Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Embarrassing Music You Enjoy

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#16    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Poltergeist

• 2,516 posts

• Mysteries are tomorrow's histories.

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:25 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 27 April 2013 - 04:22 AM, said:

Safety Dance by Men Without Hats. It's just so upbeat.

I have mixed feelings about that song. I worked with a guy who always sang along with it, and he wasn't the best singer in the world.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#17    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Poltergeist

• 2,516 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:29 AM

View PostOdd Requiem, on 27 April 2013 - 04:28 AM, said:

I can sing along with Kelly Clarkson like there's no tomorrow.
Which would be fine, if I were a female.

She's still my fav' Idol. I almost asked my niece to buy her greatest hits CD for me. I would be embarrassed to buy it since I'm "supposed to" listen to hard rock and heavy metal, not pop. My old school friends likely would laugh at some of my CDs,

#18    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Poltergeist

• 2,516 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:32 AM

View PostOdin11, on 27 April 2013 - 04:28 AM, said:

Whoa Whoa Whoa...  There is nothing "uncool" about Billy Joel. lol

I also like a few Katy Perry songs, and some Lady Gaga songs.

Thanks. I share your guilty pleasures of Katy Perry and Lady Gaga. Eh, a catchy tune is a catchy tune. I have CDs by both of those singers, which I keep hidden in a vault. :D

#19    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Poltergeist

• 2,516 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:34 AM

View Post_Only, on 27 April 2013 - 05:09 AM, said:

Also, Shakira songs.

I enjoy *looking* at her on "The Voice". She's the epitome of cute, and she has a genius IQ, to boot.

#20    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Poltergeist

• 2,516 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:36 AM

View PostChrlzs, on 27 April 2013 - 06:17 AM, said:

I think we have way too much music snobbery these days..  It's all good, I reckon.. well, almost..  even some hiphop and rap (but not too much..) :D

And OK, I might not buy their albums, but I'll still tap a foot to Billy Ray Cyrus or Michael Bolton at their chintziest, even Celine Dion...

But I think I'll hypocritically draw the line at Bieber... :td:

I draw the line there too. I'll listen to some songs by those other singers, though. I'm not a big fan of rap, but I have three or four rap CDs. Most of them are compilations.

#21    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Poltergeist

• 2,516 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:40 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 27 April 2013 - 07:06 AM, said:

Sousa marches and Strauss waltzes.  Moderns think it smaltzy, and the real classical music buffs think nothing good was written after Mozart (some don't even credit Bach).

Classical is beautiful, eternal food for the soul. Some of the pieces can transport you to a place that transcends the troubles and worries of the moment. A few songs can make you weep. On the other hand, some pieces can put you to sleep.

#22    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Poltergeist

• 2,516 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:42 AM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 27 April 2013 - 07:29 AM, said:

I've got a Yotube playlist of all my 80's favourites, most of which, no doubt, would appear on some people's list of Embarrassing music.

I likely would enjoy your playlist, as long as Toni Basil's "Mickey" isn't on it. That's an embarrassing song that I *don't* like.

#23    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Poltergeist

• 2,516 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:43 AM

View PostRoddy, on 27 April 2013 - 07:33 PM, said:

I actually enjoy listening to Debbie Gibson and Marie Osmond.

They both look great for their age. The latter shows what a Mormon diet can do for you.

#24    Roddy

Roddy

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

• The Truth is out there.

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:15 PM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 28 April 2013 - 02:43 AM, said:

They both look great for their age. The latter shows what a Mormon diet can do for you.

HaHaHa, so true. :tu:

#25    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,974 posts

• Paranoid Android... One Mippippi, two Mippippi, three Mippipi....

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:34 AM

Ancient embarrassment - I'm not sure whether admitting to enjoying Classical Music is embarrassing, but I do enjoy listening to a good symphony (as long as it isn't that electronically piped crud they play while you're on hold with the bank!

Not-so-ancient-but-still-old embarrassment - I admit to the golden oldies of the 50's and 60's being enjoyable.  The Monkees, Buddy Holly, Beach Boys, The Carpenters, that kind of thing.

Modern embarrassment - if you've seen my post in the "what bands have you seen" thread, you'll note that I've been to the likes of Fear Factory, Cradle of Filth, Prodigy, and Infected Mushroom.  It is for this reason that I somewhat embarrassingly state that I am a hardcore fan of the artist named Jewel.

Seasonal embarrassment - it's not cool to admit to enjoying Christmas carols, but Christmas is my favourite holiday of the year primarily because we get to listen to Christmas carols and sing along to them.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#26    Rocketgirl

Rocketgirl

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

• "I envy the dead for they do not have to see how the world is changing for the worst."
    -Rocketgirl

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:38 AM

I like listening to Rebecca Black's song Friday. I know a lot of people hate it,but I find the beat catchy.

"I envy the dead for they do not have to see how the world is changing for the worst."
-Rocketgirl

"Try to change the world for the better, if you fail keep trying. Always aim for that impact of change in a positive way."
-Rocketgirl

#27    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 3,246 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:41 AM

View PostRocketgirl, on 29 April 2013 - 06:38 AM, said:

I like listening to Rebecca Black's song Friday. I know a lot of people hate it,but I find the beat catchy.

Rocketgirl, I salute you!!  That was a brave admission..  :D

All my posts about Apollo are dedicated to the memory of MID - who knew, lived and was an integral part of, Apollo.

"Like the JFK assassination conspiracy theories, the UFO issue probably will not go away soon, no matter what the CIA does or says. The belief that we are not alone in the universe is too emotionally appealing and the distrust of our government is too pervasive to make the issue amenable to traditional scientific studies or rational explanation and evidence." - Gerald K Haines

#28    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,402 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:51 AM

The point above of whether loving Classical music should be embarrassing is interesting.  I just find that I like it naturally and don't like most of the stuff of later times (except the stuff that gets labeled "classical.")  The thing I dislike the most is music that goes "thump, thump, thump, including the efforts to popularized classical music).  Still, I like marches -- I think because the thumping is not so tiresome.

Really early classical music (prior to, say, Handel), kinda leaves me behind too, and I hate it when they try to be so accurate and use the antique, harsh-sounding instruments.  I like operatic music, but only in excerpts, not to sit through them.

Almost no one in Vietnam understands my taste, and they think me pretentious (no doubt a bit true).  They all like what is called "bubble-gum" music -- very simple melodies about love and romance and flowers and spring and such things, and they all admit that it is like bubble gum, but don't see anything wrong with that.

#29    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:39 PM

Alice Deejay's "Your Not Alone". I danced like a loon to it in the early 2000's.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#30    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,119 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:54 PM

I don't know how embarrassing it is, but I also like classical music, which is my favorite kind of music. I also like blues,  jazz, big band and some opera arias, early jazz (Louie Armstrong, King Oliver), Scott Joplin, ethnic folk music... I'm not embarrassed at all about all this.

I also like some silly songs that would probably embarrass some of the younger folk. I think most popular music of the last ten or so (maybe twenty) years is pretty embarrassing.

It is not an embarrassment to like this song, for instance. (If Youtube will let it play.)

Edited by StarMountainKid, 29 April 2013 - 08:56 PM.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users