Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * - - - 3 votes

How the Right Manufactures Fear of Muslims

• Please log in to reply
247 replies to this topic

Poll: Changing views on Muslims (28 member(s) have cast votes)

How have your thoughts changed towards Muslims?

1. I am a Christian and my views have changed to better understand and accept Muslims. (5 votes [17.86%])

Percentage of vote: 17.86%

2. I am not a Chrisitan and my views have changed to better understand and accept Muslims. (7 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. I am a Chrisitan and my views have changed to take a dimmer view against Muslims. (4 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

4. I am not a Christian and my views have changed to take a dimmer view against Muslims. (7 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

5. Obligatory other (5 votes [17.86%])

Percentage of vote: 17.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#241    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 6,935 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:01 PM

America is thee most generation nation on the planet. Our government gives away more of our tax money to nations than anyone, even the nations who don't deserve a dime. The private sector gives more in charity than anyone. And as soon as any conflict or emergency arises America is damned as heartless greedmongers if we don't immediately come to help and then when we come to help we are deemed intrusive and overbearing and unwanted.
The thing I can't stand about your side, the progressive left, is you never have one good thing to say about your own country and all you want to do is change it instead of preserving it.

Posted Image

#242    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 6,935 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:36 PM

Oops... generous nations, not generation nation

Posted Image

#243    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 11,426 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:20 AM

as for the OP - I'm Catholic and my views of Muslims haven't changed. I care little if people believe in Allah, Buddha or nothing at all.
I judge individuals on their actions. The Bali bombers? Nasty people. Mister X who came to the school I teach at to teach kids about Rahamdan? Lovely chap.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#244    darkmoonlady

darkmoonlady

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

• Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'-Shawshank Redemption/Life is a buffet and most poor suckers are starving to death-Auntie Mame

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

The Christian Right definitely does use the Muslims as a means of furthering an "us and them" mentality. It serves a purpose in that in order for Christianity to seem relevant and have something to rail against they have something to get the flock fired up and giving money. Look at the extreme Right and someone like Pat Robertson, granted he's WAY out there but he's been claiming the "evilness" of Islam for a while now and spouting how they hate Christians etc. Funny thing is that Islam isn't doing anything and hasn't done anything that Christianity hasn't done in the recent past. If you did a side by side comparison of both Christianity and Islam for ugly acts against mankind, they are pretty much neck and neck. I sometimes wonder if Christianity (from the Right in the US specifically) doesn't like Islam for the simple reason that it reminds modern Christians that some of them are not that far removed from what a tiny minority of Islamic believers are doing now..

“The beauty of religious mania is that it has the power to explain everything. Once God (or Satan) is accepted as the first cause of everything which happens in the mortal world, nothing is left to chance …or change... logic can be happily tossed out the window. Religious mania is one of the few infallible ways of responding to the worlds vagaries, because it totally eliminates pure accident. To the true religious maniac, it’s ALL on purpose” – Stephen King, The Stand

#245    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,602 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:34 PM

View PostLeave Britney alone!, on 28 April 2013 - 06:16 PM, said:

I am not surpised you have a unsophisticated view of peace just as you do with war.

To make it simple for you then the largest kid on the block can either be a bully or either be chill and help others when he can.
I like your analogy, and I take it you mean the US is the largest kid on the block.  The extent it has played one role or the other will be something for historians out further in the future to determine.  The reality in schools is that it is up to the adults to stop the bullies, but on the world scene there are no adults.

#246    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• 1,552 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:02 PM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 29 April 2013 - 02:20 AM, said:

as for the OP - I'm Catholic and my views of Muslims haven't changed. I care little if people believe in Allah, Buddha or nothing at all.
I judge individuals on their actions. The Bali bombers? Nasty people. Mister X who came to the school I teach at to teach kids about Rahamdan? Lovely chap.

Nicely put. Although my revision fried brain replaced Mister X with this guy from my childhood :P

'Good' is not the same as 'nice'.
'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#247    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:18 PM

View Postdarkmoonlady, on 29 April 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

Funny thing is that Islam isn't doing anything and hasn't done anything that Christianity hasn't done in the recent past. If you did a side by side comparison of both Christianity and Islam for ugly acts against mankind, they are pretty much neck and neck.

Define recent past? Christianity has nothing like Sharia laws that are applied with vigour in the 21st century. Do you have anything to compare to death sentences for adultery (by stoning), apostatizing or homosexuality?

#248    regeneratia

regeneratia

Government Agent

• 4,362 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

• It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

The Right has manufactured fear of Christians in me, since the Right behaves so disrespectfully and with atrocity.
In fact, I sat and talked to someone the other day who follows Glenn Beck. At the end of the conversation, this fella thought we should just shoot all the people living on welfare. I mean, he wants to kill them off. He didn't wait for me to say that a good portion of his own party is on food stamps. He left.

Now I am a nurse. the idea of killing anyone because they get welfare money is unthinkable!!
Who has thoughts like that? And what is wrong with these people who only value life that is unborn?

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema
(quote from THE BIBLE FRAUD)

Robert Heinlein: SECRECY IS THE HALLMARK OF TYRANNY!

#249    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,602 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

View Postregeneratia, on 29 April 2013 - 05:23 PM, said:

The Right has manufactured fear of Christians in me, since the Right behaves so disrespectfully and with atrocity.
In fact, I sat and talked to someone the other day who follows Glenn Beck. At the end of the conversation, this fella thought we should just shoot all the people living on welfare. I mean, he wants to kill them off. He didn't wait for me to say that a good portion of his own party is on food stamps. He left.

