Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Blair 'deserves a funeral as big as Thatcher'


  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

    My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

  • Member
  • 6,293 posts
  • Joined:12 Dec 2004
  • Gender:Male

  • The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

Quote

Tony Blair could get a funeral on the scale of that of Margaret Thatcher, the minister in charge of planning her ceremonial send-off has suggested.

Despite claims that Britain is unlikely to see another political funeral on the scale of Baroness Thatcher’s, Cabinet Office minister Francis Maude said he would have no objection to a similar service when Mr Blair passes away.

Whitehall sources dismissed claims that it had already been decided that future prime ministers would not be afforded ceremonial services of the type watched by tens of thousands in London on Wednesday.

View: Full article

Posted Image

#2    Norbert Dentressangle

Norbert Dentressangle

    El camion marveloso

  • Member
  • 26,369 posts
  • Joined:09 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tanybwlch

  • Vampires are people too.

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:59 AM

Should do to the dick what they did to Osama bin laden.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.


:cat:


#3    Norbert Dentressangle

Norbert Dentressangle

    El camion marveloso

  • Member
  • 26,369 posts
  • Joined:09 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tanybwlch

  • Vampires are people too.

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

"Mr Maude, asked about plans for Mr Blair’s demise"

:innocent:

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.


:cat:


#4    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,136 posts
  • Joined:03 Aug 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Royston Vasey

  • “Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while”

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:14 AM

Perhaps we should let the parents of all those dead service personnel who fought in his wars make the decision.
You can say what you like about Thatcher, but at least she didn't have to invent a reason to go to war.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#5    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

    Overlord of Delgon

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Joined:06 Jan 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Beyond your dimension

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:39 AM

View Postitsnotoutthere, on 20 April 2013 - 05:14 AM, said:

Perhaps we should let the parents of all those dead service personnel who fought in his wars make the decision.
You can say what you like about Thatcher, but at least she didn't have to invent a reason to go to war.
It was her bungling administration that gave Argentina the inclination and opportunity to invade The Falklands, so she did invent a reason to wage war.

Who is the skeptic: the realist who won't accept belief, or the believer who won't accept reality?

#6    Norbert Dentressangle

Norbert Dentressangle

    El camion marveloso

  • Member
  • 26,369 posts
  • Joined:09 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tanybwlch

  • Vampires are people too.

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:10 AM

Let's not turn this into yet another interminable argument about the Lady. But are we suggesting that she deliberately provoked the good General into invading the Falklands in order to give her a War? :unsure2:

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.


:cat:


#7    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,136 posts
  • Joined:03 Aug 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Royston Vasey

  • “Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while”

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

View PostOppono Astos, on 20 April 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:

It was her bungling administration that gave Argentina the inclination and opportunity to invade The Falklands, so she did invent a reason to wage war.

Tripe, & classic example of re-writing history to accommodate ones political ideology.

Edited by itsnotoutthere, 20 April 2013 - 09:59 AM.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#8    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,136 posts
  • Joined:03 Aug 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Royston Vasey

  • “Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while”

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:45 PM

BlairExplosion.jpg

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#9    Arbenol

Arbenol

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts
  • Joined:09 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:29 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 20 April 2013 - 08:10 AM, said:

Let's not turn this into yet another interminable argument about the Lady. But are we suggesting that she deliberately provoked the good General into invading the Falklands in order to give her a War? :unsure2:

Yes.

1982 was not the first (or last) time that the Malvinas came up between UK and Argentina. All other occasions there's a bit of chest beating and face-pulling before everyone retires to their corner to prepare for the next time.

So, when the issue arose again, Thatcher was in the middle of presiding over one of the worst recessions, with 10% of the working population unemployed. Only three years into her tenure, she was deeply unpopular and hadn't even begun to dismantle Britain's unions and manufacturing industry. What better way to get the electorate back on side, than to invite them along to a bit of jingoistic flag waving? It was a great opportunity and she took it with both hands - instead of the usual routine of diplomatic brow soothing, she stuck two fingers up at Galtieri and invited him to do his worst. The rest is history, and Thatcher was able to continue with realising her vision.

So, Thatcher was able to turn herself from villain to hero. You have to admire that (however grudgingly). By going to war, Blair managed to achieve the complete opposite.


#10    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

    Poltergeist

  • Banned
  • 2,924 posts
  • Joined:16 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:50 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 20 April 2013 - 08:10 AM, said:

Let's not turn this into yet another interminable argument about the Lady. But are we suggesting that she deliberately provoked the good General into invading the Falklands in order to give her a War? :unsure2:

Blair deserves a state funeral.

Just as soon as the Hague have hung him for war crimes.


#11    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

    Poltergeist

  • Banned
  • 2,924 posts
  • Joined:16 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:52 PM

View PostArbenol68, on 20 April 2013 - 10:29 PM, said:

Yes.

1982 was not the first (or last) time that the Malvinas came up between UK and Argentina. All other occasions there's a bit of chest beating and face-pulling before everyone retires to their corner to prepare for the next time.

So, when the issue arose again, Thatcher was in the middle of presiding over one of the worst recessions, with 10% of the working population unemployed. Only three years into her tenure, she was deeply unpopular and hadn't even begun to dismantle Britain's unions and manufacturing industry. What better way to get the electorate back on side, than to invite them along to a bit of jingoistic flag waving? It was a great opportunity and she took it with both hands - instead of the usual routine of diplomatic brow soothing, she stuck two fingers up at Galtieri and invited him to do his worst. The rest is history, and Thatcher was able to continue with realising her vision.

So, Thatcher was able to turn herself from villain to hero. You have to admire that (however grudgingly). By going to war, Blair managed to achieve the complete opposite.

I wonder how close Maggie came to pressing the big red button?


#12    Arbenol

Arbenol

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts
  • Joined:09 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:01 AM

View PostGiant Killer B, on 20 April 2013 - 10:52 PM, said:



I wonder how close Maggie came to pressing the big red button?

I doubt she ever even thought about it. Once the task force was assembled and en route the outcome was never in doubt. They just had to concentrate on minimising casualties.

Whether she ever came close under other circumstances.............who knows?


#13    Norbert Dentressangle

Norbert Dentressangle

    El camion marveloso

  • Member
  • 26,369 posts
  • Joined:09 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tanybwlch

  • Vampires are people too.

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:40 AM

Do people have any further views on Blair, or has this just become another thread for accusing Maggie of war crimes? does anyone want to bring up the Belgrano while they're at it?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.


:cat:


#14    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

    Spud the Mackem

  • Member
  • 3,876 posts
  • Joined:28 Oct 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Yeo Valley,Darkest Somerset.

  • man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:15 AM

B.liar deserves a plastic bag,which should then be chucked into a slurry pit,by comparison the Lady was a Saint.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#15    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

    Poltergeist

  • Banned
  • 2,924 posts
  • Joined:16 Nov 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:33 AM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 21 April 2013 - 06:40 AM, said:

Do people have any further views on Blair, or has this just become another thread for accusing Maggie of war crimes? does anyone want to bring up the Belgrano while they're at it?

I'm not aware of Maggie commiting any warcrimes.

If anything she held back during the Falklands war. Should could have easily nuked them.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users