Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

5yr old kills Sister with Gift

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#61    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,008 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

Wow, terrible parenting and horrendous regard to gun safety. You know I'm all about the second amendment but this is more about idiot parents. One, leaving a gun lying around as they did. Two, not realizing there was a bullet in it? Third, although I think it's ok to teach a young kid to shoot I really don't think real guns should be made to look like toy guns with fluorescent colors and swirly colors. They should look as they are... Raw, intimidating and meant to be respected. Guns can be fun but they shouldn't be taught as fun until the kid is not such a kid anymore. I'm not advocating any special laws, just sensibility.

Posted Image

#62    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,008 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:29 PM

As I just read someone else's post... What I meant to say is guns shouldn't be marketed to kids.

Posted Image

#63    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,775 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:35 PM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 02 May 2013 - 08:29 PM, said:

As I just read someone else's post... What I meant to say is guns shouldn't be marketed to kids.

Should kids be able to hunt with their family?

If your answer is yes, then they do need smaller guns.

I do not have any issue with hem being marketed for kids, and clearly for hunting.

Edited by Sakari, 02 May 2013 - 08:36 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#64    green_dude777

green_dude777

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

• When you look back in life, you don't regret what you did, you regret what you never attempted.

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:40 PM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 02 May 2013 - 08:29 PM, said:

Well, I'm not for infringing on the 1st amendment, I will say that marketing a product to a demographic that isn't allowed/can't purchase the item is kind of dumb.  Shouldn't be illegal though... what should happen, and seems like it won't, is that whoever was the legal guardian at that time should be charged with neglect of some kind.

#65    aztek

aztek

Alien Abducter

• 4,960 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:40 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 02 May 2013 - 07:45 PM, said:

There is a big difference between people having guns because they use them for hunting  to those who use them for their protection in urban areas. I do not believe at all that children in urban areas should have guns if they are bought for them as a means of protection. The god damn parents should be protecting their children.
Are you telling me that all those 'millions" of children are bought guns because daddy is taking them on hunting trips at the weekend?

But my main point was these companies are making guns for children while the government is trying to make gun purchases for adults more difficult...do you not see the irony in that?
it really doesn't make any difference why a parent buys a gun for his kid, and where they live. lots of ppl hunt with kids, and also take them to shooting range, i don't see why kids that live in big city should not be able to go hunting or to shooting range.
yes i am saying millions of kids go hunting and shooting with parents, and kid's, and  youth's rifles sales numbers prove it. as for protection, well, parents are not always home, especially after kid turns 8, it is legal to leave him at home alone, there were few known events where kids took parents gun and protected their house from intruders. you tube even has them. someone even linked one on those on the  forum in other antigun thread.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#66    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,333 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:53 PM

View Postaztek, on 02 May 2013 - 08:40 PM, said:

it really doesn't make any difference why a parent buys a gun for his kid, and where they live. lots of ppl hunt with kids, and also take them to shooting range, i don't see why kids that live in big city should not be able to go hunting or to shooting range.
yes i am saying millions of kids go hunting and shooting with parents, and kid's, and  youth's rifles sales numbers prove it. as for protection, well, parents are not always home, especially after kid turns 8, it is legal to leave him at home alone, there were few known events where kids took parents gun and protected their house from intruders. you tube even has them. someone even linked one on those on the  forum in other antigun thread.
It does make a difference why a parent buys a gun for a kid!  as I have said in my post...There is a big difference between people having guns because they use them for hunting  to those who use them for their protection in urban areas.  I too do not see why kids that live in a big city should not be able to go hunting, thats not what I said!!

As for your bit on the protection!!! so what you are saying is the parents are out and the child is left alone with accessible guns which are NOT locked away? Do you want to rethink that comment?

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#67    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,008 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:00 PM

View Postgreen_dude777, on 02 May 2013 - 08:40 PM, said:

Well, I'm not for infringing on the 1st amendment, I will say that marketing a product to a demographic that isn't allowed/can't purchase the item is kind of dumb.  Shouldn't be illegal though... what should happen, and seems like it won't, is that whoever was the legal guardian at that time should be charged with neglect of some kind.

I said no special laws needed, just sensibility. If guns are marketed towards kids at least at least make them look like 'grown up guns' and not toys.

Posted Image

#68    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,057 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:05 PM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 02 May 2013 - 09:00 PM, said:

I said no special laws needed, just sensibility. If guns are marketed towards kids at least at least make them look like 'grown up guns' and not toys.

And make sure that actual grown-ups buy them.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#69    green_dude777

green_dude777

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

• When you look back in life, you don't regret what you did, you regret what you never attempted.

