Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 4 votes

All 6 Gun Control Amendments No Go

• Please log in to reply
252 replies to this topic

#31    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 7,771 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:03 AM

But what happens now? what happens if a terrorist-wanna buys a gun and is not checked? esp there are a few users on this site like to blow stuff up on games

#32    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 7,771 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:05 AM

View PostDan, on 19 April 2013 - 10:03 AM, said:

As "developed and secure". What ever. Doesn't that leave out much of the planet? I think you need to take a closer look. We are at 3 per 100,000. Bahamas is over 15 per 100,000 thats one. Look again and see just how many firearms there are too. If our country was so bad with that many weapons we should have a much larger number of homicides by firearms right?
I think that would be recorded crime

#33    Dan'O

Dan'O

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:05 AM

Setton, are you familiar with our gun laws? Well of course you are not. Most states do not require a license. Where did you get your "millions of licenses per year" anyway?

edit: added name of addressee

Edited by Dan'O, 19 April 2013 - 10:10 AM.

#34    Dan'O

Dan'O

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:09 AM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 19 April 2013 - 10:03 AM, said:

But what happens now? what happens if a terrorist-wanna buys a gun and is not checked? esp there are a few users on this site like to blow stuff up on games
A "terrorist-wanna" will not likely procure weapons through legal channels.

#35    Dan'O

Dan'O

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

It's called empathy and caring about other people than yourself. Not a lot of Americans seem to understand it.

I can appreciate that. Very noble. but, there are other areas of the planet that are in much greater need of peoples empathy with much higher homicide rates as well..

#36    Spiral staircase

Spiral staircase

Breaking

• 3,607 posts

• Such an ugly feeling that won't leave.

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:23 AM

Push and take, there will be a reaction to this. If not now then later. Progress is not about speed but direction.

Guns are going to be regulated eventually. If another incident happens it will speed it up a bit but it will happen.

The fact more are discussing it is a result of Aurora and Newtown.

That Busch left the NRA speaks volumes.

When it happens we won't spend our time laughing at anyone as you guys are.

Laugh now, cry later.

<insert photo of comedy and tragedy>

Edited by Leave Britney alone!, 19 April 2013 - 10:25 AM.

#37    Dan'O

Dan'O

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:28 AM

Guns are already heavily regulated. Are you going to regulate criminals? How noble the progressive movement is. You do know if it ever comes to trying to confiscate the 270+ million firearms there will be many many deaths? Is that the plan? To have empathy and being progressive but in the end to lie about that supposed empathy? Deaths only matter if it is a non-conservative?

Edited by Dan'O, 19 April 2013 - 10:50 AM.

#38    Dan'O

Dan'O

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

The areas that are the most heavily regulated have the worst crime because criminals do not care and are emboldened against a disarmed citizenry.

#39    Dan'O

Dan'O

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

View PostLeave Britney alone!, on 19 April 2013 - 10:23 AM, said:

When it happens we won't spend our time laughing at anyone as you guys are.

Laugh now, cry later.

<insert photo of comedy and tragedy>

The true mask of the hypocritical, progressive movement right there. No true empathy at all...

And I am not laughing either.

#40    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:11 AM

View PostDan, on 19 April 2013 - 10:03 AM, said:

As "developed and secure". What ever. Doesn't that leave out much of the planet? I think you need to take a closer look. We are at 3 per 100,000. Bahamas is over 15 per 100,000 thats one. Look again and see just how many firearms there are too. If our country was so bad with that many weapons we should have a much larger number of homicides by firearms right?

It does leave out much of the world. But all it would take for you guys to save those 10 per 100,000 is a vote. It would be much harder to reduce gun deaths in less developed countries but not having one of the most powerful countries on Earth going 'Yay look how great guns are!' would be a start.

View PostDan, on 19 April 2013 - 10:05 AM, said:

Setton, are you familiar with our gun laws? Well of course you are not. Most states do not require a license. Where did you get your "millions of licenses per year" anyway?

