Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The world: what went wrong?

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#151    MysticStrummer

MysticStrummer

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

• The great path has no gates. Thousands of roads enter it. When one passes through this gateless gate, he walks freely between heaven and earth.

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:14 PM

I agree that things have gotten worse and most likely will continue to do so, but I don't see any need to connect that to the Bible or any other religious text.

We're simply animals, and not as evolved as we like to pretend.

Watch the beginning of 2001: A Space Odyssey, where one group of pre-humans fights over a piece of land with another group of pre-humans. Now transpose that scene to the present, where we fight with each over oil and other natural resources, using much more advanced weaponry. It's the same scene with better technology.

Not much has really changed. Whether it's on the basis of nationality, skin color, political party, religion, level of income, sexual preference, or any other reason, we still like to divide ourselves up into tribes/clans/gangs and feel superior to the other tribes/clans/gangs.

What went wrong?

Nothing. We've just evolved enough to give ourselves the ability to dominate and destroy each other on a planetary scale.

Now we need to evolve past that stage.

Whether we'll give ourselves the chance to do that or not is up in the air.

Ummon asked : "The world is such a wide world, why do you answer a bell and don ceremonial robes?" ~ Zen Flesh Zen Bones

#152    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

View Postszentgyorgy, on 25 May 2013 - 02:26 PM, said:

Sorry to be such a latecomer, Pantodragon.

Despite my spiritual beliefs, I concur with your analysis--especially the fact that we're in "the thick of it" even as we speak. . .

As Leonard Cohen, Jewish-by-birth-practicing-buddhist-Canadian-poet-songwriter-singer, says:

"I've seen the future, it is murder."

The future is now.

Aaaah!  Don't apologize!  After 148 comments, to finally receive one that is largely in agreement comes as a breath of fresh air, as a Spring morning after the Winter snows, as a the Christmas lull in the WWI trenches........

#153    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:46 PM

View Postthird_eye, on 25 May 2013 - 02:37 PM, said:

awww ... let's put Armageddon aside for a while ... it's the weekend ...

Posted Image

Armageddon can wait ....

Did you not read the story of King Canute?  If not, google it now!

#154    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:49 PM

View PostMysticStrummer, on 25 May 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

I agree that things have gotten worse and most likely will continue to do so, but I don't see any need to connect that to the Bible or any other religious text.

It's a metaphor.  It allows me to say what I want much more concisely and clearly and understandably than if I was to use the logic, jargon and structured argument of science or philosophy.

#155    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 6,831 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:54 PM

View Postpantodragon, on 27 May 2013 - 02:46 PM, said:

Did you not read the story of King Canute?  If not, google it now!

a crown on a soft head is a very bad thing ... anyways the weekend is over , bring on Armageddon ~

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#156    SoloCell

SoloCell

Government Agent

• 3,284 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:02 PM

View PostMysticStrummer, on 25 May 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

I agree that things have gotten worse and most likely will continue to do so...

Really? Tell that to the 60's, or the 50's...or, really, any time before now. I would posit opposite as a matter of fact.

I think we are lucky to live in a time where technology is making life better for people, creating clean drinking water where there was none before. We are able to start reversing the damage to the planet we have been doing for the last 200 years (longer if you want to get technical about it).

We are actively studying Mars, finding planets outside our solar system almost daily.

Information is available at the tip of almost anyones finger.

Tolerance has never been higher.

Things aren't so bad, all things considered.

#157    Beany

Beany

Poltergeist

• 2,998 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:18 PM

I think when we're (we, either singular or collectively), are in the midst of difficulties, that's mostly what we tend to see, like the forest for the trees thing. It's like we're trapped in an opaque bubble of misery and can't see anything outside of that. I have always been a hopeful person. I recognize that humanity is almost always in a crisis of one kind or another, much of it of our own making, and the bill always comes due. The same is true, I think, for our personal lives. Here's what I'm hopeful about: that these crises of our own making often have solutions, and these solutions come out of increased knowledge, education, comprehension, compassion, and good will, among other things. If we made the problem, then we have a chance of fixing it. I'm not saying this will always happen, I'm saying there is almost always an opportunity there, and hopefully someone or someones will spot it.

