Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * - - - 3 votes

How the Right Manufactures Fear of Muslims

• Please log in to reply
247 replies to this topic

Poll: Changing views on Muslims (28 member(s) have cast votes)

How have your thoughts changed towards Muslims?

1. I am a Christian and my views have changed to better understand and accept Muslims. (5 votes [17.86%])

Percentage of vote: 17.86%

2. I am not a Chrisitan and my views have changed to better understand and accept Muslims. (7 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. I am a Chrisitan and my views have changed to take a dimmer view against Muslims. (4 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

4. I am not a Christian and my views have changed to take a dimmer view against Muslims. (7 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

5. Obligatory other (5 votes [17.86%])

Percentage of vote: 17.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,636 posts
  • Location:This new war has taken a toll on families, my part is coming to a close on this front, leaving soon on a mayday.

• It seems so important now but you will get over.
    -AF

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:14 PM

That is the way most Muslims understand the word. They are familiar with the way you and others misuse it though.

#47    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:16 PM

View Postshrooma, on 23 April 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

no-one is born a 'muslim', in the same way no-one is born a 'christian' or a 'kitchen appliance salesman' or a 'liberal democrat'.
these things are learned, taught, not innate. you are no more genetically programmed to be a muslim at birth than you are to like purple and yellow striped socks.

That is your world-view, but not the islamic one. Under islamic law, every child of a muslim is a muslim. Period. Leaving the religion is impossible (punishable by death under Shariah). So yes, you are born into islam.

Same advice to you as to Britney: Please inform yourself.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#48    meryt-tetisheri

meryt-tetisheri

Psychic Spy

• 1,262 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:16 PM

View PostZaphod222, on 23 April 2013 - 03:11 PM, said:

I understand you are a Copt, and my heart goes out for you.
The days for your people in Egypt are numbered, now with the takeover of the Muslim Brotherhood.
It is truly sad to watch this; and I wish I could do something about it. My sympathy anyway.

Thank you for your sympathy. Thousands have immigrated during the last two years, still more are planning to, but the days of Copts in Egypt are not numbered. Many refuse to leave their country. The MB has created a toxic atmosphere in Egypt for all Egyptians, more so for Copts, but Copts will not be evicted from their country, there will never be an Egypt without Copts!

Edited by meryt-tetisheri, 23 April 2013 - 03:20 PM.

#49    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,614 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:18 PM

View PostLeave Britney alone!, on 23 April 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

That is the way most Muslims understand the word. They are familiar with the way you and others misuse it though.

Britney, you have absolutely no clue about how "most muslims" understand or not understand a world. You pull statements like that out of thin air.

One thing is for sure: The islamic jihadists do not see the islamic jihad as an oh-so-peaceful personal struggle.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#50    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,416 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

Posted Image

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#51    ciriuslea

ciriuslea

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

• CHAMP20NS

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

View PostZaphod222, on 23 April 2013 - 04:31 AM, said:

Your experiment would be more enlightening for you if you tried to live for a day as a Jew, a Christian, a Buddhist, a declared atheist, an apostate, or a homosexual in a Middle Eastern country.
Of course, in the ones that practise Shariah, the last experience would be a short one, indeed.

Really lol I fully understand the implications of what you suggest, but that wouldn't give me any insight into Muslim perspective on any western inflicted terrorism :no: and perhaps why its so easy for extremest to radicalise people like the Boston bombers, you can give your opinion and try to manipulate my perspective with your own but that doesn't really help me, I personally think we would have a very similar situation if we took religion out of the equation, we know that peoples differences no matter what they are are used negatively

#52    F3SS

F3SS

Old Burg

• 8,124 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:17 PM

View PostLeave Britney alone!, on 23 April 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

If we are misusing the word it is only because of how we learned of it back in 2001. They said it meant holy war and it seems they meant it. So now it has two meanings and I'm only concerned about one of them. Again, you do realize there are plenty if jihadis that would happily cut your head off in front of an audience? You focus so much time telling everyone how many good ones there are as if people can't understand that. Your problem is that you refuse to acknowledge the bad ones and have a conniption when someone mentions them. Hell, even Bill Maher is sensible about this subject. He had a guest on the other night who sounded just like you and Maher actually told him he was speaking liberal bullsht. If Maher can say that then surely so can you. And if it helps he had nothing nice to say about the 'right' during the rest of the show.