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:06 PM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 02 May 2013 - 09:00 PM, said:

Don't worry, I agree.  The snippet about the law is to prevent the idea, not a response to your quote.

View Postfreetoroam, on 02 May 2013 - 08:53 PM, said:

It does make a difference why a parent buys a gun for a kid!  as I have said in my post...There is a big difference between people having guns because they use them for hunting  to those who use them for their protection in urban areas.  I too do not see why kids that live in a big city should not be able to go hunting, thats not what I said!!

As for your bit on the protection!!! so what you are saying is the parents are out and the child is left alone with accessible guns which are NOT locked away? Do you want to rethink that comment?

Seriously, this again?  We already went over this when that boy in Texas had access to his firearms and defended the home.  It's also the same thread where everyone not from the U.S. was stunned that I had my own rifle when I was 5 years old, and even more stunned that I could have gotten the gun out of the cabinet since I was 9.

To sum that up again, yes.  Responsibility isn't tied to an age, it's tied to a mindset.  When I was 12, I would have been fully capable to defend the home in the absence of my parents.

#70    green_dude777

green_dude777

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:08 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 02 May 2013 - 09:05 PM, said:

I hope you're not implying minors can buy guns.... If you are, I would expect a source.

I guess I should just lower my expectations of you and your contribution to a debate.

#71    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,057 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:10 PM

View Postgreen_dude777, on 02 May 2013 - 09:08 PM, said:

I hope you're not implying minors can buy guns.... If you are, I would expect a source.

I guess I should just lower my expectations of you and your contribution to a debate.

Not everybody over 18 is actually a grown-up. That is what I am talking about. And there are no laws needed as long as all behave like grown ups, sadly that is not the case and never has been.

EDIT: and sincerely, I could not care a hoot what you think of me... in fact I would be pretty ashamed if certain people thought well of me.

Edited by questionmark, 02 May 2013 - 09:11 PM.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#72    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,391 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:29 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 02 May 2013 - 08:53 PM, said:

Why do guns always have to be used for hunting? There is a vast majority that don't live in the inner city or the extremely rural areas. I grew up the the suburbs, my Dad never hunted, but was an avid gun collector. We would go out hiking in the woods, on private family property, on Sundays and target practice. I've had a gun in my hands since I was six and always knew how to get to the guns in the glass gun cabinets. Then I was babysitting my newborn nephew at the age of nine, which is considered child abuse now.

There is, for the most part, a huge difference in how kids are raised today than 40 years ago. We were taught to not drink bleach and how to use it instead of locking it up where it can't be reached. With all of the child safety locks, rules and regulations it's a wonder we survived our childhoods. I feel bad for the kids that aren't raised with some sort of responsibility. They are in for a rude awakening when they have to fend for themselves.

That said, I don't think guns should be made to look like toys, as Mr. Fess and others have said...unless they shoot water.

Edited by Michelle, 02 May 2013 - 09:58 PM.

#73    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,391 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:51 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 02 May 2013 - 09:05 PM, said:

Well duh...no one that tries to get away with the age requirements wants one of those.

#74    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

• 'The light of the world'

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:13 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 02 May 2013 - 05:38 PM, said:

In southern Kentucky, where children get their first guns even before they start school, Stephanie Sparks paid little attention as her 5-year-old son played with the rifle he was given last year.

If this is so and the government know it, then how does the laws on gun ownership work here...or doesn`t it?

The rifle was made by a company that sells guns specifically for children - "My first rifle" is the slogan - in colours ranging to hot pink and multi-colour swirls.

unbelievable!!!!

I can't wrap my head round it Freetoroam! Whilst I respect the American folks to have their rights to their own gun culture. I can't help but think that the most dangerous thing here in the UK that we buy for our kids for birthday's etc is probably a trampoline :unsure2:

Edited by Star of the Sea, 02 May 2013 - 10:14 PM.

"Love one another as I have loved you" John 15:9-17

#75    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:23 PM

Well, what about BB guns?

I mean, kids that are 7 or 8 like BB guns. A Christmas Story ring a bell? You'll shoot your eye out kid! My husband and I bought our 10 year old nephew a BB gun, last year at Christmas. He lives in the city, but he loves it!
There kinda what every little boy wants. And BB guns are marketed to kids. Heck, their are even pink camo ones! (I want one of those, I love pink camo. I know! I'm weird)
So, does anyone have a problem with BB guns? Just asking a question, is all. I understand that there is a huge difference in a .22 and a BB gun. Just asking a question guys. I also think 5 is a little too young to be handling a .22 without parental supervision. That's just stupid.

Edited by Kowalski, 02 May 2013 - 10:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users