Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Bill to require labeling of GMO foods

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#16    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,960 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

I think GMO food should be labeled as such. I'm not too terribly hopeful that it will happen soon considering how some other like measures have failed. I'm not necessarily against the technology itself, but I'm very against how it's being used currently.
Part of what makes me so leery about GMO is that most people don't understand how regular plant breeding works, and really don't understand how GMO works. Part of it is because it's so darn important for stuff to be labeled organic, but there seems to be a struggle against GMO labeling, and that just makes me unhappy.

#17    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,458 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

I gave you a specific definition of what GMO is understood to mean in common usage, and why it is different from traditional selective breeding techniques. I couldn't have been clearer in what I said and meant by the term GMO.

View PostFrank Merton, on 25 April 2013 - 02:23 PM, said:

"Genetically Modified Organism."  I know why you didn't want to say what it means, since we eat nothing grown nowadays that hasn't been genetically modified, first by nature (natural selection) and then by farmers (artificial selection).  Do you think farmers get the yields and disease resistance and all that other stuff by changing anything other than the genes?

Basically, the fearmongering about GMO is rank superstition.  Nothing is being done that hasn't been done for billions of years.  

Fire is dangerous; indeed, water is dangerous.  You have to do more than say there might be dangers.  This whole thing is political demagoguery based on the chemical ignorance of the general public.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#18    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,458 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

View PostDark_Grey, on 25 April 2013 - 02:28 PM, said:

Wait - I thought Odrama already signed a bill that stated GM foods labeling was not required, and that no legal action can be taken against the GM food giants?

It was a big controversial thing a week or two ago. Or did that not go through...
Obama signed an order which excused GMO manufacturers from future liability, he did not sign anything to do with GMO labelling. They are two seperate issues.

I ask you why the GMO manufacturers lobbied to have an exemption from liability for causing harm to consumers. What other foods are affforded such an exemption ?

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

#19    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 25 April 2013 - 02:33 PM, said:

Obama signed an order which excused GMO manufacturers from future liability, he did not sign anything to do with GMO labelling. They are two seperate issues.

Ah. Ok thanks for clearing that up.

View PostBr Cornelius, on 25 April 2013 - 02:33 PM, said:

I ask you why the GMO manufacturers lobbied to have an exemption from liability for causing harm to consumers. What other foods are affforded such an exemption ?

That's the part that I find a little unnerving...why would a food giant need an umbrella of legal protection if the food is really as safe as they say? Are they simply tired of constant court battles against the hippies?

If Monsato really did "sponsor" Obama's ride to the White House, I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that getting legal protection was something they were planning for all along.

Exploring your own consciousness is the fundamental right of every individual

Locking people in a cage because they choose to exercise that right should be considered a crime against humanity

#20    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,277 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

Refute my argument, not who I am.

#21    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,458 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:00 PM

Your argument is that there is no difference between GMO (as commonly used to describe processes of direct genetic manipulation) and selective breeding. There is a difference.
Your position is based on an unsound premise that GMO is a simple extension of selective breeding - it is not.

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

#22    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:09 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 25 April 2013 - 02:23 PM, said:

Nothing is being done that hasn't been done for billions of years.

Really, I wasn´t aware that they have been smushing together genes from eels and different types of salmon in laboratories for billions of years.

http://www.unexplain...pic=242293&st=0

Even the squirrels know what´s healthy.

Attached File  gmo squirrels 2.jpg   14.87K   4 downloads

]

View PostDark_Grey, on 25 April 2013 - 02:28 PM, said:

Wait - I thought Odrama already signed a bill that stated GM foods labeling was not required, and that no legal action can be taken against the GM food giants?

It was a big controversial thing a week or two ago. Or did that not go through...

The bill that passed had to do with lawsuits and protects Monsanto if SHF

http://www.unexplain...opic=245713&hl=

Edit: content at end

Edited by jugoso, 25 April 2013 - 03:11 PM.

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#23    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,639 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

The GMO fear is not blind fear. Whenever a study about them comes out from any place other then Monsanto it is bad. The FDA approved it safe but the studies that the FDA accepted were studies done inclusivly by Monsanto themselves.

Obma put a man who used to be the vice president of Montaso public policy program in the FDA.

Research will set you free lol

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#24    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,639 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:16 PM

Also i should add, look at all the countries that are banning GMO foods. Hmmmm maybe that means something ?

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#25    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,423 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:51 PM

GMO foods bother me but so does the fact they feed these chickens growth hormones until they have breasts the size of a turkey.  Have to wonder what the long term effect of that will be and how many other animals are done that way.

#26    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,458 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:00 AM

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

#27    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:12 AM

There was an article about Round Up today and it in itself is harmful. So yeah considering all thats been said this is a BIG issue now. Being planting season and all.

#28    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,277 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:14 AM

Fear is being fanned by demonizing Monsanto, as though they had some sort of super-political power.  The FDA's demonstrates that it is nonsense.  It reminds me of an aunt becoming convinced that her husband was trying to poison her, to the extent that she had him arrested on her testimony of all sorts of horrible symptoms.

You can always find hundreds of people to come forward if you give it publicity.  What are needed to prove harm is the same that is needed to prove help -- double-blind studies.

#29    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,458 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:08 AM

The FDA is loaded with Monsanto executive - it cannot be trusted to for-fill its roll of protecting the citizens from the effects of GMO. All the commercialized GMO which the FDA approved were not subjected to long term tests, and the tests they were subjected to were carried out by the the supplier. The FDA took their word for it when they had a vested interest in distorting the evidence. At the same time the FDA is making it increasingly difficult to use alternatives to the big agriseed sellers products, such that to sell products grown from saved seeds will not be possible to sell on the commercial food market. Food security can only be ensured by maintaining the greatest diversity of crops and seed varieties possible.

At this point huge alarm bells of "CONFLICT OF INTEREST" should be going off in everyone heads.

Anyone who thinks this is a safe and secure way of supplying the majority of our staple foods doesn't understand the first thing about how nature works.

This is not a conspiracy, its out in plain sight and is simply the way monopoly businesses operate. Are you going to let our essential food supply be hijacked to the interests of Monsanto's shareholders and their quest for total domination of the world food supply ?

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius, 26 April 2013 - 09:48 AM.

Robert Anton Wilson

#30    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,639 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 26 April 2013 - 08:14 AM, said:

Fear is being fanned by demonizing Monsanto, as though they had some sort of super-political power.  The FDA's demonstrates that it is nonsense.  It reminds me of an aunt becoming convinced that her husband was trying to poison her, to the extent that she had him arrested on her testimony of all sorts of horrible symptoms.

You can always find hundreds of people to come forward if you give it publicity.  What are needed to prove harm is the same that is needed to prove help -- double-blind studies.

Are you reading any of our post? Countries are banning this stuff for a reason. Poland recently added to the list of countries that banned GMOs.

The studies the FDA took were done by the SUPPLIER!. But i guess the studies were legit? High up Montaso people work in the FDA... This is not fear mongering its proven.

Edited by spartan max2, 26 April 2013 - 03:08 PM.

Criss Jami

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users