Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Orb

Paradoxum

Hey,

Caught an interesting orb at my local pub last week. I'm certain it's a lens refraction from the light but thought I'd post it anyway :)

And yes, I had been drinking!

Orb.jpg

Edited by Murk
  • Like 1

Ill just copy hazzards post about Orbs from an earlier thread and leave it at that......

Jesus H Christ, people!!

There is nothing paranormal about so called orbs. Orbs (like Rods) are photographic artifacts – specifically bits of airborne dust, water droplets, snow, insects etc, caught in the flash of a camera. With the introduction of the digital flash camera they are so common that most Ghost hunters have lost interest in them. They know what they are.

Some causes of photographic artifacts are listed below, none of them paranormal.

• Dust on the lens.
  • Dirt in the camera.
  • Internal reflections in the lens structure, also known as "lens flare".
  • Deliberate multiple exposures.
  • Objects very close to lens.
  • Poor quality digital cameras.
  • Poor quality optics.
  • Deliberate digital editing of photographs.
  • Flash reflections from shiny objects in the room.
  • Contamination during processing of conventional film.
  • Contamination during printing of conventional prints.
  • Scanner anomalies.
  • Dust on the scanner glass.
  • Bad or outdated film.

Example images here - http://en.wikipedia....ki/Orb_(optics)

Orbs Explained http://pyrrho.s5.com/orbs.html

• Like 2

I'm sure there is a logical reason for 99% of orbs but the other 1%?????????

I've yet to see any that fall into the 1% you're referring too.

• Like 2

I think it's the first time I've caught one on camera. I'll go back next weekend and try and take some more to see if I can re-create it. Oh and drink a few beers as well while I'm there... ;)

I think it's the first time I've caught one on camera. I'll go back next weekend and try and take some more to see if I can re-create it. Oh and drink a few beers as well while I'm there... ;)

I can go out right now, have a beer and take a couple of pictures of orbs,... its raining.

• Like 1

I can go out right now, have a beer and take a couple of pictures of orbs,... its raining.

Hehe, that sounds like a good plan ;)

What makes you think there's a 1% that has no logical explanation?

There's a strange fallacy a lot of people employ whereby they claim that 99% (or another figure pulled out of thin air) of phenomenon X can be explained but that surely not ALL of X have mundane everyday explanations.

That's like me asking how skyscrapers are built, and being provided with blueprints, interviews with construction workers and architects be who worked on skyscrapers, video footage and photos taking construction of skyscrapers and then declaring "Sure 99% of skyscrapers can be explained as being human built, but that can't surely be the explanation for ALL of them, can it? There's 1% of skyscrapers that can't be logically explained, therefore [insert fringe theory of choice here]"

It just doesn't make any sense unless you can provide an actual reason for why some of the orb photos we regularly see have no "logical explanation"?

• Like 2

Activate the flash on your camera, sprinkle salt in from of the lens. Take photo. Hey presto, orbs!

Here's one I prepared earlier:

dsc0039n.jpg

• Like 2

Don't waste your time Hilander, all hail the all knowing ones :whistle:

Yes, don't waste your time explaining yourself.

Just make the same unjustified assertions as others do about how some x% of orbs cannot be explained via everyday phenomena.

Why would anyone want an explanation or want to explain to others just how they know that some % of orbs are beyond explanation or are paranormal?

Explanations are so passé. :rolleyes:

Edited by Archimedes
  • Like 1

Activate the flash on your camera, sprinkle salt in from of the lens. Take photo. Hey presto, orbs!

Here's one I prepared earlier:

dsc0039n.jpg

Haha cool :) Although doesn't look like the one I caught. Probably due to the light reflecting in my camera lens rather than salt.

And what is that on the right of your picture? Looks like a halloween pumpkin!

My dad has had a couple of experiences in his life of seeing a blueish orb and with a second witness once. I thinks orbs are a very peculiar topic.

• 2 weeks later...

i like the idea, but i dont think there anymore then trick of the light.

i may be mistaken mind..

As much as some skeptics would like to, you can't paint every picture with the same brush of paint. I've seen plenty of different colour flashes of light around me from time to time. I have a clean bill of health for my eyes, it should be noted.

Who knows what they are...your sprinkles of salt maybe? :whistle:

We get the same claim here on a regular basis from various posters - x% of orbs in photos cannot be explained as dust or other particles light up by a flash (or other light source) and close to the lens and out of focus.

When asked for further information on how they know what, we generally get silence. Or snide comments as per your "Don't waste your time Hilander, all hail the knowing ones" above.

Positive claims about supernatural orb backed up by silence or sarcasm. Why is that?

• Like 2

Hey,

Caught an interesting orb at my local pub last week. I'm certain it's a lens refraction from the light but thought I'd post it anyway :)

And yes, I had been drinking!

Orb.jpg

MURK!

Look at what you started. ;)

Can't see your "orb" but I DO appreciate that you clearly stated that you were certain that it was a "lens refraction from the light".

It saved me the trouble of pointing out dust and beer goggles.

All I see on this forum is supposed skeptics making snide comments at the expense of others.
There was nothing unreasonable or unwarranted in the replies to Hilander's post before you interjected with your sarky comment about "the all knowing ones".
Let's talk seeing "orbs" or lights with the naked eye. Going by your response, we're ruling out your sprinkled salt. Could you please bestow to me what is happening?
No, I can't. I generally avoid commenting on others eye-witness testimony unless it's on a subject I'm familiar with. I can't speak to others testimony on orbs seen with the naked eye so I don't.

Can anyone bestow to us what is happening? We've heard explanations of orbs from ghosts of the departed to the holy spirit to balls of 'energy' to inter-dimensional beings to other things I can't remember off the top of my head.

• Like 1

I see snide comments here from Believers...

In respect of seeing BOLs with the naked eye, if you care to search orb topics you will see I have posted the following several times - it invariably gets ignored by the Believers:

Over the last 30+ years I have sporadically seen what I have perceived to be small self-illuminated balls of light (deliberately avoiding referring to orbs...), invariably either red or blue in color, and between 1cm to 5cm in size. I have seen these while conducting night photography research during which I have been capturing the mundane particulates orbs illuminated by the camera.

In contrast to the camera-illuminated particulate orbs which are obviously visible to the eye during the time of camera exposure/flash, not once have I been able to capture one of these apparently self-illuminated balls of light on camera - either film or digital media. As a researcher that raises a significant alarm, as it does make me question whether these balls of light actually exist in front of my eyes at all, or whether they are some sort of artefact like phosphenes, or indeed some defect, in either the eye or the optic nerve.

So yes I have regularly perceived something strange, but the lack of corroborating evidence by recording means does suggest that they are probably an artefact in the eye/optic nerve.

If considering theoretical mathematics, orb would be a first form of section between 4 dimensonal object and 3 Dim. space, just as dot is a first form of section between 3D object and 2 D area. But since orbs on photos are so easily created with bright flash reflecting on some particles, it is almost impossible to prove some "presence" only based on orbs captured on photographs, especially since photos are just 2D image of 3D space, and hence, deprived of one dimension.. However, due to nature of photo, it would be very hard to explain image of several orbs that are placed at unequal distance from camera as some light reflecting particles, and i have seen such strange images.

However, due to nature of photo, it would be very hard to explain image of several orbs that are placed at unequal distance from camera as some light reflecting particles, and i have seen such strange images.

Example?

Here's a photo of some snow. The 'orbs' in this case are at various distances from the camera yet show up fine. What is hard to explain about it?

dsc0184tu.jpg

Edited by Archimedes
  • Like 2

^^^ I've got loads of those. :yes:

• 6 months later...