Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Bill to require labeling of GMO foods

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,993 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:12 AM

Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-CA) and Rep. Peter DeFazio (D-OR) on Wednesday introduced legislation that would require labeling for all genetically engineered foods.

The Genetically Engineered Food Right-to-Know Act (PDF) would require any food that contains genetically engineered ingredients be labeled accordingly by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. If approved by Congress and signed into law, the United States would join more than 60 countries that require food labels to disclose genetically engineered ingredients.

Federal bill would require labeling of genetically modified food
I think they should have to tell us if we are eating a genetically modified food.

#2    A rather obscure Bassoon

A rather obscure Bassoon

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

• "The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage."

Mark Russel

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:43 AM

View PostHilander, on 25 April 2013 - 01:12 AM, said:

I think they should have to tell us if we are eating a genetically modified food.

Most definitely,I for one would avoid it if I knew it was GMO.

" Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitos. "

Anon.

#3    spartan max2

spartan max2

Government Agent

• 3,689 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:55 AM

hope this passes

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#4    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:11 AM

The bill has been defeated locally,in a few states already . If it passes federally ,I will be quite surprised.
They know if it has to be labeled ,and we see how much of our food is this garbage ,no one will buy it .

Miss me?

#5    Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

• Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today...
    As You don't know what tomorrow bring's.......

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:12 AM

View Postspartan max2, on 25 April 2013 - 01:55 AM, said:

hope this passes

It wont pass, Monsanto will see to that  :hmm:

Posted Image

#6    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:26 AM

I would say it's silly and would be impossible to enforce, but politics being what it is it may pass.  This is an example of political demagoguery at its worst.  

First of all, all foods we eat are genetically modified.  Do you think the corn you have with your potatoes is anything like the original maize?  What about those poor turkeys who are genetically modified to produce so much breast meat that they die of suffocation at an age of about one year?

Second, how do you define "genetically modified" in the law?  How does the artificial selection farmers have been doing since agriculture began differ from moving some genes around in a lab?  How do you tell the difference after the fact?

#7    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 13,798 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:03 AM

Selective breeding is not GMO - simple.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#8    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:20 AM

Now I wonder what GMO stands for and what farmers are doing when they selectively breed.

#9    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 13,798 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:30 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 25 April 2013 - 08:20 AM, said:

Now I wonder what GMO stands for and what farmers are doing when they selectively breed.
There are so many massive differences between selective breeding and GMO that the two are in no way comparable.
GMO is the smash and grab side of breeding - take a desired gene (desired because it produces a protein) and shotgun it into the DNA of another species. This leads to bacterial genes been introduced into bovine DNA. Here is the telling thing - the vast majority of the "crosses" are unviable mutations and cause the recieving cell to die. Only those tiny number of viable cells survive and are breed from. This should tell you everything you need to know about the "sophistication" of the process.
Coupled to this is the fact that there is little understanding of how those spliced genes will impact on the many unknown aspects of the "junk DNA" which comprises over 90% of the genome. To even attempt to manipulate the DNA of a higher species with the level of understanding of the genome we currently have is criminally insane.

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

#10    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:49 AM

You never did say what GMO stands for.

#11    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 13,798 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:01 AM

Genetically Modified Organism, generally used to refer to the technique of direct manipulation of an organisms Genome.
Selective breeding uses phenotype selection of desired characteristics of the "same" species to create a reinforcement of that charateristic in the offspring.

Selective breeding is not without risks, but those risks are entirely less likely, and more predictable, than using Gene splicing to achieve the same outcome.

View PostFrank Merton, on 25 April 2013 - 08:49 AM, said:

You never did say what GMO stands for.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius, 25 April 2013 - 09:03 AM.

Robert Anton Wilson

#12    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,993 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

Growth hormones is what makes a chicken have a breast the size of a Turkey.  That isn't good either.

#13    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

"Genetically Modified Organism."  I know why you didn't want to say what it means, since we eat nothing grown nowadays that hasn't been genetically modified, first by nature (natural selection) and then by farmers (artificial selection).  Do you think farmers get the yields and disease resistance and all that other stuff by changing anything other than the genes?

Basically, the fearmongering about GMO is rank superstition.  Nothing is being done that hasn't been done for billions of years.  

Fire is dangerous; indeed, water is dangerous.  You have to do more than say there might be dangers.  This whole thing is political demagoguery based on the chemical ignorance of the general public.

#14    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Baseless Opinionator

• 3,094 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

Wait - I thought Odrama already signed a bill that stated GM foods labeling was not required, and that no legal action can be taken against the GM food giants?

It was a big controversial thing a week or two ago. Or did that not go through...

"For God doth know that in the day ye eat [the fruit] thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil."

"The tragedy of humanity is that we have stone age instincts, medieval institutions and god-like powers."

#15    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,522 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 25 April 2013 - 02:23 PM, said:

"Genetically Modified Organism."  I know why you didn't want to say what it means, since we eat nothing grown nowadays that hasn't been genetically modified, first by nature (natural selection) and then by farmers (artificial selection).  Do you think farmers get the yields and disease resistance and all that other stuff by changing anything other than the genes?

Basically, the fearmongering about GMO is rank superstition.  Nothing is being done that hasn't been done for billions of years.  

Fire is dangerous; indeed, water is dangerous.  You have to do more than say there might be dangers.  This whole thing is political demagoguery based on the chemical ignorance of the general public.

...and you know this because you are geneticist? NOT!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users