Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

MS Word Dictionary

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 6,165 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:37 PM

Has anyone ever encountered a full 'custom' dictionary in Microsoft Word? For as long as I've ever used Word, I've never reached any kind of limit, but the one I'm using here at work has reached its limit.

Earlier I was going through a document and noticed the red squiggly line under the words connection, to and system. For connection, the suggested replacement was conexion and for to it was too or to... among others. I didn't look at the suggestions for system. So I tried adding the words and I got a message that the dictionary was full. :unsure2: I looked under help to see if there was a way to remove some of the words from the dictionary that exists when Word is programmed, but the list was completely unpopulated. I manually added connection and system, but that didn't help.

Anyone have a clue what might be going on? A virus?

Oh and this is the first time this has happened.

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#2    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 12,314 posts

• - God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi -

"Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:47 PM

Version ?

That looks like its 'grammar' suggestions rather than 'spelling' suggestions ...

Are you working in a network environment ? Local quota on the server or local disk is maxed out ?

Do you use custom macros ?

He who postpones the hour of living rightly ... is like the rustic who waits for the river to run out ... before he crosses.
Horace - Roman lyric poet & satirist 65 BC - 8 BC
~

third_eye cavern ~ bring own beer

#3    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 6,165 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:53 PM

First question........... 2003 (don't laugh)

Red squiggly line generally indicates a spelling error; green squiggly indicates grammar.

Second question..... yes, but I'm the one primarily using Word. Everyone else is on AutoCAD all day.

Fourth question....... No.

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#4    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 12,314 posts

• - God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi -

"Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:21 PM

View PostKasey2601, on 25 April 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

First question........... 2003 (don't laugh)

Red squiggly line generally indicates a spelling error; green squiggly indicates grammar.

Second question..... yes, but I'm the one primarily using Word. Everyone else is on AutoCAD all day.

Fourth question....... No.

Okay ... not lauughing ...
Yes to red and green squiggly lines indicators but sometimes with all these 'skins' and 'themes' its best just to ask :)

Now ... AutoCAD network environment is notorious for not liking to share network resources, I don't believe this is a software related,
are you using anything that involves character encoding HTML XML files ? Multi Language settings ?

I don't use custom dictionaries so I can't say I'm familiar with your predicament but it doesn't seems to be a virus either unless its macros related.

If you edit a lot of files that is originally  formatted in a later version, the porting to earlier versions isn't all reliable, something to keep in mind.

He who postpones the hour of living rightly ... is like the rustic who waits for the river to run out ... before he crosses.
Horace - Roman lyric poet & satirist 65 BC - 8 BC
~

third_eye cavern ~ bring own beer

#5    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,821 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:14 AM

Could potentially be corrupted. If it shows to be empty while you're editing it, Then this may be the case. You will need to make a new custom dictionary.

If it claims to be full in the future simply open the dictionary file in a text editor and manually add them in that way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users