Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

First Amendment Anyone?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16    aztek

aztek

Telekinetic

• 6,975 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:47 AM

could be, but since it is not first time kids get in trouble, for anything gun related (t-shirt, drawings, poptart in a shape of a gun, or just a hand gesture), makes me think is has other reason.
turn kids into gun hatters by getting them in trouble for anything gun related,  it's happening too often to ignore.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#17    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:57 AM

The teacher makes a big deal out of nothing how about cell phones going off in class thats worst then a tee shirt with a nra logo lol

#18    aztek

aztek

Telekinetic

• 6,975 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:14 AM

View Postcoolguy, on 22 April 2013 - 03:57 AM, said:

The teacher makes a big deal out of nothing how about cell phones going off in class thats worst then a tee shirt with a nra logo lol
yep, but you don't see anything other gun related troubles that kids get into on the news, unless there is rape or murder, so kids all over the country know you get in trouble for gun anything in school. kids don't even have to get in trouble personally, news all over us about other kids punished for that, leaves bad taste in the mouth", and they will most likely grow up, to look at guns as evil, and teach their kids the same. generation of toothless slaves.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#19    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 4,074 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:35 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 21 April 2013 - 11:59 PM, said:

never quite understood the lack of school uniforms the US schools.

I think it's because schooling is mandatory and forcing them to dress in certain clothes for something they have no choice in would violate freedom of expression.

#20    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 15,188 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:42 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 22 April 2013 - 03:06 AM, said:

it could be that the shirt was the straw that broke the camel's back.
I know I've busted a kid off to detention (and incidentally tosuspension) because he puahed another kid. a aimple push that came at the very end of a litany of other little things, but the reason he was in trouble that last time was because he Pushed someone.
I agree with you and PA that there is probably more to the story but the facts as presented smack of a politically motivated over reaction.  If there is more then I stand to be corrected.  I'm not even a member of the NRA, though I once was while I took part in competition shooting sports.  The organization just seemed overly political to me but now I'm rethinking that position.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#21    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 15,188 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:45 AM

View PostWickian, on 22 April 2013 - 04:35 AM, said:

I think it's because schooling is mandatory and forcing them to dress in certain clothes for something they have no choice in would violate freedom of expression.
Many school districts are beginning to go to uniforms because of gang violence in schools.  Even in a conservative Bible belt place like Alabama we have many schools that require uniforms.  I think it is overall good for discipline and helps with the "class system" of wealthy students and poorer students being at odds over clothing choices.  They usually give the students one free day per week to choose their own styles (within reason).

“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#22    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 27,054 posts

• Paranoid Android... Gorram it kid, let's frak this thing and go home! Make it so!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:09 AM

View Postand then, on 22 April 2013 - 04:45 AM, said:

Many school districts are beginning to go to uniforms because of gang violence in schools.  Even in a conservative Bible belt place like Alabama we have many schools that require uniforms.  I think it is overall good for discipline and helps with the "class system" of wealthy students and poorer students being at odds over clothing choices.  They usually give the students one free day per week to choose their own styles (within reason).
One day a week :o in Australia where school uniforms are mandatory we were lucky to get a "Mufti day once a term (4 terms in the year) and they were usually associated with other special events (such as jeans for genes day) and everyone who went in Mufti had to give a gold coin ($1 or $2) donation.

But I agree with the reasoning about class disparity. Uniforms break the barrier between rich and poor.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#23    aztek

aztek

Telekinetic

• 6,975 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:48 AM

there are schools in usa that have uniforms, but those are not public schools,

RESIDENT TROLL.

#24    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 15,188 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:58 AM

View Postaztek, on 22 April 2013 - 05:48 AM, said:

In south Alabama our public schools instituted a uniform policy several years ago.  Local school boards have the authority to impose such rules.  There was resistance, as you can imagine, but it was eventually accepted and has been a positive thing imo.

#25    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,317 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

It sounds to me like the teacher might have a personal 'issue'  with this particular kid?    If the shirt was within the dress code rule limits.. then the teacher was out of line?

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#26    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,545 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:26 PM

Not really enough information in the articles to make a call one way or the other but...

I remember way back that certain colors or clothing were bannable because of gang related issues... Not too long ago there were multiple instances of students wearing U.S. flag clothing getting into trouble for their freedom of speech. So I am not too surprised considering how guns are such a hot topic for us right now that a kid could get into trouble for wearing a shirt with a gun on it. I'm not trying to say if it's right or not, I'm just not surprised.

#27    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• 2,078 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

Well...back in the late 70's and early 80's...there was certain things you could not have on a shirt.  I had a T-shirt from a "Bad Company" concert I went to that had a big pot leaf on it...had to turn it inside out and was told not to wear it again.  I had a baseball jersey with some clever comment about sex and had to turn that one inside out too.

I don't doubt the lib's in the schools didn't like the "gun" shirt...but being told what is acceptable apparel is not new.  Everyone is just a tad bit hypersensitive to crap these days.  Sad but true.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#28    Bama13

Bama13

Psychic Spy

• 2,083 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

View PostJeremiah65, on 22 April 2013 - 01:27 PM, said:

Well...back in the late 70's and early 80's...there was certain things you could not have on a shirt.  I had a T-shirt from a "Bad Company" concert I went to that had a big pot leaf on it...had to turn it inside out and was told not to wear it again.  I had a baseball jersey with some clever comment about sex and had to turn that one inside out too.

I don't doubt the lib's in the schools didn't like the "gun" shirt...but being told what is acceptable apparel is not new.  Everyone is just a tad bit hypersensitive to crap these days.  Sad but true.

Different schools have different rules. I wore a "Smoke Colombian" t-shirt and another that said "A day late and a dollar short, nothing to smoke and nothing to snort" to school and never got in trouble. This was in the 70s.

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#29    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,493 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

View Postand then, on 22 April 2013 - 01:31 AM, said:

The teenager wore a teeshirt with the NRA logo and a hunting rifle -in West Virginia of all places - and it was considered "disruptive"?  Maybe....MAYBE..if the shirt had had an AR-15 and targets with recognizable silhouettes or some such, but a hunting rifle?  It's OTT political correctness and it needs stamping out before it absolutely RUINS this country.  I'm SICK OF IT........GRRRRRRRRRR  :angry:

Because the school is saying they want no images of 'violence'.  That's what they have determined the gun is.  It's got nothing to do with the NRA logo, it's the gun.  They determined it was disruptive. JUST like if it were depicting drugs, or sex.  They determined it was wrong.   Why no outrage until it's a gun?

Yes, I agree it's unfair, but I can't see where the 'freedom of speech' is being restricted.  This whole thing is being blown completely out of proportion.

#30    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,493 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:14 PM

View Postaztek, on 22 April 2013 - 05:48 AM, said:

Our local public schools have uniforms.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users