Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

What did Edgar Rice Burroughs know?


  • Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#181    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

    A complete moral vacuum

  • Member
  • 30,125 posts
  • Joined:09 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Garmisch-Partenkirchen

  • Vampires are people too.

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:29 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 19 April 2013 - 05:13 AM, said:

All these icons and emoticons and even italics seem to be unavailable to me. The "More Reply Options" has check boxes for "enable emoticons?" and so on, but they don't do anything.
Maybe you've got the 'toggle editing mode' switch set to off? At the top left hand corner of the reply box, (next to that red and white thing that looks like a pill) there's a little thing like a switch. Try clicking on it.

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.


#182    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

    Blue fish

  • Member
  • 17,137 posts
  • Joined:22 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:55 AM

I should do as Bee says and start a theme in the proper place.  

I take it the "reply box" is the box labeled "Reply to this topic" which then has my little fish below it and an empty box for typing.  There is nothing else.

In the lower right there are two boxes, one for "post" (defaulted) and one for "More Reply Options" where I go to attach files.


#183    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

    A complete moral vacuum

  • Member
  • 30,125 posts
  • Joined:09 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Garmisch-Partenkirchen

  • Vampires are people too.

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:06 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 19 April 2013 - 06:55 AM, said:

I should do as Bee says and start a theme in the proper place.  

I take it the "reply box" is the box labeled "Reply to this topic" which then has my little fish below it and an empty box for typing.  There is nothing else.

In the lower right there are two boxes, one for "post" (defaulted) and one for "More Reply Options" where I go to attach files.
You can use the Quote button as well, but it does the same thing. Above the reply box there's two rows of icons; if you check the one at the top left, just above the row with Bold and Italic and so on, there's somethign called 'Toggle editing mode'. if it's turned off, all the icons are faint. If you turn it on, they become bold.

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.


#184    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

    Blue fish

  • Member
  • 17,137 posts
  • Joined:22 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:26 AM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 19 April 2013 - 07:06 AM, said:

You can use the Quote button as well, but it does the same thing. Above the reply box there's two rows of icons; if you check the one at the top left, just above the row with Bold and Italic and so on, there's somethign called 'Toggle editing mode'. if it's turned off, all the icons are faint. If you turn it on, they become bold.
As you can see I used the quote button.  Above the reply box there is a row that allows me to go to PREV but no other stuff like you describe.  I appreciate all this, but I've lived with this situation so long its ok.


#185    Harte

Harte

    Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence. He whose k

  • Member
  • 11,480 posts
  • Joined:06 Aug 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Memphis

  • Skeptic

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

View Postbee, on 19 April 2013 - 05:07 AM, said:

If you are going to paraphrase what I have said, try and do it correctly...or it makes you look, ........ lazy... ^_^

No, I'm basically describing you and others like you.

As long as you can proclaim that science hides the truth from us, you have no reason to expend the energy required to learn exactly how it is that you are wrong.

This tends to propagate ignorance.

Harte

Edited by Harte, 19 April 2013 - 01:10 PM.

Posted Image
See the new Harte Mark III
And the Mayan panoramas on my pyramid pajamas haven't helped my little problem. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Anybody like Coleridge?

#186    conspiracy buff

conspiracy buff

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 158 posts
  • Joined:05 Apr 2013
  • Gender:Male

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

How does the saying go?  "Those who believe don't need any proof and for skeptics, no proof will do".  Jim Marrs sums it up perfectly in his book "Alien Agenda" when he says that it is a "clashing of mindsets".  You either believe there is active life out there and that there is a cover up, or you simply ignore all the circumstantial evidence that would strong imply so.

I'm all for scientific proof of aliens and these authors having knowledge about that which they write about.  That part I believe is just great imagination and coincidence.  These people had to sell books and did so by imagining great things.  Edgar Rice Burroughs and H.G. Wells are great examples of this.  However, when talking about the Mars topic, there have been a lot of omitted evidence covered up by NASA and other institutions that would know about these realities.  Just look at their photos of Mars[and even other planets] and how they are edited and cut.  Why would these photos need to be edited?  Is there something there they don't want the public to know?  Even the most hardened skeptic would have to admit there seems to be logic behind changing pictures and lying about what the official story is versus what may actually be out there.  What those motives behind the logic are remains a question to which it is up to each individual to decide.  It does seem like more and more these types of things are swept under the rug so to speak and we are expected to ignore them.

