Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Collecting Rainwater Is Now Illegal!

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#31    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

Reminds me of the "Window Tax"....

The window tax was a property tax based on the number of windows in a house. It was a significant social, cultural, and architectural force in England, France and Scotland during the 18th and 19th centuries. To avoid the tax some houses from the period can be seen to have bricked-up window-spaces (ready to be glazed at a later date), as a result of the tax. It was introduced in 1696 and was repealed in 1851, 156 years after first being introduced. Spain and France both had window taxes as well for similar reasons.

The term "daylight robbery" is thought to have originated from the window tax as it was described by some as a "tax on light"

Taken from http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Window_tax

#32    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:43 PM

If someone else owns the rain, any time there is rain water damage...they should be sued.

Most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of...wait...almost...Maryland is now going to tax you for the amount of rain that falls on your concrete and asphalt covered property...supposedly to pay for cleaning up the Bay...

http://news.yahoo.co...7--finance.html

Remarkably, this tax came just about the same time increased state gun regulations were passed...leading the firearm manufacturer "Beretta" to say it was going to relocate...Beretta paid around 30 million a year in state taxes...coincidence that they now need to tax rain?...I don't think so...

Edited by Jeremiah65, 29 April 2013 - 08:44 PM.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#33    Kowalski

Kowalski

• 4,102 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

View PostJeremiah65, on 29 April 2013 - 08:43 PM, said:

If someone else owns the rain, any time there is rain water damage...they should be sued.

Most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of...wait...almost...Maryland is now going to tax you for the amount of rain that falls on your concrete and asphalt covered property...supposedly to pay for cleaning up the Bay...

http://news.yahoo.co...7--finance.html

Remarkably, this tax came just about the same time increased state gun regulations were passed...leading the firearm manufacturer "Beretta" to say it was going to relocate...Beretta paid around 30 million a year in state taxes...coincidence that they now need to tax rain?...I don't think so...

Gotta get that tax money somewhere, I guess. Cause you know their not going to stop their outrageous spending habits...

#34    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Psychic Spy

• 1,865 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:42 PM

I'm so glad I left Maryland.  I lived in the Western part of the state...mostly farmers...good people.  But the Eastern part of the state...Baltimore city and County and Prince George's County...is the Democrat haven...and where the majority of the state's population dwells.

Maryland def is not going to change their spending habits...it's the "gimme-gimme" state now...The state motto is "The Free state"...Ha!...not anymore...

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#35    darkmoonlady

darkmoonlady

Psychic Spy

• 1,256 posts

• Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'-Shawshank Redemption/Life is a buffet and most poor suckers are starving to death-Auntie Mame

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:06 PM

I will say this the man who is in jail now in Medford for collecting water on his land was fined because of a very old law, nothing new. The water district and the city used this archaic law and not any new legislation to go after him. Just wanted to clarify that..

“The beauty of religious mania is that it has the power to explain everything. Once God (or Satan) is accepted as the first cause of everything which happens in the mortal world, nothing is left to chance …or change... logic can be happily tossed out the window. Religious mania is one of the few infallible ways of responding to the worlds vagaries, because it totally eliminates pure accident. To the true religious maniac, it’s ALL on purpose” – Stephen King, The Stand

#36    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,676 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:15 PM

Last time it rained the ducks were drinking the water in the puddles which had formed.....is that illegal?

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#37    Kowalski

Kowalski

• 4,102 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:49 PM

View Postdarkmoonlady, on 29 April 2013 - 10:06 PM, said:

I will say this the man who is in jail now in Medford for collecting water on his land was fined because of a very old law, nothing new. The water district and the city used this archaic law and not any new legislation to go after him. Just wanted to clarify that..

Is this the antiquated law you mean:

In the State of Colorado, USA, the installation of rainwater collection barrels is subject to the Constitution of the State of Colorado, state statutes and case law.[14] This is a consequence of the system of water rights in the state; the movement and holding of rainwater is inextricably linked with ownership of water rights and is enshrined in the constitution of the State of Colorado. The use of water in Colorado and other western states is governed by what is known as the prior appropriation doctrine. This system of water allocation controls who uses how much water, the types of uses allowed, and when those waters can be used. This is often referred to as the priority system or "first in time, first in right." Since all water arriving in Colorado has been allocated to "senior water right holders" since the 1850s, rainwater prevented from running downstream may not be available to its rightful owner

