Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Orb

orbs

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,802 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:14 PM

View PostHeaven Is A Halfpipe, on 09 May 2013 - 07:50 PM, said:

As much as some skeptics would like to, you can't paint every picture with the same brush of paint. I've seen plenty of different colour flashes of light around me from time to time. I have a clean bill of health for my eyes, it should be noted.

Who knows what they are...your sprinkles of salt maybe? :whistle:
We get the same claim here on a regular basis from various posters - x% of orbs in photos cannot be explained as dust or other particles light up by a flash (or other light source) and close to the lens and out of focus.

When asked for further information on how they know what, we generally get silence.  Or snide comments as per your "Don't waste your time Hilander, all hail the knowing ones" above.

Positive claims about supernatural orb backed up by silence or sarcasm.  Why is that?

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

"If people put enough excrement in one pile they think they can safely claim that there must be something other than excrement in a pile that big." - stereologist

#17    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:38 PM

Oh don't make me laugh with snide comments! All I see on this forum is supposed skeptics making snide comments at the expense of others. Though, I did forget we're not allowed that two ways...

I think you missed the point, really...let's just forget about photographs. Let's talk seeing "orbs" or lights with the naked eye. Going by your response, we're ruling out your sprinkled salt. Could you please bestow to me what is happening? If it helps, they tend to be red or electric blue in colour.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#18    Mekelyn

Mekelyn

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:48 PM

View PostMurk, on 28 April 2013 - 11:00 AM, said:

Hey,

Caught an interesting orb at my local pub last week. I'm certain it's a lens refraction from the light but thought I'd post it anyway :)

And yes, I had been drinking!

Posted Image

MURK!
Look at what you started. ;)

Can't see your "orb" but I DO appreciate that you clearly stated that you were certain that it was a "lens refraction from the light".
It saved me the trouble of pointing out dust and beer goggles.

#19    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,802 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:25 PM

View PostHeaven Is A Halfpipe, on 09 May 2013 - 08:38 PM, said:

All I see on this forum is supposed skeptics making snide comments at the expense of others.
There was nothing unreasonable or unwarranted in the replies to Hilander's post before you interjected with your sarky comment about "the all knowing ones".  

Let's talk seeing "orbs" or lights with the naked eye. Going by your response, we're ruling out your sprinkled salt. Could you please bestow to me what is happening?
No, I can't.  I generally avoid commenting on others eye-witness testimony unless it's on a subject I'm familiar with. I can't speak to others testimony on orbs seen with the naked eye so I don't.

Can anyone bestow to us what is happening?  We've heard explanations of orbs from ghosts of the departed to the holy spirit to balls of 'energy' to inter-dimensional beings to other things I can't remember off the top of my head.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

"If people put enough excrement in one pile they think they can safely claim that there must be something other than excrement in a pile that big." - stereologist

#20    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:31 PM

Don't worry, you're not the only person here who doesn't like the way I address some things/people :w00t: just passing on how I've been treated by some here.. not you specifically.

What I'm saying is I think it's unfair for some people to literally go the point of taking the absolute p*** out of some people and what they believe they've captured. Skeptical analysis is one thing, tearing apart character is another.

I have only ever seen orbs or lights when I've been haunted, or feel I have been, so I associate them with the spirit world. That's my prerogative to believe that but I'm more than open to earthly explanations. Take a picture of me and throw red and blue confetti around me, then that would be the equivalent of your salt photo.

Edited by Heaven Is A Halfpipe, 09 May 2013 - 09:32 PM.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

#21    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

Overlord of Delgon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:54 PM

I see snide comments here from Believers...

In respect of seeing BOLs with the naked eye, if you care to search orb topics you will see I have posted the following several times - it invariably gets ignored by the Believers:
Over the last 30+ years I have sporadically seen what I have perceived to be small self-illuminated balls of light (deliberately avoiding referring to orbs...), invariably either red or blue in color, and between 1cm to 5cm in size.  I have seen these while conducting night photography research during which I have been capturing the mundane particulates orbs illuminated by the camera.
In contrast to the camera-illuminated particulate orbs which are obviously visible to the eye during the time of camera exposure/flash, not once have I been able to capture one of these apparently self-illuminated balls of light on camera - either film or digital media.  As a researcher that raises a significant alarm, as it does make me question whether these balls of light actually exist in front of my eyes at all, or whether they are some sort of artefact like phosphenes, or indeed some defect, in either the eye or the optic nerve.  
So yes I have regularly perceived something strange, but the lack of corroborating evidence by recording means does suggest that they are probably an artefact in the eye/optic nerve.

Who is the skeptic: the realist who won't accept belief, or the believer who won't accept reality?

#22    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:01 PM

View PostOppono Astos, on 09 May 2013 - 09:54 PM, said:

I see snide comments here from Believers...

In respect of seeing BOLs with the naked eye, if you care to search orb topics you will see I have posted the following several times - it invariably gets ignored by the Believers:
Over the last 30+ years I have sporadically seen what I have perceived to be small self-illuminated balls of light (deliberately avoiding referring to orbs...), invariably either red or blue in color, and between 1cm to 5cm in size.  I have seen these while conducting night photography research during which I have been capturing the mundane particulates orbs illuminated by the camera.
In contrast to the camera-illuminated particulate orbs which are obviously visible to the eye during the time of camera exposure/flash, not once have I been able to capture one of these apparently self-illuminated balls of light on camera - either film or digital media.  As a researcher that raises a significant alarm, as it does make me question whether these balls of light actually exist in front of my eyes at all, or whether they are some sort of artefact like phosphenes, or indeed some defect, in either the eye or the optic nerve.  
So yes I have regularly perceived something strange, but the lack of corroborating evidence by recording means does suggest that they are probably an artefact in the eye/optic nerve.

With due respect, I did say I have had my eyes thoroughly checked over. In fact, seeing these lights (and other things) is what prompted me to want to rule out a medical problem. Contrast to you, I mainly see them during the day rather than in the dark. Not seen one for a while (not since I moved really).

#23    Amalthe

Amalthe

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:51 AM

If considering theoretical mathematics, orb would be a first form of section between 4 dimensonal object and 3 Dim. space, just as dot is a first form of section between 3D object and 2 D area. But since orbs on photos are so easily created with bright flash reflecting on some particles, it is almost impossible to prove some "presence" only based on orbs captured on photographs, especially since photos are just 2D image of 3D space, and hence, deprived of one dimension.. However, due to nature of photo, it would be very hard to explain image of several orbs that are placed at unequal distance from camera as some light reflecting particles, and i have seen such strange images.

#24    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,802 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:03 PM

View PostAmalthe, on 10 May 2013 - 08:51 AM, said:

However, due to nature of photo, it would be very hard to explain image of several orbs that are placed at unequal distance from camera as some light reflecting particles, and i have seen such strange images.
Example?

Here's a photo of some snow.  The 'orbs' in this case are at various distances from the camera yet show up fine.  What is hard to explain about it?

Posted Image

Edited by Archimedes, 13 May 2013 - 01:04 PM.

#25    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,381 posts

• ~*★*~Engine of destruction~*★*~

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:56 PM

^^^  I've got loads of those. :yes:

#26    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,486 posts

• I prefer to know, not just to believe.

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:40 AM

Orbs are silly.... and the people "defending" them are just plain ingnorant.

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

Also tagged with orbs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users