Edited by conspiracy buff, 19 April 2013 - 01:34 PM.

There is a grain of truth in every conspiracy known to man, you just have to be intelligent enough to find it.

#187    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

    Blue fish

  • Member
  • 17,137 posts
  • Joined:22 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

Scientific revolutions tend to happen like that.  First you have the established view, with the overwhelming evidence behind it and universal scholarly acceptance.  Then data or observations or maybe just thought experiments begin to raise doubts, followed by maybe some major upsetting discovery.

At first the problems are rationalized, then they are looked at again, and authorities say things like, "Why didn't we see that."

What is a layperson to do?  As often as not the rationalizations of the misfitting data turn out to be what is right, and the prevailing theory remains in place.  Other times the change happens.  As non-experts we are in no place to second-guess those who have spent their lives on the topic.

People don't like accepting authority.  They want to make up their own minds.  Much of this is arrogance, but of course a suspicion of academic inbreeding can't be avoided.

Butting ones head against the authority of the established experts is a waste of time.  If you are right, you won't get any more credit than maybe an acknowledgment that you accidentally had it, and the probability is that you are wrong.


#188    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

    “What’s wrong with accepting madness?

  • Member
  • 2,521 posts
  • Joined:29 Jun 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:A really cold region devoid of stars

  • The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:54 PM

Didnt a lot of people refute Einsteins theory's at first?

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#189    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 19,031 posts
  • Joined:15 Feb 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Planet TEXAS

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:02 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 19 April 2013 - 03:21 AM, said:

Type #1

Respected, evidenced, brilliant

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image




Type #2 - the nutters who steal credibility from the guys above


Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image



Zechariah, we can see your hand buddy. Keep it out from under that skirt.



Type 3

Posted Image





Because

Posted Image
I like Bee`s statement "when a pronstar starts using emotive words like peddled snake oil & gullilble" Now thats a Gem !

This is a Work in Progress!

#190    MasterFlint

MasterFlint

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Banned
  • Pip
  • 136 posts
  • Joined:17 Apr 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NC

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:45 AM

Saw this story today....  Maybe some day soon we'll get some settlers on Mars and we'll all know what Burroughs knew or didn't know....  If the settlers send word back that they can jump 100 feet into the air and have all found beautiful red skinned Princess's we'll all know that the books were completely true!!!  hahaha!

Also, read more of the second book, turns out the black pirates of barsoom are actually from inside the hollowed out mars and not from one of their moons, so they aren't from phobo's, dang it!  lol.

On a side note, I thought it was cool that in this internet article that it does say that mars has "a thin atmosphere."  So it's not a vacuum world...  That opens up the possibility of a real settlement one day if there is any type of atmosphere that might be able to store oxygen on the planet if it's produced, that's pretty cool.

http://www.infowars....ticket-to-mars/   FYI, you gotta click on reading the full article to get the whole story and part about their being a thin atmosphere on mars...


#191    Harte

Harte

    Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence. He whose k

  • Member
  • 11,480 posts
  • Joined:06 Aug 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Memphis

  • Skeptic

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:37 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 19 April 2013 - 09:54 PM, said:

Didnt a lot of people refute Einsteins theory's at first?

Regarding General Relativity, there was a slew of mathematicians growing more and more impatient with Einstein, waiting for him to finish his solution (which they had already done, while waiting.) One of them publicly announced that if Einstein didn't get on it, he'd publish the damn General Relativity Theory himself!

Einstein wasn't great at math.  Soon afterward, he published, having found the solution he was seeking.  It had been in an early attempt that he had discarded, thinking it wrong.  In his desperation, he started looking over his discarded work and there it was.

