Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Formosan clouded leopard extinct

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,020 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:43 PM

That just stinks.   :no:

http://www.livescien...ml?cmpid=514627

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 5,691 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:42 PM

From the article:
"There may be a few of them, but we do not think they exist in any significant numbers."

So are they extinct or not?
-------------------------------------------

Formosan clouded leopards, which were not thought to be a separate species, have been driven to extinction by habitat destruction and illegal hunting for their skin and bones.

The usual selfish reasons once again! :no:

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#3    BlueBomber

BlueBomber

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:30 PM

:td:

A skeptical believer.

#4    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 14,710 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:42 PM

Poor beautiful creatures. :cry:

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#5    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,088 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:58 PM

That is a bummer.  What species will be next?  If this animal is really gone its too late to do anything to help it.  I think there are others that should be given help by laws protecting them and prosecuting people that hunt them before they are also extinct.

#6    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,670 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:41 PM

The Human race seriously needs to step back and think more about what we are doing.

Yes I know that there is lots of us who didn't cause this, but we also didn't stop it.Our species is becoming a serious problem on the planet and we need to start doing something about it. Education is the best start. I want schools to teach childrne about extinction and how it's selfish greedy humans who have been responsible for a lot of extinctions.

Sad day, faith in humanity has dropped down again today.

Edited by Coffey, 03 May 2013 - 01:41 PM.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#7    jpjoe

jpjoe

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:42 PM

Reality, a lot of 'Chinese' (I know this is Taiwan) business people don't care whether they destroy natural ecosystems or not, as long as there is money in it. This tradition of money-first is sickening and it really needs to end!

#8    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:54 PM

Another F for mankind.

#9    BlueBomber

BlueBomber

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:11 PM

View Postjpjoe, on 03 May 2013 - 02:42 PM, said:

Reality, a lot of 'Chinese' (I know this is Taiwan) business people don't care whether they destroy natural ecosystems or not, as long as there is money in it. This tradition of money-first is sickening and it really needs to end!
That sums up almost the entire planet.

A skeptical believer.

#10    jpjoe

jpjoe

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:59 PM

View PostBlueBomber, on 03 May 2013 - 04:11 PM, said:

That sums up almost the entire planet.

Indeed. But on our side of the world, traditional Chinese are way more blatant and barbaric. It's not a coincidence that every time forest/ocean rangers in ours or a neighboring country's catch poachers, it's almost always a Chinese or supported by a Chinese. You have no idea how much we are sick of hearing them in the news. Illegal trades go all the way from Africa to South America, all of which can be traced back to the Chinese black market. Search the net for news, they're everywhere. This article is just the tip of the ever-growing iceberg.

#11    TheSpoonyOne

TheSpoonyOne

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 200 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:37 PM

I don't like this 'we humans need to look at what we've done' approach, I haven't done a thing, a lot of us haven't, the countries that these places happen in are the ones that need to take some responsibility for what's happening, saying 'we all are guilty' is excusing them for not doing enough to stop their country's problem.

#12    CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

• Without going out of my door
    I can know all things of earth
    Without looking out of my window
    I could know the ways of heaven

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:32 PM

This is one of the type of topics that I hate to see on UM or anywhere else for that matter.    :cry:    [hopefully they have stored plenty of DNA for when people learn how to live with animals]

#13    Marcin

Marcin

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:47 PM

View PostTheSpoonyOne, on 03 May 2013 - 08:37 PM, said:

I don't like this 'we humans need to look at what we've done' approach, I haven't done a thing, a lot of us haven't, the countries that these places happen in are the ones that need to take some responsibility for what's happening, saying 'we all are guilty' is excusing them for not doing enough to stop their country's problem.

As was already said above - yes you haven't done a thing, a lot of us haven't - and THIS is exactly the problem. This is the prevailing mentality around the globe, I haven't done a thing... but it cuts both ways.

Sure, you, me, us, we haven't done anything WRONG to cause this... on the flip side, we haven't done anything to stop it either, we all pull sad faces, throw comments around, point fingers in other direction and move on, hoping that someone somewhere will do something so we don't have to... in mean time, plenty of other fellow species to this cat are being hunted down to dead beat because there never was enough pressure from anywhere in particular to really put a stop to it, just a lot of small talk.

#14    RigDigman

RigDigman

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

• "Don't ask what the world is hiding from you. Ask what you are hiding from the world."

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:49 AM

According to the theory of Evolution, because our pray has died out, only those adapted to other diets will live, and the rest will die off. Which means that Mountain Dew and Hot Pockets will save us all in the end.

#15    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:52 AM

They are beautiful..  or were.  :(

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users