Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Being Afraid of What’s in the Dark

afraid dark paranoia shadows

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,654 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:17 PM

The world is filled with skeptics, naysayers and disbelievers, but whatever’s lurking out there in the shadows has become real enough to cause legitimate psychological constructs. But what do we call these? What names have been given to these cases of paranormal induced paranoia?

http://mysteriousuni...ts-in-the-dark/

Posted Image

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,677 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:25 PM

Frankly I feel that those not afraid of the dead need help.

=====================================================

being afraid of the dark is quite a normal instinct with humans, we like to be in control and when the lights are out and we can not see properly, we are no longer in control.
Being  afraid of what may be out there can be for numerous reasons, be it 'not seeing what is there' and mainly, what we have been told and heard could be there.

I have often walked the family cemetery during the day and its is one of the most peaceful places I know, if it were not for the horror films and folktales I have seen and heard throughout the years, I would most likely feel the same at night, but The night of the Living dead keeps popping up in my mind when I contemplate going there at night.  Its all in my mind, so now I know it may be Spectrophobia, but I refer to the above quote from the article, I know why i am afraid sometimes of the dark, but its nothing a good bright torch would not sort out.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#3    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:29 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 29 April 2013 - 07:17 PM, said:

The world is filled with skeptics, naysayers and disbelievers, but whatever’s lurking out there in the shadows has become real enough to cause legitimate psychological constructs. But what do we call these? What names have been given to these cases of paranormal induced paranoia?

http://mysteriousuni...ts-in-the-dark/

Animal instincts to make us find safety at night so we dont get eaten?

Turning off all the lights in the house and siting quitely in a room on your own to see what comes to get you quickly cures the fear.

#4    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,729 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:46 PM

I know someone who, of they sleep with the lights or tv off, they will have nightmares.

#5    FlyingAngel

FlyingAngel

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:54 PM

I come and go in the dark like nothing happened. Is not having fear an illness?

#6    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,848 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:51 AM

Our Amina.

That part of us that fears predation. Many hunters are nocturnal, we have not shed our instincts.

Best way to cure it forever?

If you are disciplined enough sit in the wilderness alone at night for three days and nights with out ever going to sleep. You won't be able to entirely, but the Highs and lows you will go through will change your perspectives forever.

Trust me the sunrise after the first night will the most incredible sunrise you have ever experienced, by the third night normal darkness will never bother you again.

:) just some tips.

Edited by Seeker79, 01 May 2013 - 06:51 AM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

Also tagged with afraid, dark, paranoia, shadows

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users