Few people, if any attempted any real refutation at first, though subsequently, more and more did, due to difficulties in observation of background stars during eclipses.  Eventually, his prediction for warped space around large masses was shown to be factual by just this sort of observation. All refutations were basically dropped, when the theory was shown to perfectly explain an oddity in the orbit of Mercury, which previous scientists had been completely unable to explain.

Harte

Posted Image
See the new Harte Mark III
And the Mayan panoramas on my pyramid pajamas haven't helped my little problem. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Anybody like Coleridge?

#192    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

    “What’s wrong with accepting madness?

  • Member
  • 2,521 posts
  • Joined:29 Jun 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:A really cold region devoid of stars

  • The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:41 PM

View PostHarte, on 20 April 2013 - 10:37 PM, said:



Regarding General Relativity, there was a slew of mathematicians growing more and more impatient with Einstein, waiting for him to finish his solution (which they had already done, while waiting.) One of them publicly announced that if Einstein didn't get on it, he'd publish the damn General Relativity Theory himself!

Einstein wasn't great at math.  Soon afterward, he published, having found the solution he was seeking.  It had been in an early attempt that he had discarded, thinking it wrong.  In his desperation, he started looking over his discarded work and there it was.

Few people, if any attempted any real refutation at first, though subsequently, more and more did, due to difficulties in observation of background stars during eclipses.  Eventually, his prediction for warped space around large masses was shown to be factual by just this sort of observation. All refutations were basically dropped, when the theory was shown to perfectly explain an oddity in the orbit of Mercury, which previous scientists had been completely unable to explain.

Harte
Thanks for that info Harte, I remember he was afraid at one point that this Mathematician would come to the conclusion before he himself did, so there was sort of a race between them

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#193    psyche101

psyche101

    The Customer.

  • Member
  • 38,300 posts
  • Joined:30 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Oz

  • If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:47 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 19 April 2013 - 05:27 AM, said:

Sarcasm falls flat on its face if you have to label it as such.  If people don't recognize the sarcasm, then it's too subtle for them.  This may be the author's fault but more likely its the denseness of the reader -- I know I miss stuff of this sort all the time because my English "feel" sometimes fails me, but I know native English speakers can sometimes be dense too. Clever choices of words always carry that risk.

Sarcastic font, is sarcastic in itself isn't it? I thought that was the joke?

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#194    psyche101

psyche101

    The Customer.

  • Member
  • 38,300 posts
  • Joined:30 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Oz

  • If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:52 AM

View Postconspiracy buff, on 19 April 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

How does the saying go?  "Those who believe don't need any proof and for skeptics, no proof will do".  Jim Marrs sums it up perfectly in his book "Alien Agenda" when he says that it is a "clashing of mindsets".  You either believe there is active life out there and that there is a cover up, or you simply ignore all the circumstantial evidence that would strong imply so.

I'm all for scientific proof of aliens and these authors having knowledge about that which they write about.  That part I believe is just great imagination and coincidence.  These people had to sell books and did so by imagining great things.  Edgar Rice Burroughs and H.G. Wells are great examples of this.  However, when talking about the Mars topic, there have been a lot of omitted evidence covered up by NASA and other institutions that would know about these realities.  Just look at their photos of Mars[and even other planets] and how they are edited and cut.  Why would these photos need to be edited?  Is there something there they don't want the public to know?  Even the most hardened skeptic would have to admit there seems to be logic behind changing pictures and lying about what the official story is versus what may actually be out there.  What those motives behind the logic are remains a question to which it is up to each individual to decide.  It does seem like more and more these types of things are swept under the rug so to speak and we are expected to ignore them.



Ohhhh stuf and nonsense. You are not interested in scientific proof of any kind. You only care about CT's and UFOlogists because they say what you want to hear.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#195    psyche101

psyche101

    The Customer.

  • Member
  • 38,300 posts
  • Joined:30 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Oz

  • If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:55 AM

View PostDONTEATUS, on 20 April 2013 - 03:02 AM, said:

I like Bee`s statement "when a pronstar starts using emotive words like peddled snake oil & gullilble" Now thats a Gem !


I like your version better :w00t:

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users