Oh obviously I'm just an ignorant Briton who knows nothing and doesn't research. Kindly leave your assumptions out of this and try to stick to facts.

Here's the link. Graph on this page referenced to the FBI: http://www.guardian....ow-many-guns-us

View PostDan, on 19 April 2013 - 10:15 AM, said:

I can appreciate that. Very noble. but, there are other areas of the planet that are in much greater need of peoples empathy with much higher homicide rates as well..

Very true but, as above, it would take a lot more to help them than a simple vote.

'Good' is not the same as 'nice'.
'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#41    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• 1,546 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:14 AM

View PostDan, on 19 April 2013 - 10:31 AM, said:

The areas that are the most heavily regulated have the worst crime because criminals do not care and are emboldened against a disarmed citizenry.

Then explain why the same isn't true in other countries. Simple fact is, in countries where we have reliable statistics, the more people have guns, the more people die by them as a general rule.

'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#42    Dan'O

Dan'O

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

Thank you Setton. I saved that url. 1.1 million is still not "millions" nor does it address my license query. Those stats are phenomenally scary though. The sheer volume of firearms in this country is staggering and restricting legal, law abiding citizens further (see there are already gun checks) is not the answer the criminals will not abide by them anyway. But regardless I appreciate your research.Thank you.

I am curious. Have you ever fired a firearm before? I would hazzard to guess that you were not brought up in the sticks hunting and shooting? Could you put yourself in the shoes of someone that did and try to imagine what it would be like if city folk or foreigners that have never been around firearms tried to dictate your life, rights, culture or heritage?

#43    Dan'O

Dan'O

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

View PostSetton, on 19 April 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

Then explain why the same isn't true in other countries. Simple fact is, in countries where we have reliable statistics, the more people have guns, the more people die by them as a general rule.

Many central American countries are a good example. Strictly controlled, lower number of weapons but with higher homicide by firearms rates.

#44    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,006 posts

• “Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while”

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:29 PM

Many more deaths to follow then. ho hum.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#45    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• 1,546 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

View PostDan, on 19 April 2013 - 11:23 AM, said:

Thank you Setton. I saved that url. 1.1 million is still not "millions" nor does it address my license query. Those stats are phenomenally scary though. The sheer volume of firearms in this country is staggering and restricting legal, law abiding citizens further (see there are already gun checks) is not the answer the criminals will not abide by them anyway. But regardless I appreciate your research.Thank you.

Not sure where you got 1.1 million from. 156,577,260 over 15 years = just over 10 million a year. I seem to be missing your license query. Would you mind repeating it?

I understand where you're coming from about criminals not following the law (name kind of gives it away :P) but I just think if guns weren't available so readily, it would make it that much harder for criminals to acquire them.

I am curious. Have you ever fired a firearm before? I would hazzard to guess that you were not brought up in the sticks hunting and shooting? Could you put yourself in the shoes of someone that did and try to imagine what it would be like if city folk or foreigners that have never been around firearms tried to dictate your life, rights, culture or heritage?

I have, yes but no I wasn't brought up around them. Just target shooting. I see where you're coming from and that's why I think the system we have here is a good one. No right to bear arms but you can apply for special licenses for specific purposes. So a lot of farmers or hunters will own a shotgun and competitive shooters may own a rifle. As I understand it, the reasoning behind this is that a shotgun takes long enough to reload that it won't be a major threat and competitive shooters have to leave all ammunition at their club, locked up. Also, no handguns are allowed so if someone's carrying a gun, you know about it.

So a modification of these could allow those in the country to keep their guns as part of their way of life but would keep them away from more populated areas and hopefully prevent mass shootings. I don't understand why so many people are against the ban on assault weapons. They're specifically designed to kill and wound as much as possible in the shortest possible time and aren't really useful for anything else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users