stars. Voting is legal here after you register as a member. You don't need to show an I.D. either!
:tu:

#119    Malaria_Kidd

Malaria_Kidd

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:07 AM

Hilander and WhoUKidden, thumbs up again!

This was a surprise this evening from Twitter. Things are getting serious!

This link is here to advise all to watch your backs, watch the fields next to your home or subdivision as a fore warning. This past fire chief does not condone what this link implies. Posting this is just a heads up on a vastly popular web site!

https://twitter.com/BurnFields

#120    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:30 PM

Nor would I condone burning someones field.  That wouldn't hurt Monsanto but it would the owner.  If the fire gets out of hand and kills someone that will get you charged with manslaughter maybe even murder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users