Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Suicide among the middle-aged rises sharply

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#46    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,260 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:08 PM

It seems there is no escape; nothing you can possibly do will make it better.  I have learned that it is a matter of perspective -- the depressed person, for chemical or some reason, just cannot see anything but the negative side of things.  Usually this passes and the brain, especially if there is a chance for a good night's sleep, can awaken with a somewhat different perspective.  The technique is as one deal with physical pain -- the pain will pass -- this too will pass.

I think in the long run there is no solution but medical help, and this usually involves some medication, at least for awhile, and sometimes all one's life.  It is better than dying.  Once treated, the attempted suicide is always grateful that the intervention happened.

I can conceive of situations of an incurable illness, but even here medical intervention on the accompanying depression may cause the suicidal patient to rethink it.

One thing I cannot tolerate, and that is those so-called Christians who condemn suicide as a sin.  The person died of a deadly illness.

#47    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,376 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

View PostJ. K., on 08 May 2013 - 03:57 PM, said:

It's difficult to describe depression to those who've not had it.  Some people don't even think it exists.  However, it is very real and can have devastating influence on all areas of life.  When everything seems to become hopeless, with no possibility of improvement, suicidal thoughts are "logical."
I agree.    I would recommend seeing a therapist before medication though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users