Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Hubble snaps first image of ISON

ison comet hubble

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,867 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:41 AM

http://thespacerepor...of-the-century/

NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope has managed to capture the first image of comet ISON.

Posted Image

While the comet itself is little more than three miles in diameter, the shine emitted by ISON could cause it to appear brighter than any object in the night sky, including the moon, say astronomers. The massive comet tail, which measures a stunning 57,000 miles, is among the largest in the solar system.

I really am looking forward to seeing this comet! :clap: :tsu:

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#2    psyche101

psyche101

The Customer.

• 38,300 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:52 AM

Me too, I hope it survives it's brush with the sun. I do wonder why it is so bright?

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#3    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,765 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:22 AM

It's another reason to look forward to the Autumn :)

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#4    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:07 AM

I would guess its bright because its big.  It might also have to do with its composition, but I prefer just big -- comets are not known to vary much in what they are made of.

I wonder if its large size has any effect, one way or the other, on its likelihood of not making it around the sun in one piece.  I can see arguments for both views (the larger size meaning it is not as compact, the larger size meaning it has more gravity).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users