Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

NBA's Jason Collins comes out as gay

nba

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:16 PM

NBA player Jason Collins has said it is "mind-boggling" to be the first active male athlete in a major sport in the US to come out as gay.

In an interview with ABC News, Collins said he hoped other professional athletes would now follow his lead.

On Monday, he declared in Sports Illustrated: "I'm a 34-year-old NBA center. I'm black. And I'm gay."

The 7ft basketball player has been inundated with messages of support from across the world of sport and politics.

View: Read more

Posted Image

#2    A rather obscure Bassoon

A rather obscure Bassoon

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

• "The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage."

Mark Russel

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

Yeah saw this on the TV,why is this such a big deal in the USA.

Is North America Homophobic ?

Edited by shaddow134, 30 April 2013 - 09:34 PM.

" Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitos. "

Anon.

#3    Walter White

Walter White

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Location:United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

• "He will regret it but once, and that will be continuously." - J.E.B. Stuart

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:58 PM

Fair play to him.  

It's funny that this guy might have felt worried about coming out, he is 7ft tall for christ's sake.

"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union.  It would be an accumulation of all the evils we complain of, and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for it's preservation." - General Robert E. Lee

"I think I understand what military fame is; to be killed on the field of battle and have your name misspelled in the newspapers." - Major General William Tecumseh Sherman

#4    HoboMoo

HoboMoo

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:02 PM

Wonder if he'll be considered the Jackie Robinson for gays

#5    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 18,013 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

View Postshaddow134, on 30 April 2013 - 09:26 PM, said:

Yeah saw this on the TV,why is this such a big deal in the USA.

Is North America Homophobic ?

Not where I live.

#6    Walter White

Walter White

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:15 PM

In the end this will only be viewed as a good thing in years to come.

"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union.  It would be an accumulation of all the evils we complain of, and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for it's preservation." - General Robert E. Lee

"I think I understand what military fame is; to be killed on the field of battle and have your name misspelled in the newspapers." - Major General William Tecumseh Sherman

#7    johnny blue eyes

johnny blue eyes

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:22 PM

View PostWalter White, on 30 April 2013 - 09:58 PM, said:

Fair play to him.  

It's funny that this guy might have felt worried about coming out, he is 7ft tall for christ's sake.
Why do people think just cos your bigger than most you should be tougher on the inside than most?
Im bigger than average and find that others(small people) think for some reason im mentally tougher than average.
Nothing but sizeist!
Anyway, whats so unexplained about someone "coming out"?

#8    Walter White

Walter White

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:36 PM

View Postjohnny blue eyes, on 30 April 2013 - 10:22 PM, said:

Why do people think just cos your bigger than most you should be tougher on the inside than most?
Im bigger than average and find that others(small people) think for some reason im mentally tougher than average.
Nothing but sizeist!
Anyway, whats so unexplained about someone "coming out"?
I only meant it as a light hearted comment, I apologise most sincerely. :)

I can imagine, well actually I can't to be honest, what coming out as the only homosexual in major American sports must be like.  A time for courage if ever there was one.

#9    Bama13

Bama13

Poltergeist

• 2,886 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:19 PM

View PostHoboMoo, on 30 April 2013 - 10:02 PM, said:

Wonder if he'll be considered the Jackie Robinson for gays

Big difference, at least to me. There have been gays playing sports for years, just not "openly" gay. There were not any "closet" blacks in the Major Leagues. Everyone is treating this as a big deal, but I just don't get it. Who cares what your sexual orientation is? I only care if you are a good player and/or if you play for a team I like.

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#10    Bama13

Bama13

Poltergeist

• 2,886 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:20 PM

View PostWalter White, on 30 April 2013 - 10:36 PM, said:

I only meant it as a light hearted comment, I apologise most sincerely. :)

I can imagine, well actually I can't to be honest, what coming out as the only homosexual in major American sports must be like.  A time for courage if ever there was one.

Not the only one, just the only one to come out while still active (if not being on a team is considered active). I'm sure there are others.

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#11    Moon Gazer

Moon Gazer

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

• Stonewylde.... follow me to Stonewylde....

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:57 PM

Good for him.  It's a shame that it gets made such a big deal out of it really, his sexual preference does not effect the way he plays sports one little bit so shouldn't be anyone's business.

But glad he feels he can be open about it, and hopefully others who have perhaps felt they had to hide it will now feel it no longer has to be hidden.

#12    Walter White

Walter White

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:03 PM

View PostBama13, on 01 May 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

Not the only one, just the only one to come out while still active (if not being on a team is considered active). I'm sure there are others.
That's what I meant to say. :lol:

#13    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 11,960 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

He's a good baller.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#14    Odd Requiem

Odd Requiem

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

• "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:48 PM

I'll be quite content when the world gets over their naive, close-minded views on being gay. It's becoming quite mundane.

-I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.//

#15    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,605 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:57 PM

I wonder how his teammates will feel about him bouncing his balls all over the locker room now?

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users