Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Kundalini Yoga and it's (fake?) religion

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    kallisti

kallisti

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:46 PM

Hey Everybody,
Over the last year I have been doing a lot of Kundalini Yoga.  It has helped me balance my moods and become at home in my body.  I took on a 40 day Kriya in which I practiced the same series of exercises and meditations very early in the morning every single day with complete devotion.  Towards the end of the 40 days I began to dig up some dirt on the Yogi Bhajan, the man who brought Kundalini to the west.  It appears as though he was a womanizer and a capitalist.  The yoga teachers in his lineage claim to be of the Sikh faith but further research into the Sikh's revealed that yoga is not part of the Sikh practice.

It seems that Yogi Bhajan made up all of these goofy yoga kriyas and meditations.  I do honestly feel like they have helped me and will continue to practice them.  I am wondering if anyone else has any experience with Kundalini yoga, what they think about Yogi Bhajan and I would love to hear from people of the Sikh faith.
Thanks!
I hope I put this in the correct forum!

“Weird doors open. People fall into things.”
David Sedaris

#2    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,487 posts

• Just because I do not agree doesn't mean I don't understand.

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:48 PM

A lot of these so-called 'yogis' are frauds. Sai Baba is one of them.
Anyways..if the yoga and meditations help you then I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Just remember not to get too enamored with these yogis, most of them are frauds and the rest are simply delusional.

#3    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:56 PM

View PostRyu, on 24 April 2013 - 09:48 PM, said:

A lot of these so-called 'yogis' are frauds. Sai Baba is one of them.
Anyways..if the yoga and meditations help you then I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Just remember not to get too enamored with these yogis, most of them are frauds and the rest are simply delusional.

Exactly - if the meditations are working for you, then you got what you wanted out of it. Doesn't matter what the source is!

Exploring your own consciousness is the fundamental right of every individual

Locking people in a cage because they choose to exercise that right should be considered a crime against humanity

#4    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 21,736 posts

• "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" (Freud )

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:34 PM

View Postkallisti, on 24 April 2013 - 06:46 PM, said:

Hey Everybody,
Over the last year I have been doing a lot of Kundalini Yoga.  It has helped me balance my moods and become at home in my body.  I took on a 40 day Kriya in which I practiced the same series of exercises and meditations very early in the morning every single day with complete devotion.  Towards the end of the 40 days I began to dig up some dirt on the Yogi Bhajan, the man who brought Kundalini to the west.  It appears as though he was a womanizer and a capitalist.  The yoga teachers in his lineage claim to be of the Sikh faith but further research into the Sikh's revealed that yoga is not part of the Sikh practice.

It seems that Yogi Bhajan made up all of these goofy yoga kriyas and meditations.  I do honestly feel like they have helped me and will continue to practice them.  I am wondering if anyone else has any experience with Kundalini yoga, what they think about Yogi Bhajan and I would love to hear from people of the Sikh faith.
Thanks!
I hope I put this in the correct forum!

One never ever has to 'buy' into the sell me a Guru prattle(training) to glean value out of things. I am an avid Bikram Yoga enthusiast (the exercise routine) but I do not give one iota about  Bikram as  some yogi all knowing g-d regardless of what he claims. I refuse to buy and I mean literally buy into his teacher training for thousands of dollars. Yet the hawtha side of the practice is fantastic, it keeps me in shape.

I am the same with way with any belief though, I stay out of getting caught up in the interpretation and listen to my own experience, how it works for me is the only voice I listen too. If this meditation has added to your life kudos to you!

#5    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,715 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

Watch the documentary "Kumare"

It's available on Netflix

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#6    kallisti

kallisti

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:27 AM

I watched Kumare last week!  What a thought provoking documentary.  It is probably what inspired me to post.  When he talked about making up yoga positions and sequences it hit close to home.  The yoga exercises I do are supposed to awaken the Kundalini energy that sits at the base of your spine and bring it up through your chakras.  I enjoy the exercises (though they can be very silly) and conscious breathing, it makes me feel really,really good. I have not felt my chakras activating.  If anyone who reads this has had a Kundalini awaking from doing the yoga, I would love to hear about it.

“Weird doors open. People fall into things.”
David Sedaris

#7    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,715 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:40 AM

View Postkallisti, on 27 April 2013 - 03:27 AM, said:

I watched Kumare last week!  What a thought provoking documentary.  It is probably what inspired me to post.  When he talked about making up yoga positions and sequences it hit close to home.  The yoga exercises I do are supposed to awaken the Kundalini energy that sits at the base of your spine and bring it up through your chakras.  I enjoy the exercises (though they can be very silly) and conscious breathing, it makes me feel really,really good. I have not felt my chakras activating.  If anyone who reads this has had a Kundalini awaking from doing the yoga, I would love to hear about it.
I have not, but my feeling is that there is something to it. I have felt many other types of energetic sensations and I imagine it's the same thing from a different cultural perspective. Just on a side note certain breathing exercises lower blood oxygen levels which can give you a euphoric feeling and heighten your experience with whatever movement or ritual your brain starts to associate it with. Some people even become adicted. A very old brainwashing technique, but it is useful in certain other ways.

Edited by Seeker79, 27 April 2013 - 05:41 AM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users