But you know what's said about it being the darkest before dawn, about the light at the end of the tunnel, etc. In my life, I've often had to trust that there WAS a light at the end of the tunnel, that indeed I WAS in a tunnel, that I would move through it and out of it and into the light. And for me, that's always been the case. Others can speak for themselves. This may or may not be true collectively, IDK, but I believe that solutions arise out of hope or desperation, either is a great motivator. So things go wrong, sure, always have and always will. But things also go right as well, and recognizing that helps us keep our balance and see that bigger picture.

#158    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:54 PM

When all else fails, blame the women. Good grief.  I thought the world was a bit more evolved than that.  Women are not the ones who start wars.

#159    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:20 PM

View Postmoonshadow60, on 29 May 2013 - 09:54 PM, said:

When all else fails, blame the women. Good grief.  I thought the world was a bit more evolved than that.  Women are not the ones who start wars.

I do reckon the world would be a better place if we had a lot more female heads of state!

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#160    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 6,831 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:28 PM

women can be no better when it comes to the stakes and fires .... its the system not the state ....

Posted Image

dictators starts innocently enough ....

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#161    Ratte

Ratte

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

• The slippery are very crafty.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:24 PM

Ha, and I thought I had a negative outlook on life! After reading almost all of this, I feel much better about the way I view the world.

Also, blaming women is a bad strategy. It makes you look like a moron. Women are not inherantly weak or unintelligent. They are the same as us men with a few minor chemical differences that, in the long run, amount to squat. Modern women act the way they do as a result of improper treatment over centuries. They are equals, not a sub-class of humans. If only all genders could realize this.

As for mental diseases; they are over diagnosed. Pharmesutical companies need to make money somehow. As do therapists and doctors. To live is to know joy and sorrow, yet people wish to only be acquainted with joy. If a company says that something that everyone experiences is wrong and they can fix it, boy you better believe they'll make a lot of money. It's not rocket science.

To answer the main question of the thread I have to say that nothing went wrong. It has always been wrong.

Posted Image

#162    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:27 PM

View PostRatte, on 01 June 2013 - 09:24 PM, said:

Also, blaming women is a bad strategy. It makes you look like a moron.

So, you choose your opinions to make yourself look good, or at least reject those which would bring disapprobation?  I suspect that may be common but for myself, I prefer to be true to myself, to hold to the truth as I see it, no matter what pressure is brought to bear by other people; to do otherwise is to lie and deceive and to lack self-respect.

#163    Beany

Beany

Poltergeist

• 2,998 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:02 PM

Ratte, I get your thoughts about how some segments of society view women. It's a disservice to women & society as a whole and nobody benefits, except for maybe those misogomists who get to feel all superior and on top, if those can be said to be benefits. And I appreciate the civility of your post.

#164    Ratte

Ratte

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

• The slippery are very crafty.

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:26 AM

View Postpantodragon, on 03 June 2013 - 04:27 PM, said:

So, you choose your opinions to make yourself look good, or at least reject those which would bring disapprobation?  I suspect that may be common but for myself, I prefer to be true to myself, to hold to the truth as I see it, no matter what pressure is brought to bear by other people; to do otherwise is to lie and deceive and to lack self-respect.
When I said "you", I wasn't referring to you, specifically. Perhaps I should have said "it makes one look".

I don't see how women gaining rights has caused anything bad to happen. If you would care to try to prove me wrong, you are welcome to.

To suffer in silence as women did not so long ago  is not for the better of society. Unhappy women have unhappy children (if they so decide to have children) and unhappy children make unhappy parents. Then the whole world is unhappy. Perhaps we are still recovering from this?

I am also stating my opinion when I say "it makes you look like a moron" as you are when you say "the truth as [you] see it". My truth may not be your truth, but since it is an opinion, it doesn't really matter, does it?

View PostBeany, on 04 June 2013 - 02:02 PM, said:

Ratte, I get your thoughts about how some segments of society view women. It's a disservice to women & society as a whole and nobody benefits, except for maybe those misogomists who get to feel all superior and on top, if those can be said to be benefits. And I appreciate the civility of your post.
Thank you!

I do, however, believe that the genders have their own respective strengths and weaknesses. They are not, however, black and white. Some will get all and others will get none at all or a wide range of variation. That is the wonderful thing about evolution. Adaptation to ones environment.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users