Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

First Amendment Anyone?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,973 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

http://www.usatoday....school/2101661/

This is outrageous imo.  If the school required uniforms I wouldn't say a word.  THIS is suppression of speech and is politically motivated and the party who is doing it should be FIRED AND SUED!

Edited by and then, 21 April 2013 - 09:49 PM.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#2    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:02 PM

Oh its the tip of the iceberg andthen. Now there gonna continuously pound gun control into every piece of legislation every chance they get till it slips through one day.

We have Amendments in the Constitution they waited 200years to get all the states to ratify. These people once on an agenda dont give up. Keep your bags packed and your magazines full.

#3    Purifier

Purifier

Δ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

• Wild Card

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:47 PM

Well unless they have something stated in their dress code policies about that particular kind of shirt, besides the usual stuff about profanity, I smell a lawsuit coming against them. Or there should be one.

Study the past, if you would divine the future.
- Confucius

#4    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,584 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:59 PM

They left out the part where the principal recites the dress code, conveniently. Inconveniently, this shirt didn't fit the description.

Posted Image

#5    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,808 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:59 PM

never quite understood the lack of school uniforms the US schools.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#6    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,584 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:02 AM

Logan Middle School’s policy regarding dress states:

A student will not dress or groom in a manner that disrupts the educational process or is detrimental to the health, safety or welfare of others. A student will not dress in a manner that is distractive or indecent, to the extent that it interferes with the teaching and learning process, including wearing any apparel that displays or promotes any drug-, alcohol- or tobacco-related product that is prohibited in school buildings, on school grounds, in school-leased or owned vehicles, and at all school-affiliated functions.
http://www.theblaze....h-image-of-gun/

Posted Image

#7    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,584 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:04 AM

I'll bet the teacher made this a disruptive incident.

Posted Image

#8    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,491 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:17 AM

Sorry, I don't see how his 'first amendment' right was violated.  The rules state that they cannot wear disrupting clothing.  The teacher thought it was disrupting.

Just because the dress code doesn't mention guns specifically, doesn't mean it's not included.  If he wore a shirt with naked ladies, would the uproar still be the same?

Much ado about nothing here.  A teenager pushing the boundries.  Big freakin' deal.

#9    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,465 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:23 AM

I don't know what this schools dress code is but they did say he wasn't violating the dress code.  I don't know what type of rules they have but a lot of schools do have rules against disruptive clothing.  If they don't they will be sued I have a feeling.

#10    Purifier

Purifier

Δ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

• Wild Card

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:24 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 21 April 2013 - 11:59 PM, said:

never quite understood the lack of school uniforms the US schools.

Now that you mention it,,,

Looking back on my school years of wearing casual clothing, in the 70's and 80's, school uniforms would have probably been best; now that I think about it. Because it would have at least prepared me for the workforce later on, were I did have to wear uniforms that came with the jobs I had. I got use to it, eventually, just would of been nice if I already had the experience of wearing a uniform in my early youth. before I began working in the professional jobs that required them.

Study the past, if you would divine the future.
- Confucius

#11    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,973 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:31 AM

View Postsupervike, on 22 April 2013 - 12:17 AM, said:

Sorry, I don't see how his 'first amendment' right was violated.  The rules state that they cannot wear disrupting clothing.  The teacher thought it was disrupting.

Just because the dress code doesn't mention guns specifically, doesn't mean it's not included.  If he wore a shirt with naked ladies, would the uproar still be the same?

Much ado about nothing here.  A teenager pushing the boundries.  Big freakin' deal.
The teenager wore a teeshirt with the NRA logo and a hunting rifle -in West Virginia of all places - and it was considered "disruptive"?  Maybe....MAYBE..if the shirt had had an AR-15 and targets with recognizable silhouettes or some such, but a hunting rifle?  It's OTT political correctness and it needs stamping out before it absolutely RUINS this country.  I'm SICK OF IT........GRRRRRRRRRR  :angry:

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#12    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,112 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:43 AM

i said that in "low pants" thread, first it is pants, than it is a t-shirt with image of a gun, well,  there we go.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#13    SpiritWalker7

SpiritWalker7

Seeker

• 3,000 posts

• "When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do." -William Blake

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:57 AM

Ridiculous..
I guess it was because it depicted a gun on his shirt.
Many honest and well-doing people in America have guns.

I guess these "teachers" are over-sensitive to gun issues..or thinking it will provoke a shoot-out.

It isn't any physical object, it's the deranged or sadistic mind behind them.

#14    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,974 posts

• Paranoid Android... One Mippippi, two Mippippi, three Mippipi....

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:01 AM

Likewise, I've never understood schools without uniforms. But that aside, I have a feeling that there's more to this story than was in the article. Since I don't know the situation I don't know what it may be, but some thoughts:

Was this the first time the kid wore the shirt to school? Had he been warned in tbd list about this shirt?
Did the kid argue and scream at the teacher when the request was made?
Did the kid have another shirt he could have put on?

Too many variables to make a judgement based only on that article.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#15    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,808 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:06 AM

it could be that the shirt was the straw that broke the camel's back.
I know I've busted a kid off to detention (and incidentally tosuspension) because he puahed another kid. a aimple push that came at the very end of a litany of other little things, but the reason he was in trouble that last time was because he Pushed someone.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users