Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is nature a living entity?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#46    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,332 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:22 AM

View Postmoonshadow60, on 26 April 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

No, not an informed entity in the sense that humans might recognize it, but a self-contained process and everything on this planet and, indeed, inside the planet is part of it. Energy, life force, whatever it is called, we wouldn't be here if it didn't exist.  The entire planet would be "dead." The rain would not fall, rivers wouldn't flow, nothing could live. There is a rhythm to everything and the earth sings its own song, as my grandmother would say.  I don't think it's all just chemistry.

For me this kind of gets back to the idea of forms of consciousness. Can an entity, human or otherwise, recognize a consciousness that is different than their own, do you think? Can we even conceive of a consciousness different than our own?

#47    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,503 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

View PostBeany, on 27 April 2013 - 02:22 AM, said:

For me this kind of gets back to the idea of forms of consciousness. Can an entity, human or otherwise, recognize a consciousness that is different than their own, do you think? Can we even conceive of a consciousness different than our own?
I don't think we can simply imagine it. During a journey I believe I was allowed to experience a trees conciousness. It was so different, the only words I have to say to describe it is inwardly focused. Where as our conciousness is outwardly focused responding to our environment plant conciousness send to be entirely flipped and it's internal structure and workings are the focal point if it's existence. It's hard to explain.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#48    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,332 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:40 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 27 April 2013 - 11:47 AM, said:

I don't think we can simply imagine it. During a journey I believe I was allowed to experience a trees conciousness. It was so different, the only words I have to say to describe it is inwardly focused. Where as our conciousness is outwardly focused responding to our environment plant conciousness send to be entirely flipped and it's internal structure and workings are the focal point if it's existence. It's hard to explain.

I've had numerous exchanges with trees & plants, as well as stones so I know what you mean. But I wasn't able to conceive it until I had the experiences. The term I can think of, though still inadequate, is "grokking." Those of you who've read Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land, are familiar with this term. It just occurred to me that maybe humans have the same internal organization structure, an internal, physical consciousness/body wisdom/consciousness, maybe all living entities do, the difference being the focal point.

#49    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,332 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 24 April 2013 - 10:59 AM, said:

Animals, at least mammals, have sentience.  This means they experience the world.  There is no good evidence that the responses seen in other animals are anything other than automatic reflexes developed through ages of evolution.

Sentience is something else.  It combines reflex with emotion, a "lets get the hell out of here" with fear, a "that's my food, buddy," with anger, and so on.  Experience is what really makes us "alive" -- we don't just see the snake in the grass, we "experience" it, and with that experience comes a much deeper and more flexible response -- "it's a grass snake" -- if I'm quick enough I can get a nice lunch compared to, "it's a coral snake" -- sheesh, gotta be careful around here.

Don't plants experience the world, too? Maybe not in a human way, but they do have the experience of taking in water, soil nutrients, energy from the sun, chlorophyll, etc. When I think about spooky action, where two non-sentient particles instantly communicate and respond across space, maybe there is a kind of consciousness at play, or maybe it's an entirely different thing that happens.

#50    Hammerclaw

Hammerclaw

Poltergeist

• 2,169 posts

• "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:01 PM

That which we call "life" is a natural property of matter, and always arises where conditions for it's existence occur. Indeed, the terms animate and inanimate are human concepts impressed upon the universe to create a sense of order, and may have no intrinsic meaning.

Edited by hammerclaw, 27 April 2013 - 10:02 PM.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - Hamlet (1.5.167-8),

#51    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,332 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:06 PM

View Postredhen, on 21 April 2013 - 08:53 PM, said:

Lazlo's book Science and the Akashic Field can be found on Amazon.  Something similar but less dense reading is The Quantum and the Lotus: A Journey to the Frontiers Where Science and Buddhism Meet by Matthieu Ricard, again on Amazon.  One last suggestion; although I haven't read anything by Carl Jung, I think maybe his concept of a collective unconscious is also similar, or maybe not. Just a thought.

I just downloaded The Quantum and the Lotus on my Kindle. I'm looking forward to reading it Thanks for the referral! Have you read The Dancing Wu Li Masters? It's along the same lines, I think, but about 20 years ago. It was that book that sent me, more than anything else, on my strange & wonderful journey.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users