Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Applicants wanted for one-way ticket to Mars.

mars settlers

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#76    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,083 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

Mars calls to those that Dream big and believe that Man can do anything he puts his Heart and soul and our money into !
Its just the way we are. And some day man will venture off earth, into the unknown, Who Knows We may just make it some day out there. I would Love to Think we have it in us to Do !
Even its not the Final Frontier Its only one more to explore. Look Big Dream Big Take a bit larger steps to get there. Like the Mars One People are doing.
I would go in a heart beat. Even knowing it would be the last ones on earth ! I would at least be trying !

Edited by DONTEATUS, 19 April 2013 - 08:11 PM.

This is a Work in Progress!

#77    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,386 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:11 PM

Volunteer only if you want the Fame of being on the first trip to another planet,and you will be forever remembered in History books,its one 'ell of an epitaph.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#78    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,083 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:37 AM

View Postspud the mackem, on 19 April 2013 - 09:11 PM, said:

Volunteer only if you want the Fame of being on the first trip to another planet,and you will be forever remembered in History books,its one 'ell of an epitaph.
Indeed THere are so many already on the List ITs mind boggling !  So many will try and a very ,very few will go ! But they Will Go  for sure ! Mankind is just that way ! Would you not Love to be on the Short List?

This is a Work in Progress!

#79    Whoop whoop

Whoop whoop

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

Ive got a really good idea, lets ask westborow baptis church to go to mars, they should just volenteer cause they hate everyone anyways, they could be with there brainwashed followers all the time, the show whould probally have 1 season before we decide that these people arent worth watching, then we cut all ties and let them take it from there. we shouldnt have time for hate when theres so many ways to better our selfs as the human race.

Edited by Whoop whoop, 20 April 2013 - 08:23 PM.

#80    Calle

Calle

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 88 posts

• Everyone but few seeks Perfection, the few that does not seek it knows that perfection is impossible, because perfection is unachievable

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:18 PM

how do i send an application?

#81    Winchester_8

Winchester_8

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 29 posts

• I want to believe.

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:40 PM

View PostZerocoder, on 20 April 2013 - 09:18 PM, said:

The Astronaut Selection process start sometime between now and July 2013, you have to make a one-minute video from yourself about why you want to go to Mars and what it means for you to never be able to return to Earth. Then, you have to send it to the Mars One people and pay a small fee (not more than $25, according to Mars One).

More info can be found on their website: http://mars-one.com/en/

#82    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,485 posts

• I prefer to know, not just to believe.

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:10 AM

View PostZerocoder, on 20 April 2013 - 09:18 PM, said:

You can look over the application process here http://mars-one.com/...ualify-to-apply  to determine whether you could be a Mars One colonist.

God speed, zerocoder. :tu:

Edited by DBunker, 21 April 2013 - 01:25 AM.

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#83    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,263 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:21 AM

View PostDBunker, on 21 April 2013 - 01:10 AM, said:

You can look over the application process here http://mars-one.com/...ualify-to-apply  to determine whether you could be a Mars One colonist.

Indeed. And just hope you get the right sort of co-passenger  (more than likely you dont get to choose)

Posted Image

Edited by seeder, 21 April 2013 - 01:26 AM.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#84    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Unsafe at Any Speed

• 24,125 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:08 AM

View PostWinchester_8, on 20 April 2013 - 09:40 PM, said:

The Astronaut Selection process start sometime between now and July 2013, you have to make a one-minute video from yourself about why you want to go to Mars and what it means for you to never be able to return to Earth. Then, you have to send it to the Mars One people and pay a small fee (not more than $25, according to Mars One).

More info can be found on their website: http://mars-one.com/en/
oh lord, sounds like Britain's or America's Got Talent ...

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#85    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,263 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:55 AM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 21 April 2013 - 07:08 AM, said:

oh lord, sounds like Britain's or America's Got Talent ...

In a weird and voyeuristic way, thats the kind of TV show its probably going to be, or more like 'Big Brother ' once they get there

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#86    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,386 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:58 AM

View PostDONTEATUS, on 20 April 2013 - 03:37 AM, said:

Indeed THere are so many already on the List ITs mind boggling !  So many will try and a very ,very few will go ! But they Will Go  for sure ! Mankind is just that way ! Would you not Love to be on the Short List?
  Yep,but the problem is that I'm already on a short list to the warm place.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#87    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,677 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

View PostDBunker, on 21 April 2013 - 01:10 AM, said:

Wicked, a few tweeks here and there and I can do all that.
Not sure about this bit though : Once on Mars, there is no means to return to Earth. Mars is home......would like to know if they have narrowboats there, would at least like to return to Earth once in a while to check my boat is ok if I can`t take it with me.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#88    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Unsafe at Any Speed

• 24,125 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

View Postfreetoroam, on 21 April 2013 - 09:49 AM, said:

Wicked, a few tweeks here and there and I can do all that.
Not sure about this bit though : Once on Mars, there is no means to return to Earth. Mars is home......would like to know if they have narrowboats there, would at least like to return to Earth once in a while to check my boat is ok if I can`t take it with me.
Well, they have canals, we know ...
And if Mr. Hoagland is right*, there's great underground cities & all sorts of things. Sounds as if it'd be fun.

* :unsure2:

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#89    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,677 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 21 April 2013 - 11:29 AM, said:

Well, they have canals, we know ...
And if Mr. Hoagland is right*, there's great underground cities & all sorts of things. Sounds as if it'd be fun.

* :unsure2:
canals are a start, but water is a must. Underground cities I can do without......withdrawing my application!!
Just wondering what sort of tests they will be doing on people, they will want fertile, non diseased only types to breed for the new generation of inhabitants.....now thats sounds as if it could be fun. :whistle:

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#90    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,263 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 21 April 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

canals are a start, but water is a must. Underground cities I can do without......withdrawing my application!!
Just wondering what sort of tests they will be doing on people, they will want fertile, non diseased only types to breed for the new generation of inhabitants.....now thats sounds as if it could be fun. :whistle:

well, I did say earlier that childbirth may not even be a possibility on Mars, its a gravity and radiation thing, and bone loss amongst others... with science behind it.  Besides who should bring a child into life to live in such dangerous inhospitable conditions? I wouldnt wish that on any child of mine

quote:

"Conceiving a child in the final frontier might be downright dangerous".

"There are many risks to conception in low or microgravity, such as ectopic pregnancy," Woodmansee said. "And, without the protection of the Earth's atmosphere, the higher radiation levels raise the probability of birth defects."

Microgravity does strange things to the body. From bone density loss to odd fluid distribution, the human body was not built to live in low-gravity conditions. Astronauts combat these less-than-ideal conditions through exercise and other methods, but scientists are not sure how they will affect a mother and child.

"The thing is, a baby created and born in space could be perfectly fine," Woodmansee said. "We just don’t know enough about the subject. We've evolved here on the Earth, so moving to outer space is moving evolution in a different direction."

Now, sex on the way maybe eh?

"Sex is very difficult in zero gravity, apparently, because you have no traction and you keep bumping against the walls," biologist Athena Andreadis of the University of Massachusetts Medical School told SPACE.com in 2011. "Think about it: you have no friction, you have no resistance"

http://www.space.com...rs-mission.html

Be fun to watch the others try it,  if nothing else!!  :w00t: :w00t:

end quote!

plus, they wont exactly have midwifes and doctors to help a birth along will they?  Or tend to any complications that may arrise. Or have the 'right' drugs for all eventualities? Now will they?

what if she needs a cesarean?? Loses blood? Goes into coma? Who you gonna call?

Edited by seeder, 21 April 2013 - 12:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users