Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Common Sense vs Tolerance

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#46    F3SS

F3SS

Estranged

• 8,228 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:02 AM

View PostThanato, on 27 April 2013 - 02:36 AM, said:

You do seem to be fairly close minded. You attack a religion based on the actions of a minority.

~Thanato
Really? Are Muslim communities not the place you would look to for tips? Yea, it's a real statistic but it isn't too deep. It's a good stat
I've attacked nothing. You people and your unrelenting slander.

#47    Thanato

Thanato

Alien Abducter

• 4,611 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:08 AM

You might not of outright attacked a religion but based on your previous comments you do not regard them high at all. In fact it looks like you see them as the enemy.

~Thanato

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

"I will eat your unhappyness!" ~Caboose

"Freedom isn't bought in stores, it is bought on battlefields." ~Thanato

#48    F3SS

F3SS

Estranged

• 8,228 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:09 AM

I've explained myself enough already.

#49    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 21,329 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:49 AM

Winning line in video: Bill Maher says "That is Liberal Bullsh1t right there."

I also don't agree with Bill Maher on much of anything, but he nailed the discussion here.

View PostLeave Britney alone!, on 25 April 2013 - 02:25 AM, said:

In either case I don't watch Maher, he is not a true progressive, and you should quit parading him around as if he was one of us.
Are you kidding us?? Not a progressive!! Maher has been the very Champion of progressivism for decades. And now, because he calls a Spade a Spade, he's tossed onto the "Traitor" pile.

View PostRoyal, on 25 April 2013 - 02:58 AM, said:

The indictment of an entire religion can never equate to anything close to common sense!
But the condemnation of a entire nation is OK? (USA)

View PostThanato, on 25 April 2013 - 03:40 AM, said:

I know that 90% of the people who live there just want to go about their day and live their life.
I think the actual problem is that 10%. In a Western nation the percentage of people who want to go about their lives in liike 99.9999%. 10% of billion people maybe  wanting to act against the West scares the crap out of me.

--------------------------------
Profiling is based on facts (ideally), and if a Muslim middle eastern man is the highest threat statistically, I say we screen accordingly. It is stupid to handycap youself intentionally in order to simply prove that our nation is more cultured. Screw cultured, catch the bad guys.

--------------------------------
At people who say this will cause more Anti-Muslim sentiment.... Yes it will, and why shouldn't it? If there were 10 attacks on Muslim cities by Christian Fundamentalists that resulted in thousands of dead, wouldn't screening Christians traveling to those Musliims cities be wise? Hell yeah it would be wise. And you know what.... The various Muslim nations would have no problem performing such screening. Don't you think that Anti-Christian sentiment would rise? And rightfully so, IMHO.

Edited by DieChecker, 27 April 2013 - 07:55 AM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#50    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 15,126 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:01 AM

One does not have to be "anti-Muslim" or "closed-minded" to see that there are things genuinely and seriously wrong with Islam and that the world would be better off if it didn't exist.

But it does exist, and we have to live with reality, and one major reality is that most Muslims are not terrorists or whatever.  They still have cultural and religious views and a mind-set that those who believe in tolerance and a universal brotherhood find frightening and, of course, dead wrong.

#51    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,644 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.
    -AF

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:03 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 27 April 2013 - 07:49 AM, said:

Are you kidding us?? Not a progressive!! Maher has been the very Champion of progressivism for decades. And now, because he calls a Spade a Spade, he's tossed onto the "Traitor" pile.

He has not been thrown in any "traitor pile" since other progressives has never considered him one of us to begin with.

First of all he is an entertainer.

Below is just a small snippet of why else he is not one of us.

He describes himself as a Progressive, but he openly supports the death penalty and racial profiling. He is anti-union and crossed the picket lines during the writers’ strike to carry on with his show. After the strike ended, he made it a stipulation that any writer working on his Real Time show not belong to a union. He is virulently against the National Endowment for the Arts. Whilst he was vocal in his criticism of George W Bush, he lauded him for the Iraqi surge. He’s a fervent defender of Israel.

http://www.dailykos....-Is-Bill-Maher#

Edited by Leave Britney alone!, 27 April 2013 - 08:09 AM.

#52    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

• 3,644 posts

-AF

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:08 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 27 April 2013 - 08:01 AM, said:

One does not have to be "anti-Muslim" or "closed-minded" to see that there are things genuinely and seriously wrong with Islam and that the world would be better off if it didn't exist.

But it does exist, and we have to live with reality, and one major reality is that most Muslims are not terrorists or whatever.  They still have cultural and religious views and a mind-set that those who believe in tolerance and a universal brotherhood find frightening and, of course, dead wrong.

Ironically one speaks of the brotherhood of men in one vain so soon after publishing their own intolerant views (in bold above).

Edited by Leave Britney alone!, 27 April 2013 - 08:08 AM.

#53    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 15,126 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:10 AM

Your litmus tests for what constitutes a "progressive" will exclude pretty much everyone in one way or another except of course yourself.

#54    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

• 3,644 posts

-AF

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:42 AM

Doubtful, as there are plenty of progressives.

Edited by Leave Britney alone!, 27 April 2013 - 09:45 AM.

#55    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 13,047 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

name seven

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#56    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

• 3,644 posts

-AF

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:59 AM

John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur, Anne E. Casey, Mr. Robert “Wood” Johnson, John S. and James L. Knight, and Fjohűrs Lykkewe.

#57    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 13,047 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

cheers.
I wouldn't know them from Adam, but I'm an Aussie yokel.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#58    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

• 3,644 posts

-AF

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 27 April 2013 - 11:09 AM, said:

cheers.
I wouldn't know them from Adam, but I'm an Aussie yokel.

q:

#59    Royal

Royal

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 211 posts

• ...they keep us doped with religion and sex and tv...and we think we're so clever and classless and free...

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

No DieChecker,the condemnation of any group( nation, team, family, religion) for the acts of individuals within is not OK, and its not common sense.

"you oughta be in here looking out"

#60    Royal

Royal

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 211 posts

• ...they keep us doped with religion and sex and tv...and we think we're so clever and classless and free...

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 27 April 2013 - 08:01 AM, said:

That statement is a confession of closemindedness!

"you oughta be in here looking out"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users