#53    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 8,534 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:24 PM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 23 April 2013 - 08:17 PM, said:

If we are misusing the word it is only because of how we learned of it back in 2001. They said it meant holy war and it seems they meant it. So now it has two meanings and I'm only concerned about one of them. Again, you do realize there are plenty if jihadis that would happily cut your head off in front of an audience? You focus so much time telling everyone how many good ones there are as if people can't understand that. Your problem is that you refuse to acknowledge the bad ones and have a conniption when someone mentions them. Hell, even Bill Maher is sensible about this subject. He had a guest on the other night who sounded just like you and Maher actually told him he was speaking liberal bullsht. If Maher can say that then surely so can you. And if it helps he had nothing nice to say about the 'right' during the rest of the show.
Sad thing about it all is the islamists have been going for a very long time and most people just classed them as a nutty religious sect, but somehow they have managed to grow, and grow, and grow!!! the signs were always there, many just chose to ignore them.  The likes of Boko Harem is one of many from a very long line.

Edited by freetoroam, 23 April 2013 - 08:24 PM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#54    F3SS

F3SS

Old Burg

• 8,124 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:30 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 23 April 2013 - 08:24 PM, said:

Sad thing about it all is the islamists have been going for a very long time and most people just classed them as a nutty religious sect, but somehow they have managed to grow, and grow, and grow!!! the signs were always there, many just chose to ignore them.  The likes of Boko Harem is one of many from a very long line.
Everyone keeps arguing with me that Islamists aren't the only terrorists and bring up serial killers and mass shooters as if they don't get the difference between isolated nuts and an enormous and connected ever growing worldwide group bent on killing everyone who isn't them. They play on the technicality of the definition of the word.

#55    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 8,534 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 23 April 2013 - 08:30 PM, said:

Everyone keeps arguing with me that Islamists aren't the only terrorists and bring up serial killers and mass shooters as if they don't get the difference between isolated nuts and an enormous and connected ever growing worldwide group bent on killing everyone who isn't them. They play on the technicality of the definition of the word.
Tell me about it, I had years of it on another forum.
best one is here in England, just because the islamic political movement was defunct, some people actually believed they no longer operated....well they did operate under numerous other names and grew even faster.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#56    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,416 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:36 PM

Terrorist - one who incites terror through violence or the threat of violence

This definition covers the following -

international
religious
homegrown
individual

and probably many others.

Here is how it breaks down -

not all terrorists are Muslim, no matter how hard you play with the definition.

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#57    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 16,331 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:46 PM

It's odd to see a topic about the "Christian Right" started by someone, who just a couple of days ago,  was complaining about divisiveness.

#58    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 8,534 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:46 PM

View PostHerNibs, on 23 April 2013 - 08:36 PM, said:

international
religious
homegrown
individual

Nibs
Not all terrorists have been around for so long and still growing either!

#59    F3SS

F3SS

Old Burg

• 8,124 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:53 PM

View PostHerNibs, on 23 April 2013 - 08:36 PM, said:

international
religious
homegrown
individual

Nibs

Very good Sherlock. In light of these times and the context of the current events why must we be reminded of that? When we are speaking of terrorism right now we should all be on the same page by now. If someone wants to bring up terrorism in conversation are you going to act like you don't know what they're referring to? Will the first thing you think of be Hells Angels bikers terrorizing? Doubt it. Teenagers egging houses? Yea ok.

View PostMichelle, on 23 April 2013 - 08:46 PM, said:

It's odd to see a topic about the "Christian Right" started by someone, who just a couple of days ago,  was complaining about divisiveness.
Very good. Typical liberal.

#60    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 8,534 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:56 PM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 23 April 2013 - 08:53 PM, said:

Very good Sherlock. In light of these times and the context of the current events why must we be reminded of that? When we are speaking of terrorism right now we should all be on the same page by now. If someone wants to bring up terrorism in conversation are you going to act like you don't know what they're referring to? Will the first thing you think of be Hells Angels bikers terrorizing? Doubt it. Teenagers egging houses? Yea ok.

Very good. Typical liberal.
Sure you mentioned this sort of thing happening in your earlier post, surprised the serial killers and mass shooters were not mentioned too, but give it time!.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users