Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

How little money can a person live on?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1    MoorWalks

MoorWalks

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:59 AM

There's been weeks of debate over how much money benefits claimants should receive. But just how little money can someone realistically get by on?

The government says no family on benefits should receive more than the £26,000 - after tax - the average family earns.

A benefits cap estimated at £350 a week for a single adult and £500 a week for a couple or single parent - regardless of how many children they have - is being piloted in four areas of London. From July it will be rolled out across England, Scotland and Wales.

View: Read more

Posted Image

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,677 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:08 PM

It all depends on where you live and how you live.
Living in the town is always going to cost a lot more, what with council tax and all the other charges the government enforce. My cost of living is very low, I do not claim benefits and use solar power, logs burners, have free internet and my husband works online. We do not want the luxuries of 5 t.v`s, American fridge freezers and t.v licenses.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#3    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

YAY let's crucify the poor and unemployed.

I got a really "out there idea" why don't we discuss how much members of the government get in pay and benefits and see how much they could live on and give them the appropriate wage and tax. Also while we are at it, we can discuss their offshore bank accounts and how much tax they dodge.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#4    MoorWalks

MoorWalks

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

View PostCoffey, on 26 April 2013 - 12:24 PM, said:

YAY let's crucify the poor and unemployed.

I got a really "out there idea" why don't we discuss how much members of the government get in pay and benefits and see how much they could live on and give them the appropriate wage and tax. Also while we are at it, we can discuss their offshore bank accounts and how much tax they dodge.

Do you mean things like this:  MP Jim McGovern's battle to put £24 train fare on expenses lands taxpayers with £27,000 legal bill

Posted Image

#5    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

View Postxsas, on 26 April 2013 - 12:32 PM, said:

Haha, that's ridicules. I don't know why we let them get away with this sort of ***. He should be fined for the 27k.

Edited by Coffey, 26 April 2013 - 12:53 PM.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#6    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,115 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:56 PM

There is something basically wrong with the idea of a government giving people money to live on.  It distorts the politics of a country, tends to create a class of dependent people, messes all hell with the labor structure and economy, and raises the tax burden.

Yet what are you gonna do?

#7    ali smack

ali smack

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

• If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:15 AM

Benefits is pittance. I wonder why the government don't discuss the wealthy pensioners getting money thrown at them that they don't need.Or the fatcats that have obscene wages.
Or the scrounging royals? Oh I didn't think so. There to busy picking on the poor, disabled and youth

#8    Walter White

Walter White

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Location:United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

• "He will regret it but once, and that will be continuously." - J.E.B. Stuart

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:06 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 26 April 2013 - 12:56 PM, said:

There is something basically wrong with the idea of a government giving people money to live on.  It distorts the politics of a country, tends to create a class of dependent people, messes all hell with the labor structure and economy, and raises the tax burden.

Yet what are you gonna do?
You do know most people (like myself) who are claiming their benefits are not being given money, they are claiming back what they have paid in National Insurance Contributions over many years.

I'm getting sick and tired of this view that I am getting something for nothing, when in my case the reality is completely different.  From the age of 16 up until March of this year I have been in constant employment.  That's 11 years worth on NI Contributions that i have accrued.  Contributions I have never claimed for.  

Now, for the first time in my life I'm out of work, and I am well within my rights to claim a bit of that money back to help me whilst i find another job.

Not everyone is a ******* scrounger!!

Edited by Walter White, 27 April 2013 - 01:08 PM.

"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union.  It would be an accumulation of all the evils we complain of, and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for it's preservation." - General Robert E. Lee

"I think I understand what military fame is; to be killed on the field of battle and have your name misspelled in the newspapers." - Major General William Tecumseh Sherman

#9    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,677 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:15 PM

View PostWalter White, on 27 April 2013 - 01:06 PM, said:

You do know most people (like myself) who are claiming their benefits are not being given money, they are claiming back what they have paid in National Insurance Contributions over many years.

I'm getting sick and tired of this view that I am getting something for nothing, when in my case the reality is completely different.  From the age of 16 up until March of this year I have been in constant employment.  That's 11 years worth on NI Contributions that i have accrued.  Contributions I have never claimed for.  

