Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is antimatter the key to anti-gravity ?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,011 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:40 AM

Scientists at CERN are experimenting to determine if an antimatter object would actually fall upwards.

BBC News said:

Researchers at Cern in Switzerland have tested a novel way to find out if antimatter is the source of a force termed "antigravity". Antimatter particles are the "mirror image" of normal matter, but with opposite electric charge.

Posted Image Read more...

#2    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:02 AM

Would be so cool if this turned out to be the case. It could revolutionise space travel.

#3    FlyingAngel

FlyingAngel

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

How could you build something from a matter that you are not be able to see?

Edited by FlyingAngel, 01 May 2013 - 11:30 AM.

#4    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,839 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:46 AM

Doesn't anti-matter cause matter and itself to blink out of existence if they come into contact?  Not very practical or safe to use on a matter-planet filled with matter-people.

#5    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,055 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:29 PM

View PostFlyingAngel, on 01 May 2013 - 11:29 AM, said:

How could you build something from a matter that you are not be able to see?
No one is suggesting this.

#6    ColoradoParanormal

ColoradoParanormal

Psychic Spy

• 1,310 posts

• 'Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.'

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 01 May 2013 - 11:02 AM, said:

Would be so cool if this turned out to be the case. It could revolutionise space travel.
This wouldn't change a thing for space travel as gravity is of no concern. This would, however, revolutionize future space vehicles during re-entry to a planet that has gravity. No more gas guzzling, archaic rocket type thrusters of which are unstable and difficult to use when trying to leave or re-enter the gravitational pull in terrestrial bodies. This breakthrough would revolutionize flight as we know it!

Edited by ColoradoParanormal, 01 May 2013 - 02:57 PM.

#7    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

View PostColoradoParanormal, on 01 May 2013 - 02:56 PM, said:

This wouldn't change a thing for space travel as gravity is of no concern. This would, however, revolutionize future space vehicles during re-entry to a planet that has gravity. No more gas guzzling, archaic rocket type thrusters of which are unstable and difficult to use when trying to leave or re-enter the gravitational pull in terrestrial bodies. This breakthrough would revolutionize flight as we know it!

Yes, by space-flight I essentially meant 'flight'. No more expensive, months apart rocket launches due to massive amounts of fuel being needed and the planning required for flawless launches. It would make leaving the planet less troublesome, which is the most expensive part of space travel as far as I'm aware. Therefore we would probably do it more often. And, as you say, re-entry would also be made far easier.

That is what I meant by revolutionising space-flight.

#8    sepulchrave

sepulchrave

Psychic Spy

• 1,772 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:53 PM

View PostWickian, on 01 May 2013 - 11:46 AM, said:

Doesn't anti-matter cause matter and itself to blink out of existence if they come into contact?  Not very practical or safe to use on a matter-planet filled with matter-people.
You are correct. It would not be safe at all.

------------
What I think is most fascinating about the possibility of ``negative gravitational mass'' antimatter is the ramifications on the asymmetry of matter and antimatter and the Hubble flow.

If, somehow matter and antimatter became spatially separated in the early period of the Universe, it is possible that gravitational repulsion would separate them further: you would have an equal number of matter and antimatter galaxies all pushing each other apart.

I don't think this would explain away Hubble flow or dark energy completely, but I think it would require a bit of re-evaluation of these theories.

#9    regeneratia

regeneratia

Government Agent

• 3,981 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

• It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:07 PM

Let's be very real about this. Anti-gravity is already functioning and used  in this world. It is just that the technology is NOT reflected to the public.

Edited by regeneratia, 01 May 2013 - 07:08 PM.

#10    sepulchrave

sepulchrave

Psychic Spy

• 1,772 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:06 PM

View Postregeneratia, on 01 May 2013 - 07:07 PM, said:

Let's be very real about this. Anti-gravity is already functioning and used  in this world.

If that is the case then the entire body of advanced theoretical physics as currently understood by graduate students, post docs and professors in civilian universities is a carefully constructed lie, or all advanced researchers in civilian institutions are part of some conspiracy.

The former possibility is pretty unbelievable, because apparently no grant-hungry, desperate-to-publish-something theoretical physicist has found any inconsistencies within this fake theory, and no grant-hungry, desperate-to-publish-something experimental physicist has found repeatable evidence that these fake theories are wrong.

The latter possibility is pretty unbelievable, because I am a grant-hungry, desperate-to-keep-publishing physicist (who, incidentally, has done research at a few government labs in the US and other countries), and no shadowy conspiracy group has threatened or bribed me to keep the truth from the masses.

Edited by sepulchrave, 01 May 2013 - 08:07 PM.

#11    Capt Amerika

Capt Amerika

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:35 PM

View Postsepulchrave, on 01 May 2013 - 08:06 PM, said:

If that is the case then the entire body of advanced theoretical physics as currently understood by graduate students, post docs and professors in civilian universities is a carefully constructed lie, or all advanced researchers in civilian institutions are part of some conspiracy.

The former possibility is pretty unbelievable, because apparently no grant-hungry, desperate-to-publish-something theoretical physicist has found any inconsistencies within this fake theory, and no grant-hungry, desperate-to-publish-something experimental physicist has found repeatable evidence that these fake theories are wrong.

The latter possibility is pretty unbelievable, because I am a grant-hungry, desperate-to-keep-publishing physicist (who, incidentally, has done research at a few government labs in the US and other countries), and no shadowy conspiracy group has threatened or bribed me to keep the truth from the masses.

What if the material being taught is true to the best of the worlds knowledge though?
Maybe a small group employed by the Govt have discovered something and they are keeping it under wraps, they would be the only people who would know the truth.
I dont think that would discredit hardc working folks such as yourself for trying to advance the science.
It would just be a real disservice to people such as yourself for letting you waste your time going in a direction that wont result in any advances.
I wouldnt be surprised though if the govt didnt know something that they were hiding.
Good luck in your research though, i would love to see some new advancements in physics.

#12    regeneratia

regeneratia

Government Agent

• 3,981 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

• It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:58 PM

Yeah, well I consider your posts to be an excuse NOT to believe.

View Postsepulchrave, on 01 May 2013 - 08:06 PM, said:

Yeah, well, yoiu

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema
(quote from THE BIBLE FRAUD)

Robert Heinlein: SECRECY IS THE HALLMARK OF TYRANNY!

#13    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,091 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:35 PM

I wonder if, once they could make "anti-gravity" they could then control it to define or create a specific gravity so that you could nullify g-forces on an accelerating craft from the perspective of those within the craft like the inertial dampeners in star trek?  Right now a fighter jets performance is largely limited by the capacity of the human pilot to withstand forces of gravity, what if that limitation were eliminated?  You would have fighters that could fly circles around everything else, literally.

#14    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,608 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:44 PM

I think their going to find that anti-gravity works just like gravity does.  Other wise there would be no anti-matter bigger than an atom.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#15    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 11,246 posts

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:09 AM

View Postregeneratia, on 01 May 2013 - 07:07 PM, said:

Let's be very real about this. Anti-gravity is already functioning and used  in this world. It is just that the technology is NOT reflected to the public.

*cough*BS*cough*

It must be nice to live in a world where the imagination rules and reality is in the back seat......

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users