Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

anyone believe levitation possible?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1    marina1980

marina1980

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:21 AM

Hi.
Anyone have any good reason to strongly believe levitation is possible? I read a very convincing book but not sure all the hard work involved would ever pay off. Any thoughts?
(Not sure if this thread is in the right place!?)
Thanx

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Knight of Sarcasm

• 8,762 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:55 AM

well I've always thought that the trick with flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

#3    marina1980

marina1980

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:26 AM

Lol! Will try that!

#4    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

5:55

• 3,159 posts

• No two caterpillars share the same cocoon.

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:10 AM

My friend told me of a guy who could do it willfully. I forgot to ask if she saw this or if he just told her that.. if its possible thats cool and all but seems useless. Flying would be way better ;)

Edited by SpiritWriter, 28 April 2013 - 07:11 AM.

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#5    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,146 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:40 AM

I believe levitation is possible, though I've never seen it.

#6    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 6,664 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

Magnetic levitation, maglev, or magnetic suspension is a method by which an object is suspended with no support other than magnetic fields. Magnetic pressure is used to counteract the effects of the gravitational and any other accelerations.
Earnshaw's theorem proves that using only ferromagnetic or paramagnetic materials it is impossible to stably levitate against gravity, but servomechanisms, the use of diamagnetic materials, superconduction, or systems involving eddy currents permit this to occur.
In some cases the lifting force is provided by magnetic levitation, but there is a mechanical support bearing little load that provides stability. This is termed pseudo-levitation.
Magnetic levitation is used for maglev trains, magnetic bearings and for product display purposes.

wiki link

this is as best we can do now ...
Posted Image
A live frog levitates inside the Ø32mm vertical bore of a Bitter solenoid in a magnetic field of about 16 tesla at the Nijmegen High Field Magnet Laboratory

Posted Image

Students from the Parisian Diderot University demonstrated MagSurf – the World’s First Hoverboard, at its recently held science fair. The Hoverboard was built by the researchers in the Materials and Quantum Phenomena Laboratory on the university campus. The students employed the power of quantum levitation by transforming a chemically inactive wafer into a fully functional hoverboard using some superconductors and liquid nitrogen. The MagSurf rides a couple of inches off the ground, in a straight line, without changing its altitude. It travels only on a predetermined course, and the flux tubes that maintain a barely neutral magnetic field allow it to skillfully glide above the air.
link

The knower and the known are one. Simple people imagine that they should see God, as if He stood there and they here. This is not so. God and I, we are one in knowledge. ~ Eckhart

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#7    marina1980

marina1980

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:48 PM

Some awesome info there! Anyone read levitation by Steve Richards?

#8    scowl

scowl

Photographic Phraud

• 3,451 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:00 AM

If levitation is possible, then someone better inform James Randi to get his million dollars ready for whoever demonstrates it for him.

#9    DingoLingo

DingoLingo

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:07 AM

Wearer of Hats, on 28 April 2013 - 05:55 AM, said:

well I've always thought that the trick with flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Ahh Douglas Adams ..

#10    DingoLingo

DingoLingo

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:09 AM

Levitation by will power or something similar.. no.. there is no proof anywhere that has shown it is possible..

Levitation by technology .. yes.. in the future..

#11    mystic_mind

mystic_mind

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:41 AM

I levitate every time I eat too much beans.

#12    Lumpino

Lumpino

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:50 AM

Levitation is possible I think. By opening the heart chakra.. See Hindu tantric yoga texts.

#13    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,051 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:46 AM

As post #12, I've seen similar to this involving a Shaolin Monk,he seemed to be about 3 inches from the ground with no visible means of support,no one could work out how it happened,and also an Indian guy doing the rope trick,he made a coil of rope stand atraight up in the air ,with no support, then played around with a Cobra making it sway to music.There are many things with no explanation,or maybe it was mass hypnotism ?

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#14    marina1980

marina1980

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:12 PM

According to Steve Richards and a few others, it's possible but takes years of dedication and hours of practise every day. Well now ive lost my job maybe I'll give it a try. A million makes it worthwhile!

#15    mystic_mind

mystic_mind

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:28 AM

This looks bogus to me, put on by the magician and the monk. If you compare the position where he sits down to the one where he starts to levitate you will notice that they are different. He is farther away from the candles in front of him and much closer to that wall or curtain (which is presumably hiding something). Also the camera man doesn't show directly behind his back when he was in the air like he did when you first saw him sit down. There was a good space of a foot or so originally between him and the curtain. The camera man didn't show that when he was levitating...mainly because there was trickery going on.

Never trust a magician.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users