Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Scientists design ‘health and safety’ cow

cow horns dairy breed holsteins health and safety

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,078 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

Researchers are using gene-editing techniques to insert a DNA patch into the genome of Holsteins, Britain's foremost dairy breed, to suppress horn growth.

The extra DNA has been taken from other breeds of cattle to create a dairy cow that is identical in every respect to existing livestock but without the horns.

Preventing horn growth would eliminate the need for many farmers to burn off the horn buds of calves in what is a difficult and intensely painful procedure for the animals.

http://www.telegraph...h-no-horns.html

Posted Image

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,810 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:36 PM

I hope it works well and stops the pain to the cows, this would be good, but I also hope its not another mutant experiment which will only tell us the true results after time and possibly another generation.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#3    sergeantflynn

sergeantflynn

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 165 posts

• WHY WORRY ?

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

Put the udders on their head while they`re at it . Save the farmer from bending down .

#4    YukiEsmaElite0

YukiEsmaElite0

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 162 posts

• "If we were blind and had no choice, would we hate each other by the tone of our voice?" - Anthrax, Schism

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:56 PM

I see it odd that people are concerned with removing the horns when they're just gonna kill the animal anyway. Seems like they  could put effort into something else like cancer research. If you think this is a god idea that's fine, I just think it's kinda pointless...

#5    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Brick by brick

• 4,977 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:07 PM

The cows we see today are already modified through breeding so this is just the next step and there will be more to come in the future. I think it is the first time changes have been introduced for Health and Safety reasons though...

Once the scientists have produce the perfect cow they are sure to milk it for all its worth. ;)

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

#6    Farmerboy

Farmerboy

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

View PostYukiEsmaElite0, on 29 April 2013 - 12:56 PM, said:

I see it odd that people are concerned with removing the horns when they're just gonna kill the animal anyway. Seems like they  could put effort into something else like cancer research. If you think this is a god idea that's fine, I just think it's kinda pointless...

These are dairy cattle, the cows won't be killed yet.

I think they could have done this much more easily by breeding with a polled breed. I have done this myself, I introduced a polled (hornless) dairy shorthorn into my herd and now I have a large proportion of my herd naturally hornless as the polled trait is dominant... Its also nice because all the cows are blue now :lol:

#7    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,810 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:35 PM

View PostYukiEsmaElite0, on 29 April 2013 - 12:56 PM, said:

Deleted, already mentioned by Farmer boy...dairy cows. :tu:

Edited by freetoroam, 29 April 2013 - 01:36 PM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#8    Assassin Spider

Assassin Spider

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

"Health and Safety Cow" sounds like a school program mascot.

#9    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

Exactly, Farmerboy.  Breeding with 100% homozygous polled Holstein bulls means lots and lots of naturally polled offspring.  Why mess with the DNA?

#10    Technocrat

Technocrat

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

• "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog." Anon.

"Art is what you can get away with." Andy Warhol.

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:40 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if we all sprout horns after drinking the milk from these animals!

#11    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,810 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

View PostMrSerendipity, on 29 April 2013 - 07:40 PM, said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we all sprout horns after drinking the milk from these animals!
Its got to make you wonder:
Posted Image

#12    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:21 AM

Do the safety cow.

#13    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:24 AM

Odd.

#14    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,659 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

If a cow wants to hurt you they don't need horns, they can stomp you to death no problem, but it is a good idea though. Sometimes they nail you accidentally with those horns. If you treat them well they can be a friendly critter, but make them mad they will kill you when they get the chance.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#15    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,659 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

View PostFarmerboy, on 29 April 2013 - 01:16 PM, said:

These are dairy cattle, the cows won't be killed yet.

I think they could have done this much more easily by breeding with a polled breed. I have done this myself, I introduced a polled (hornless) dairy shorthorn into my herd and now I have a large proportion of my herd naturally hornless as the polled trait is dominant... Its also nice because all the cows are blue now :lol:

Can you post a picture of your blue cows? I would love to see one.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users