Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Obama says Guantanamo Bay prison must close

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:18 PM

US President Barack Obama has pledged a new push to close the prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, amid a growing prisoner hunger strike there.

At the White House, Mr Obama said the detention centre was "contrary to who we are" and harmful to US interests.

He cited recent convictions of terror suspects to argue the civilian justice system was adequate for such trials.

Congress has blocked efforts to close the prison, but Mr Obama said he would renew discussions with lawmakers.

View: Read more

Posted Image

#2    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Baseless Opinionator

• 3,092 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:23 PM

It's sad that anything positive Obama says instantly makes me sceptical. :unsure2:

"For God doth know that in the day ye eat [the fruit] thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil."

"The tragedy of humanity is that we have stone age instincts, medieval institutions and god-like powers."

#3    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath, though...

#4    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:59 PM

Welcome back 2008! Empty promises! Vacant looks as he tries to read the teleprompter! He's back!

Edited by Hasina, 30 April 2013 - 10:00 PM.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#5    aztek

aztek

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,612 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:50 PM

lol, yea the man says a lot.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#6    Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

• Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today...
    As You don't know what tomorrow bring's.......

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:21 PM

Can he walk the walk and not just talk the talk

Posted Image

#7    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,279 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:33 AM

Congress has blocked efforts to close the prison

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#8    Avatar Samantha Ai

WE DO LOVE YOU

• 3,746 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.
    -AF

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:39 AM

Hopefully it is closed soon but at this stage we are going to face repercussions either way.

If we don't close it the extremists will quietly operate against us without stopping.

If we do close it the stories of the prisoners will get out and will cause public sentiment to spike against us which will give a boost to the extremists temporarily.

Deescalation is the wiser course.

#9    acidhead

acidhead

GOV Debt Slave

• 11,929 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:37 AM

View Postninjadude, on 01 May 2013 - 01:33 AM, said:

Congress has blocked efforts to close the prison

Odrama said he would close it.  He can... but he won't.  Why?  Because he's one of them.  A two bit car salesman but this one has some flash.  He wows people.... has flare.  

And it's all an act.

All of it.... from the media to his pen.

And that's all I have to say about that.

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#10    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,780 posts

• ראה

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:41 AM

Secretly implant GPS chips into them; then simply let them go. We could hone in on their signal and force feed them one of these.

That way we don't look like Mengele down there.

Posted Image "Make Manifest Destiny a memory ..." 12-7-2011  "When the earth is displaced fully three times at the point of destiny ..." 10-29-2013

#11    Avatar Samantha Ai

WE DO LOVE YOU

• 3,746 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.
    -AF

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:19 AM

Asymmetrical warfare always fosters a sense in the underdogs of not giving up and offering more blowback.

You should have played the videos where they sing as they kill, or where they kill Reuters reports who are non-combatants, or even the ones of Blackwater contractors in humvees running women over or pushing civilian cars off the road for phone causing massive damage.

Those always are wonderful PR for us!

#12    Walter White

Walter White

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Location:United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

• "He will regret it but once, and that will be continuously." - J.E.B. Stuart

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

Surely, regarding the detainees already cleared for transfer or release, he doesn't need congressional approval?  They're free to leave the base once DoD confirms it.

Obama can rid himself of up to half the population of Guantanamo, all he needs to do is tell Chuck to get signing.

Edited by Walter White, 01 May 2013 - 11:19 AM.

"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union.  It would be an accumulation of all the evils we complain of, and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for it's preservation." - General Robert E. Lee

"I think I understand what military fame is; to be killed on the field of battle and have your name misspelled in the newspapers." - Major General William Tecumseh Sherman

#13    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,771 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:16 PM

I believe Gitmo was justified.  But detaining people forever without trial is completely unacceptable.  Those who pose too great a risk to release, who have been guilty of killing or helping to kill soldiers should be speedily brought to military tribunal and executed.  The rest should indeed be "chipped" and released.  If they are id'd on a battlefield again they should be executed without delay - PERIOD.  A nation at war that is worried about it's appearance to others who are not sending their sons and daughters ...should not be at war to begin with.  War is about killing and destroying an enemy's will to fight.  It's either all in or stay all out.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#14    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,757 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:05 PM

If I were Obama I would tell Congress that they either stop blocking the moving of the prisoners or I would sign an executive order releasing them all. After all, there is nothing much left they can do to him, they can only screw the people a little more.

Edited by questionmark, 01 May 2013 - 02:14 PM.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#15    praetorian-legio XIII

praetorian-legio XIII

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

• Beer; Now there's a temporary solution.

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:12 PM

I enjoyed Jay Leno's take on it.

Just have obama declare it a small business and tax the s#%t out of it. It'll close its doors in no time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users