Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Gun control legislation vote today

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

Today at 4:00 pm, the Enhanced background checks and registration legislation comes to the floor.  The Democrats feel they have enough votes to block a filibuster, but it is close.

I am against this legislation for several reasons but primarily I disagree with taking a fundamental "right" and turning it into a Government controlled "privilege".  I also believe that Prohibitive legislation never works and generally increases crime rather than deter it.  Furthermore, making even private sales require a background check simply makes the law abiding citizen have to cut through miles of red tape and does nothing to curb criminal or black market sales.

This is not good legislation and will not solve the problems of crime and violence.  It is unnecessary.

I have contacted both of my Senators as well as Rand Paul's office to ask them to vote "no".

I encourage everyone to do the same.  Do your civic duty and let your representatives hear your voice...for or against...that is up to you.

I have enclosed the main contact site for the Senate.  it's easy to find your state representatives and either call them or send an email.  I did both.

http://www.senate.go...ct_senators.htm

Best of luck fellow citizens.  It is our duty to participate in our Government and this is your opportunity to have your voice heard.

Thanks for your time and thoughtfulness.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#2    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,759 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:57 PM

I hope it dosent pass but i bet it does :/

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#3    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:28 PM

I sent e-mails to Senator (s) Ted Cruz and Rand Paul's offices asking them to vote NO also. Me and my husband are also members of several gun rights groups. I hope to God this does not pass. We already have background checks we're crying out loud! Even if you buy a gun at a gun show, you still have to provide ID, fill out the proper paperwork, etc. And you can only buy a gun from someone there who has the proper government liscense to sell guns. It's just BS is what it is.
If those senators know what's good for their political careers they will vote NO on this, or they'll all be out of job come next November....

Edited by Kowalski, 17 April 2013 - 06:36 PM.

#4    Dredimus

Dredimus

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

Gun control vote fails in the senate!!!

#5    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• 2,078 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:40 PM

Bill was defeated...barely.  The Manchin-Toomey enhanced background checks Amendment was defeated by 54 to 46...60 votes required for passage.

There are 8 more amendments up for vote in the Senate including the assault weapon ban and an amendment to limit clip capacity.  Both are expected to fail.

View PostDredimus, on 17 April 2013 - 08:38 PM, said:

Just beat me to the news!!  i was typing when I saw a reply had been posted.

Edited by Jeremiah65, 17 April 2013 - 08:41 PM.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#6    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,465 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:41 PM

I hope it doesn't pass.  We already have background checks and it stopped Lanza from buying a gun he had to steal one.  All the legislation in the world isn't going to stop someone from stealing a gun.

#7    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,465 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

View PostDredimus, on 17 April 2013 - 08:38 PM, said:

So glad to hear that.

#8    Dredimus

Dredimus

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

View PostJeremiah65, on 17 April 2013 - 08:40 PM, said:

Bill was defeated...barely.  The Manchin-Toomey enhanced background checks Amendment was defeated by 54 to 46...60 votes required for passage.

There are 8 more amendments up for vote in the Senate including the assault weapon ban and an amendment to limit clip capacity.  Both are expected to fail.

Just beat me to the news!!  i was typing when I saw a reply had been posted.

I actually just happened to be on this thread when my phone went off, ive been following the topic so I got to post pretty quick.

#9    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• 1,580 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:57 PM

Whoo! I'm not an American, but I am fan of a FREE nation! Small victories, guys.

“These International bankers and Rockefeller-Standard Oil interests control the majority of newspapers and the columns of these newspapers to club into submission or drive out of public office officials who refuse to do the bidding of the powerful corrupt cliques which compose the invisible government.”

- Roosevelt

#10    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,903 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:09 PM

That is very good news indeed.  We'll eventually lose most of the rights we have(even if it takes another 300 years), but it's nice to know they're being resisted every step of the way.

#11    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:48 PM

View PostJeremiah65, on 17 April 2013 - 08:40 PM, said:

:clap: :clap:

#12    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,465 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

I will be waiting to find out what happens here.

#13    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,951 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

Well given that background checks were among the mildest reforms being put forward hopefully people will stop freaking out about losing their guns. If this has failed I doubt anything else is going to get through.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#14    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,637 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:54 PM

:)

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#15    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,759 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:18 PM

All of todays amendments have been defeated :tsu: .Now I hope CISPA gets defeated tommrow.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users