Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Half Guantanamo detainees on hunger strike

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

Eighty-four of the 166 prisoners held at the US-run Guantanamo Bay facility are now on hunger strike, US military officials have said.

The prisoners are protesting against their indefinite detention. Most are being held without charge.

Sixteen of the 84 prisoners are being force-fed and five are being treated in hospital. None has a life-threatening condition, according to the military.

View: Read more

Posted Image

#2    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,995 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

Saves on the food bills!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#3    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,635 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:16 PM

More for the other half to eat.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#4    ciriuslea

ciriuslea

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

• CHAMP20NS

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:27 PM

Can you imagine the uproar if a Muslim state had its own Gitmo holding Americans without trial, subjecting them to torture ?
Lets use Syria for example Assad would be well within his rights to detain any CIA or American with links to the military, or any westerner he thought had links to any military in Syria under the same principle, Its widely accepted the CIA were arming the 'rebels', that they now call terrorists.
American hypocrisy never ceases to amaze

#5    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,635 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

View Postciriuslea, on 23 April 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

Can you imagine the uproar if a Muslim state had its own Gitmo holding Americans without trial, subjecting them to torture ?
Lets use Syria for example Assad would be well within his rights to detain any CIA or American with links to the military, or any westerner he thought had links to any military in Syria under the same principle, Its widely accepted the CIA were arming the 'rebels', that they now call terrorists.
The muslim states do not work that way, the detainees would be beheaded within a few days!

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#6    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,583 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:14 PM

They are the ones choosing not to eat all because copies of the Koran weren't handled to their satisfaction.

I do believe if they haven't committed a crime they should be set free.

#7    Bama13

Bama13

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

View Postciriuslea, on 23 April 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

The difference is that we just might decide to get our people back. It is called the real world and might still makes right there.

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must." Thucydides

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#8    ciriuslea

ciriuslea

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

• CHAMP20NS

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:49 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 23 April 2013 - 01:11 PM, said:

The muslim states do not work that way, the detainees would be beheaded within a few days!

I think many of the people in Gitmo would probably welcome death, over the horror they have to endure, but aren't allowed to as demonstrated by force feeding, which I think is even more inhuman, keep them alive just to torture them, that's sick

#9    ciriuslea

ciriuslea

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

• CHAMP20NS

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:04 PM

View PostHilander, on 23 April 2013 - 01:14 PM, said:

They are the ones choosing not to eat all because copies of the Koran weren't handled to their satisfaction.

I do believe if they haven't committed a crime they should be set free.

I would assume that it doesn't take much for someone who has been reduced to the status of an animal, or has been subjected to the abuses committed in Gitmo on a daily basis for decades in some cases to flip, Its similar to the Irish hunger strikes of the 80's where they felt they had no other option and the only protest was to starve themselves to death.

#10    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,718 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:15 PM

View Postciriuslea, on 23 April 2013 - 01:49 PM, said:

I think many of the people in Gitmo would probably welcome death, over the horror they have to endure, but aren't allowed to as demonstrated by force feeding, which I think is even more inhuman, keep them alive just to torture them, that's sick

You act as if they are beaten daily.    Most of the "torture" reported has to do with the treatment of the qu'ran.  
You think keeping them alive is horrible?

#11    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,491 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:35 PM

What torture?  Please post proof of that.

Not that I agree with Gitmo, but claiming torture is a pretty serious accusation.  That demands proof.

#12    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,718 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

View Postsupervike, on 23 April 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

What torture?  Please post proof of that.

Not that I agree with Gitmo, but claiming torture is a pretty serious accusation.  That demands proof.
Even more is claiming so much torture that death should be allowed as an alternative.

#13    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,635 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

View Postciriuslea, on 23 April 2013 - 01:49 PM, said:

Some of them most likely would welcome death, but with a vest strapped on them!!

#14    ciriuslea

ciriuslea

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

• CHAMP20NS

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

View PostMyles, on 23 April 2013 - 02:15 PM, said:

You act as if they are beaten daily. Most of the "torture" reported has to do with the treatment of the qu'ran.  
You think keeping them alive is horrible?

Abuses cover more than being beaten but the frequency of any torture isn't the issue, the fact it goes on at all is, and enough evidence exists to prove it happens, I don't think posting links is going to serve any purpose in this thread.

#15    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,718 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:18 PM

View Postciriuslea, on 23 April 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

Abuses cover more than being beaten but the frequency of any torture isn't the issue, the fact it goes on at all is, and enough evidence exists to prove it happens, I don't think posting links is going to serve any purpose in this thread.
I think the frequency is part of the issue.    If 1 out of 166 is treated unfairly each week, it is not reason enough to allow them to kill themselves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users