Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

How a big cat roamed Britain a century ago

canadian lynx alien big cat

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,046 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 28 April 2013 - 07:57 PM, said:

Exactly, it seems the team of scientists from four leading British universities have missed this.

Maybe they didn't miss it, but kept schtum in case they didn't qualify for more research grant money!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#17    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:38 AM

What's a moggie?

#18    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,046 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:39 PM

View PostLava_Lady, on 01 May 2013 - 03:38 AM, said:

What's a moggie?

A common or mixed-breed cat. It seems to be from Maggie, the affectionate short form of Margaret. In the eighteenth century, this was applied as a name for a cow or calf. In the nineteenth century it could refer to an untidily dressed woman or slattern. It was only in the twentieth century that it became a pet name for a cat. How or why the sense shifted in this way is not understood.

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#19    Starseed hybrid 1111

Starseed hybrid 1111

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 326 posts

• "Take the Red Matrix pill" be your own authentic self neo

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:44 PM

i like the name alien big cat plus it looks really awesome and cool as well.anyway they are fascinating animals to look at from the looks of it has anybody captured one yet to study it safely and not harming it or changing its dna because i know there some scientist that mess and alter nature which is wrong and not ethical.but i figure the best way to truly know any wild animal is not by putting it in c age or etc but by seeing in its natural habitat and see how it truly lives you know.

#20    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,808 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

View PostAndromedan Starseed 333, on 01 May 2013 - 08:44 PM, said:

i like the name alien big cat plus it looks really awesome and cool as well.anyway they are fascinating animals to look at from the looks of it has anybody captured one yet to study it safely and not harming it or changing its dna because i know there some scientist that mess and alter nature which is wrong and not ethical.but i figure the best way to truly know any wild animal is not by putting it in c age or etc but by seeing in its natural habitat and see how it truly lives you know.
Many sightings have been made in Dorset, they call them ABC for short.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#21    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:25 PM

I wonder if the Romans brought wild animals to Briton during their conquest and released them upon leaving? It is unlikely any would have survived to the modern era.

#22    Ad hoc

Ad hoc

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 158 posts

• A man's worth is no greater than his ambitions.

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:04 PM

Hmm. Escapees sure, but I doubt that they have been breeding all these years. If that was the case, In a place like the England, with little woodland and limited prey, they'd be pushing up against humans and their livestock in no time, and attacks would be regular. I think if there was an established breeding population, there would be no doubt about their presence.

#23    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,808 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:32 PM

View PostAd hoc, on 29 May 2013 - 04:04 PM, said:

Hmm. Escapees sure, but I doubt that they have been breeding all these years. If that was the case, In a place like the England, with little woodland and limited prey, they'd be pushing up against humans and their livestock in no time, and attacks would be regular. I think if there was an established breeding population, there would be no doubt about their presence.
Most sightings are in Dorset and there is plenty of woodland and wildlife round there. But I would image many are a  case of people letting loose their exotic pets and in some case of sightings  is not a big cat at all.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users