Now I am a nurse. the idea of killing anyone because they get welfare money is unthinkable!!
Who has thoughts like that? And what is wrong with these people who only value life that is unborn?
I would say the likelihood of that story being pious fraud is immense.  I suppose there are a few here and there who want to shoot all sorts of people, but what you are implying about the right is just slanderous

#250    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 6,935 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:28 PM

Right on Frank.

View Postregeneratia, on 29 April 2013 - 05:23 PM, said:

It's just too stereotypical of left wing slander. It could be true but I'll bet you came to that conclusion yourself. You probably were trying to pull a strawman argument on him and those words probably didn't come out of his mouth verbatim. As I said, it might be true but by using Glenn Beck as an example of the way he thinks makes that unlikely since Beck would never say or advocate such things. He's kooky and overly passionate sometimes but isn't violent at all. I think what you were trying to say was that this guy's a rightie and he likes Beck so he must feel a certain way. He probably left the conversation because he couldn't take the insanity coming from the nurse who would fork out money for Kermit Gosnell's defense.

Posted Image

#251    darkmoonlady

darkmoonlady

Psychic Spy

• 1,300 posts

• Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'-Shawshank Redemption/Life is a buffet and most poor suckers are starving to death-Auntie Mame

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:53 PM

Beck, and his ilk of course would NEVER advocate violence but incite the hatred behind what makes people act out violently? That is a whole different story.
Here are some online articles that discuss that line that Beck walks:

http://www.the-richm...f-inciting.html

http://readersupport...em-in-the-headq

I don't think all Tea party members are violent however when someone wants to incite violence they can and will do it. It leaves them with clean hands and the ability to keep spouting hatred.

“The beauty of religious mania is that it has the power to explain everything. Once God (or Satan) is accepted as the first cause of everything which happens in the mortal world, nothing is left to chance …or change... logic can be happily tossed out the window. Religious mania is one of the few infallible ways of responding to the worlds vagaries, because it totally eliminates pure accident. To the true religious maniac, it’s ALL on purpose” – Stephen King, The Stand

#252    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 6,935 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:14 PM

I just read the shoot them in the head link. He certainly did say that. I'll give it to you.
Let me give something a shot here, no pun intended. He said he believes in something so strongly that the only way he will ever stop professing his beliefs is if you shoot him in the head. A short time later, while talking about the progressive communists who are bent on taking over our political system, he said the only way to stop them is to shoot them in the head too. I can certainly see that as coming off violent but I don't think that was his true intent. It was a metaphor to describe how deeply people in our government feel about destroying our founding principles. Again, certainly not the best way to get a point across but I don't really think Beck meant to incite violence. I'll bet there was a further transcript or perhaps a show a day or so later where he clarified that statement. I won't defend it further.

As for the other link, c'mon. You can't blame Beck for the acts of nuts. First, he always said in his shows not to believe him and to do your own homework. Second, there has always been nutcases out for political vengeance. You can't blame anyone but the perpetrator. If Beck was so influential in inciting violence wouldn't you think there'd be a few million political renegades running around by now? Hell, we'd be having a civil war at the moment if that was the case.
Who is to blame for all the crazy Independents that go on political rampages? Or the far left environmentalist terrorists? Or the far left wingnut terrorists like Bill Ayers? Or far right terrorists like Timothy McVeigh? Or Muslim Terrorists? Some f them may actually have direct influential sources, many do not. The point is that all crazy people who do crazy things have themselves to blame. Indirect sources like Beck... well it's a real stretch, like conspiracy type stretch, to put blame squarely on them.

Posted Image

#253    darkmoonlady

darkmoonlady

Psychic Spy

• 1,300 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:37 PM

But that is my point exactly, he doesn't have to commit violent acts himself, in fact he'd never do that, but inciting it in others is something that he seems to not mind. Yes there are nutcases as you call them out there, again exactly my point, he gets people who maybe don't have the self control to say ok it's best if I just think these things but not act them and gets them more paranoid, more afraid, more fearful. All of those things can and do cause others to commit violence. I think it's amazingly ironic that Beck frequently uses the idea that Hitler incited violence in fearful and angry people but cannot see that he does the exact same thing himself against those he disagrees with.

Edited by darkmoonlady, 29 April 2013 - 11:38 PM.

#254    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 6,935 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:59 PM

I guess that's debatable. I find such things far fetched perhaps because I don't have such violent urges no matter what I hear and see and my mind isn't so able to be molded by others. I happen to have watched and listened to my fair share of Beck and I love his website theblaze.com but I've never caught on to a habit of inciting violence. Both he and his website happen to embellish and sensationalize a good bit but that's when I either tune out or make an extra effort to hear/read it out, take in the main points and figure out my own perception of the story at hand.

Posted Image

#255    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,444 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:03 AM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 29 April 2013 - 11:59 PM, said:

I guess that's debatable. I find such things far fetched perhaps because I don't have such violent urges no matter what I hear and see and my mind isn't so able to be molded by others. I happen to have watched and listened to my fair share of Beck and I love his website theblaze.com but I've never caught on to a habit of inciting violence. Both he and his website happen to embellish and sensationalize a good bit but that's when I either tune out or make an extra effort to hear/read it out, take in the main points and figure out my own perception of the story at hand.

That can be used as an excuse for the people who are already sick and twisted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users