Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Could Jesus have been female ?

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:35 PM

<strong class='bbc'>Image credit: Vít Luštinec</strong>
Image credit: Vít Luštinec
Dan Green: As a youngster, I was brought up in the United Kingdom and went through the obligatory schooling system that provided religious education classes and so I was bound to come face to face with the male Jesus. More than half the world knows his story, and not an original one at that as it is borrowed, we can say without dispute, from earlier similar saviour stories from around the world, the story of Osiris, Dionysus, Adonis, Attis, and Mithras. Despite him being the major figure in the bible, there is no description of how he looked, and scholars will point out no real record of him in Hebrew or Roman - outside of Christianity's own teachings and assurances about him, he struggles to exist. This has left the gate open for a number of critics to declare the reasons for these puzzling lapses is that, simply, he did not exist, or at least not in a fashion that we have had described us.

Posted Image View: Full Article

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,797 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

If he were, does that mean he would have been a lesbian as he was with Mary Magdalene? who knows!! maybe thats why they crucified him..sorry, her.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#3    Jeffertonturner

Jeffertonturner

Hero Squad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

• I may not be the smartest, or the best looking, or the most successful but...what was I saying? I'm depressed.

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:48 PM

The first and most famous bearded lady. Awesome.

~Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while -and do whatever you want all the time -you can miss it.~

#4    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,797 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:53 PM

View PostJeffertonturner, on 21 April 2013 - 02:48 PM, said:

The first and most famous bearded lady. Awesome.
Another reason why they could have crucified him her. Lucky to have lasted as long as he she did come to think of it, a bearded lesbian in those times would not have been the envy of every women...or man.

Edited by freetoroam, 21 April 2013 - 02:54 PM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#5    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,608 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

The message of Jesusa did add a dose of femininity to the Jewish tribal mindset that was very warlike. Of course this is negated by the very masculine Jesus presented in Revelations.

I have no issues with whatever gender Jesus was. It is also understanable that many insecure males who are faithful will have an issue with this. The real issue might be their insecurity.

Spoiler

Edited by Leave Britney alone!, 21 April 2013 - 03:46 PM.

#6    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,051 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:03 PM

He can be anything you want him to be.

#7    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,797 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:48 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 21 April 2013 - 04:03 PM, said:

He can be anything you want him to be.
Isn`t this bit left for God? If Jesus was a man, then why change it? It may not matter if he was male or female to many, but to distort the facts would be lying?? If he was a man, then keep it that way.
As soon as facts are distorted then questions have to be asked about the rest of the story.

Just asking, peace.

#8    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,525 posts

• The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:58 PM

I dont see why its hard for people to see that stories may play themself out over and over again. So, it is not an uncommon theme to hope for salvation and to presume it would come from the birth of a child, a divine child... children, both male and female are born everyday, do we say they copy each other or do we recognize, yes they are similar and yes they both exist. Do they exist because they borrowed from each other, do we not all borrow from each other somehow because deep inside we carry similar DNA? But each of our blood is still real. No Jesus was not female, but that doesn't mean females, even divine ones, dont exist...

My thoughts

Peace

Edited by SpiritWriter, 21 April 2013 - 06:01 PM.

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#9    _Only

_Only

• 6,526 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

He/she could have even been a symbolic dramatic representation of an idea.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#10    CatFromHell

CatFromHell

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:36 PM

Only at weekends.

I pretend I don't care, But deep deep down.......
I still really don't care.

#11    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

Drivel. Just another effort of feminize or otherwise discredit Jesus. How do you explain statements like God saying, "This is my son in whom I am well pleased" or messianic titles like Son of God, Son of David and Christ's most common reference of Himself, Son of Man? He lived and traveled with fishermen, tax collectors rugged hard working men, I think they would know the difference. BTW it is extremely likely that he hung on the cross naked, as that's the way Romans treated their criminals. Again, Drivel.

#12    CatFromHell

CatFromHell

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:53 PM

View PostSundew, on 21 April 2013 - 09:30 PM, said:

Drivel. Just another effort of feminize or otherwise discredit Jesus. How do you explain statements like God saying, "This is my son in whom I am well pleased" or messianic titles like Son of God, Son of David and Christ's most common reference of Himself, Son of Man? He lived and traveled with fishermen, tax collectors rugged hard working men, I think they would know the difference. BTW it is extremely likely that he hung on the cross naked, as that's the way Romans treated their criminals. Again, Drivel.
You know the meaning of the word drivel yet you still believe in Jesus?

#13    CatFromHell

CatFromHell

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:06 PM

Oh, and as for explaining God's (so called statements) Were you there at the time, Are you Big Brother, I don't think soooo, So how do YOU explain it?
You come across as a misogynist, An uneducated one at that if you have to use the fictional characters of Jesus and God to back up your hatred of Women. Good luck with that in the modern world.
Since then women have become more valued, sorry about that. How would it discredit Jesus if he/she was female, assuming he/she existed?

Edited by catfromhell, 21 April 2013 - 10:23 PM.

#14    _Only

_Only

• 6,526 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:46 AM

View Postcatfromhell, on 21 April 2013 - 10:06 PM, said:

Oh, and as for explaining God's (so called statements) Were you there at the time, Are you Big Brother, I don't think soooo, So how do YOU explain it?
You come across as a misogynist, An uneducated one at that if you have to use the fictional characters of Jesus and God to back up your hatred of Women.

Way off base. Did you not pay attention to the very valid points of his post, or did you stop reading after 'feminize'?

It would discredit Jesus/God, as he was repeatedly referenced in masculine ways, with a man's name, and as already said above, being given male titles numerous times. Jesus called himself the 'Son' of God, as did Dad (or this is probably a better debatable term, as it is easier to wonder if the abstract 'God' is of one gender or the other, if any). I suppose we could hypothetically say that Jesus is a female now, but it would 'discredit' the only existing accounts of this story. Get why he said that now?

And the story of Jesus is not drivel. It is a very symbolic story with lessons to learn. An episode of Fraggle Rock can not be drivel also, regardless of how unrealistic and silly it looks on the surface. Believe it or not; that's not important. Are the children's tales of The Boy Who Cried Wolf and Rikki Tikki Tembo 'drivel'? Maybe to those ignoring the overall messages inside the text and only paying attention to the surface. Maybe they don't get it; but most likely they don't even attempt to 'get it'. Like those predisposed for various reasons to ignore anything involving the all evil Bible.

Lastly, he never professed any belief in the stories of the Bible. He just noted some of their writings, which would hopefully be what is referenced when dealing with this topic. You are making plenty of assumptions here, which are baring your predispositions.

But I wouldn't go so far to call your opinions drivel, as that is a personal opinion, and I'm not fit to judge.

All that aside, I still think the character of Jesus could be a man, woman, or caterpillar, and the meat of the story wouldn't be affected.

Edited by _Only, 22 April 2013 - 12:50 AM.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#15    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,797 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:08 AM

View Postcatfromhell, on 21 April 2013 - 09:53 PM, said:

You know the meaning of the word drivel yet you still believe in Jesus?
Yep, good point actually, but so was his as a believer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users