Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Ancient City Found

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16    AlnilamPhiSiriusly

AlnilamPhiSiriusly

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:17 PM

View Postcormac mac airt, on 05 May 2013 - 06:53 PM, said:

Except it doesn't, since the article itself clearly says:

There's a difference between a myth and a legend.

cormac

Nevertheless, not everyone would agree with you

Because another story on Heracleion is titled:

'Thought To Be A Myth, An 8th Century B.C. Egyptian City, Heracleion, Was Found Sunken 150 Feet Underwater'

http://www.newsforag...century-bc.html

The article states that:

'Until a decade ago, no one knew if Heracleion, believed to be an ancient harbor city, was fiction or real. Now, reports the Telegraph, the researchers who found it 150 feet beneath the surface of Egypt's Bay of Aboukir are sharing some of the amazing historical artefacts preserved there. The finds include 64 ships, 16-foot-tall statues, 700 anchors and countless gold coins and smaller artefacts'.

#17    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,266 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:33 PM

View PostAlnilamPhiSiriusly, on 05 May 2013 - 07:17 PM, said:

Nevertheless, not everyone would agree with you

Because another story on Heracleion is titled:

'Thought To Be A Myth, An 8th Century B.C. Egyptian City, Heracleion, Was Found Sunken 150 Feet Underwater'

http://www.newsforag...century-bc.html

The article states that:

'Until a decade ago, no one knew if Heracleion, believed to be an ancient harbor city, was fiction or real. Now, reports the Telegraph, the researchers who found it 150 feet beneath the surface of Egypt's Bay of Aboukir are sharing some of the amazing historical artefacts preserved there. The finds include 64 ships, 16-foot-tall statues, 700 anchors and countless gold coins and smaller artefacts'.

So you found someone else who's as ignorant of the difference between a myth and a legend. Heracleion existed for nearly 2000 years before it disappeared, in the middle of the 1st millenium AD. So nobody knew if it was real or fiction? Really? Sadly, this is a case of ignorance breeding offspring.

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#18    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,468 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:18 PM

View PostAlnilamPhiSiriusly, on 05 May 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

Three minute video of the Heracleion story - includes brief underwater sequence of the sunken lost city

ohh wow.
Thanks for posting that APS!

#19    LucidElement

LucidElement

Mystic Divinity

• 3,473 posts

• Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge -Albert Einstein

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

Its crazy because I think we've only discovered about 6-8% of our world's ocean. Who knows whats down there .

"The Truth Is Out There, Its Up To Us To Find The Answers."

"Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge." - Einstein

#20    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:34 AM

View PostHarsh86_Patel, on 03 May 2013 - 08:33 AM, said:

Wonder how much more the oceans hold.

I think more than we can ever imagine... I can't wait to hear of more discoveries in my lifetime.  :)

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#21    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,356 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:01 PM

View PostAlnilamPhiSiriusly, on 05 May 2013 - 07:17 PM, said:

I thought the OP link and a couple other links I read all said 30 feet under the bay, not 150 feet.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users