Now, for the first time in my life I'm out of work, and I am well within my rights to claim a bit of that money back to help me whilst i find another job.

This is what riles me, there are many in your situation and everyone claiming seems to be placed in the same category. If you have worked and paid into the system then darn right you are entitled to claim in times of need.
It is heartbreaking when people you know lose their jobs and even worse when they are made to look like scroungers because they want some of the money they have paid over the years back to help them.
Our governments use our money to pay for themselves and their luxuries and for others who have never paid into the system, let alone the aid they send abroad, and yet when a real worker and genuine person has fallen on hard times, they are made to look like the scrounger!
I wish you well and it would please me to know that my hard earned tax money along with yours will help you at this time.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#10    Walter White

Walter White

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Location:United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

• "He will regret it but once, and that will be continuously." - J.E.B. Stuart

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 27 April 2013 - 02:15 PM, said:

This is what riles me, there are many in your situation and everyone claiming seems to be placed in the same category. If you have worked and paid into the system then darn right you are entitled to claim in times of need.
It is heartbreaking when people you know lose their jobs and even worse when they are made to look like scroungers because they want some of the money they have paid over the years back to help them.
Our governments use our money to pay for themselves and their luxuries and for others who have never paid into the system, let alone the aid they send abroad, and yet when a real worker and genuine person has fallen on hard times, they are made to look like the scrounger!
I wish you well and it would please me to know that my hard earned tax money along with yours will help you at this time.
Thank you kindly.

It's horrible being unemployed, there is absolutely nothing positive about it.  In a paradoxical way I can't get negative about it though, there are jobs out there and there's no reason why I can't do the majority of them.

"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union.  It would be an accumulation of all the evils we complain of, and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for it's preservation." - General Robert E. Lee

"I think I understand what military fame is; to be killed on the field of battle and have your name misspelled in the newspapers." - Major General William Tecumseh Sherman

#11    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,677 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:21 PM

View PostWalter White, on 28 April 2013 - 02:03 PM, said:

Thank you kindly.

It's horrible being unemployed, there is absolutely nothing positive about it.  In a paradoxical way I can't get negative about it though, there are jobs out there and there's no reason why I can't do the majority of them.
I so wish you the best, but something tells me your determination will get you through. My husband lost his trucking business a few years back, it could have broken him mentally but we looked  at the situation and in the end set up an online business which is now doing well, he took whatever lorry job he could at first to build up funds and never saw it as  a step down, it was a step towards the next step, it worked.
You got too much going for you not to find something, the lucky employer will find you one day.

#12    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,409 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:04 PM

View PostWalter White, on 27 April 2013 - 01:06 PM, said:

I think when people discuss benefits its not the deserving like yourself who has worked and paid into the system. its the scroungers out their who have never worked and have no intention of working. but like i've said in your case the benefits system is working as it should, as intended.

the argument is there should be no lifestyle choice to make when it comes to claiming benefits for decades. no one can defend anyone who is able to work and has not done for an extended period of time. The Government because the issue is so politically hot, they cannot target the long term useless without collateral damage.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#13    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,766 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:11 PM

Q. How do you make a small fortune?
A. Start with a big fortune and run a farm!

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#14    regeneratia

regeneratia

Government Agent

• 3,833 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

• It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

View Postxsas, on 26 April 2013 - 10:59 AM, said:

View: Read more

I think the money that a family can live on is fairly minimal, if they had to.

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema
(quote from THE BIBLE FRAUD)

Robert Heinlein: SECRECY IS THE HALLMARK OF TYRANNY!

#15    ali smack

ali smack

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

• If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

I claim benefits as well and it's horrible.I hardly have enough money to even eat.
I just can't stand it when you get these idiots who say were all scroungers!
If you look for work and apply for jobs like I do every day your not a scrounger.
It's just very difficult to find a job,especially if you live in a crap hole like me!
As i've said before in my earlier post, the gov should go after the scrounging royals. living of our money. They should also go after the fat cats with their inflated wages. And the super wealthy pensioners who don't need winter fuel allowance, like Peter Stringfellow!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users