Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

A roundabout coming to a road near you?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 16,470 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:58 PM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 02 May 2013 - 02:18 PM, said:

Thanks for pointing this out, its amazing how many are ignorant to this.

Its easy to knock cyclists, there are plenty of them who do not have a clue what they are doing (and the number is increasing), just as many motorists seem to be oblivious to the rules of the road too. A car driven recklessly is a lot more dangerous than a bicycle being ridden recklessly and education is the key to safety as mentioned.

Really, some of you sound like fat cat business tycoons oblivious to the world of the normal man while you cruise around in your luxurious oversized cars. I cycle and own two cars, I have the right to use the road regardless of my choice of transport.

Exactly, education is the key to safety and that goes for bicycles too. I live in one of the most bike friendly cities in the US with bike lanes everywhere and I see dangerous maneuvers like running red lights, passing between traffic lanes,and cutting people off all of the time. Then when one of them gets hit there is an uproar from the biking community.

You have to pay to tag and register both of those cars so they can be identified when they cause a wreck or violate the law. You can't drive one without tags and say you paid for the other one so you've paid your fair share.

#17    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Aqualish Dude

• 5,708 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:13 PM

View PostMichelle, on 02 May 2013 - 02:58 PM, said:

You have to pay to tag and register both of those cars so they can be identified when they cause a wreck or violate the law. You can't drive one without tags and say you paid for the other one so you've paid your fair share.

Believe me I pay for both cars, VED and insurance. I had to use one just now, driving to the bike shop to buy a new brake cable as it snapped.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#18    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,996 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:52 PM

View Postealdwita, on 02 May 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:

I don't have too much of a problem with cyclists out here in the Badlands, but I do get annoyed greatly by their 'off-road' cousins - The RAMBLERS!!!! Cagoul-clad numpties lacking the brains to be train-spotters who consider themselves above and beyond byelaws and the Countryside Code, and firmly believe that the whole of the landmass of Britain is theirs by right to trample over at will (including - in one memorable case - my back garden).
  Did you shoot him accidently ?.Trespassers will be shot,thats the notice outside Area 51,the no go zone in America.These guys don't understand notices,thats why they leave gates open.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#19    Black Red Devil

Black Red Devil

Mean as Hell

• 2,610 posts

• I would if I could
    But I can't, so I won't

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:22 AM

I cycle and one of the good things about Sydney's road infrastructure is that it's provided a reasonable amount of space for bike lanes which, in my opinion, hasn't affected traffic flow in any way.  Couldn't say the same about the increasing amount of roundabouts which are an absolute nuisance and not at all user friendly to cyclists as the OP claims.

We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell

- Oscar Wilde

#20    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,996 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:35 AM

London has the biggest roundabout in the world,the M25 motorway,you can spend a full day on it and still wont get right around,just as well cyclists are banned.

#21    Asadora

Asadora

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

I think horses should have to pay road tax... or at least the people who ride them on the main roads... and of course tax the horse buggies/carriages that a particular sect of society seems to drive quite a lot near where I live.

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#22    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,968 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:19 AM

View PostAsadora, on 03 May 2013 - 10:04 AM, said:

I think horses should have to pay road tax... or at least the people who ride them on the main roads... and of course tax the horse buggies/carriages that a particular sect of society seems to drive quite a lot near where I live.
Problem with that is you can take horses pretty much anywhere.

I heard that there are a few people that want mobility scooters to pay for road tax

#23    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 16,470 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:48 AM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 03 May 2013 - 10:19 AM, said:

Problem with that is you can take horses pretty much anywhere.

I heard that there are a few people that want mobility scooters to pay for road tax

Why would they say that? Those scooters are not street-legal vehicles.

#24    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,968 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:56 PM

View PostMichelle, on 03 May 2013 - 11:48 AM, said:

Why would they say that? Those scooters are not street-legal vehicles.
What happened was one of them hit a pedestrian and now that the person and a few other people want them on roads and make them to pay road tax. It was bizzare, think it was in my local paper and on BBC south today few months ago.

#25    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,194 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:21 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 02 May 2013 - 10:52 PM, said:

Did you shoot him accidently ?.Trespassers will be shot,thats the notice outside Area 51,the no go zone in America.These guys don't understand notices,thats why they leave gates open.

I just let the dogs play with them for a few minutes. Then I shouted "Git orf moi land!" very loudly and waved my stick at them!

View Postspud the mackem, on 03 May 2013 - 08:35 AM, said:

London has the biggest roundabout in the world,the M25 motorway,you can spend a full day on it and still wont get right around,just as well cyclists are banned.

More of a giant, circular car park, most days!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#26    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,194 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:26 PM

View PostAsadora, on 03 May 2013 - 10:04 AM, said:

The Amish are coming - the Amish are coming!!!!!!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#27    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,996 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:05 PM

I thought that horses pulling carts were 1 horse power ,off road vehicles,so they would be exempt from road tax,the same as speedway motorcycles etc.

#28    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts

• "The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage."

Mark Russel

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:14 AM

Personally I would ban cyclists,caravans and farmers driving tractors on the road in peak driving hours.

" Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitos. "

Anon.

#29    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,996 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:07 AM

View Postshaddow134, on 04 May 2013 - 12:14 AM, said:

Personally I would ban cyclists,caravans and farmers driving tractors on the road in peak driving hours.
  And children of schoolage on horses that must be terrified,some of them are hardly controlable,but their parents seem to allow it,then they wonder how the horse collides with a car,and its always the drivers fault.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users