Prior appropriation water rights, sometimes known as the Colorado Doctrine in reference to the U.S. Supreme Court case Wyoming v. Colorado, is a system of allocating water rights from a water source that is markedly different from riparian water rights. Water law in the western United States generally follows the appropriation doctrine which developed due to the scarcity of water in that area.
The appropriation doctrine originated in Colorado in 1872 when the territorial court ruled in Yunker v. Nichols, 1 Colo. 552 (1872), that a non-riparian user who had previously applied part of the water from a stream to beneficial use had superior rights to the water with respect to a riparian owner who claimed a right to use of all the water at a later time. The question was not squarely presented again to the Colorado Court until 1882 when in the landmark case, Coffin v. Left Hand Ditch Co., 6 Colo. 443 (1882), the court explicitly adopted the appropriation doctrine and rejected the riparian doctrine, citing Colorado irrigation and mining practices and the nature of the climate. The decision in Coffin ruled that prior to adoption of the appropriation doctrine in the Colorado Constitution of 1876 that the riparian doctrine had never been the law in Colorado.

Edited by Kowalski, 29 April 2013 - 10:53 PM.

#38    darkmoonlady

darkmoonlady

Psychic Spy

• 1,256 posts

• Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'-Shawshank Redemption/Life is a buffet and most poor suckers are starving to death-Auntie Mame

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:05 PM

No the law is in Oregon specifically I think in Jackson county..this article is from the first time he was jailed, he's back in for the same thing right now...

http://cnsnews.com/n...rty-enters-jail

“The beauty of religious mania is that it has the power to explain everything. Once God (or Satan) is accepted as the first cause of everything which happens in the mortal world, nothing is left to chance …or change... logic can be happily tossed out the window. Religious mania is one of the few infallible ways of responding to the worlds vagaries, because it totally eliminates pure accident. To the true religious maniac, it’s ALL on purpose” – Stephen King, The Stand

#39    Kowalski

Kowalski

• 4,102 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:11 PM

View Postdarkmoonlady, on 29 April 2013 - 11:05 PM, said:

No the law is in Oregon specifically I think in Jackson county..this article is from the first time he was jailed, he's back in for the same thing right now...

http://cnsnews.com/n...rty-enters-jail

Okay, thanks for posting this!

Harrington was found guilty two weeks ago of breaking a 1925 law for having, what state water managers called “three illegal reservoirs” on his property. He was convicted of nine misdemeanors, sentenced to 30 days in jail and fined over $1500 for collecting rainwater and snow runoff on his property.

Wow. A 1925 Law?? That's crazy! You should be able to do what you want on your own property....

#40    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ

• 2,410 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:12 PM

View Postkrillen, on 29 April 2013 - 03:05 PM, said:

Many of the freedoms we enjoy here in the U.S. are quickly eroding as the nation transforms from the land of the free into the land of the enslaved, but what I’m about to share with you takes the assault on our freedoms to a whole new level. You may not be aware of this, but many Western states, including Utah, Washington and Colorado, have long outlawed individuals from collecting rainwater on their own properties because, according to officials, that rain belongs to someone else.

Posted Image

More details: Collecting Rainwater Now Illegal in Many States (Video)

What a nightmare. Couldn't believe this. :passifier: :st

This imho is just the latest in a long lines of laws & regulations designed to disempower people and create a dependence on governments or corporations.. They use health & safety or any other form of persuasion they can think of to take away peoples right or ability to fend for themselves.. It ensures slavery to state/corporations. It ensures that people will forever be dependant on them. It ensures that whatever medication or dosage of this or that can be force fed to the people under their control.

There is nothing as important as water... DONT take this idly..

#41    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,546 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:25 PM

View PostKowalski, on 29 April 2013 - 11:11 PM, said:

Okay, thanks for posting this!

Wow. A 1925 Law?? That's crazy! You should be able to do what you want on your own property....

We have a natural watershed on our property and we can't interfere with it in any way, because if we do it can flood our neighbors. In rural areas it comes down to whether your livestock have a steady supply of water that has been afforded to the property for like...forever, because of a creek or stream. It's like cutting off their lifeline.

#42    flbrnt

flbrnt

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:23 AM

These are desert states. Wars were fought over water rights. Do some research.

#43    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,620 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:48 AM

pssst ...  hey buddy,  wanna buy some water? SHHHHHHH!*!*!*!*  not so LOUD!*

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#44    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,367 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:52 AM

Why am I paying £54.00 ($82.00) per month Water Rates.It comes down free and is captured by the Water Company,who make you pay for cleaning it.This last winter we've had rivers of water running down main streets, flooded fields,all causing massive damage to houses,cars crops,and then they put a hosepipe ban in force in a few weeks time.Its a crazy world.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#45    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,676 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

I can understand why people would have to pay for water coming through their taps, it has to be cleaned, filtered and whatever else they do and add to it, but illegal to collect rain water on your own property? Nah! not having that!

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users