Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The History of Exploration, Trade and Travel

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16    The Sky Scanner

The Sky Scanner

Observer

• 5,374 posts

• The loud ones never last!

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

View Postpantodragon, on 11 May 2013 - 02:43 PM, said:

You'd be surprised!  But unfortunately the only way you can see the truth is to come off power yourself.  You are probably aware of how alcoholics loose all awareness of the effects of alcohol and just drink it throughout the day as other people coffee.  It's only when they come off the alcohol that they know they were on it.  I know what I am talking about because I kicked power myself.  Like reformed smokers who can feel a rush of desire when the smell cigarrette smoke or see a cigarette advert, I can still experience a rush when I sense power.  I wouldn't have believed it myself if I had been told about it before I'd experienced it.  If you told me I was on power, I'd have laughed in your face, or more likely have punched your lights out!

Passing on knowledge is power. Receiving knowledge is power (empowering). Dominating another is power. Being dominated is handing power to someone else, yet in some schools of thought is in itself empowering. Personal achievements are power, as are grander are far reaching achievements. You see, everything is power if you want to break everything down far enough. So if everyone is addicted to power - so are you.

If however you are talking about one specific form of power, then you need to explain how every exploration was fueled by this power, you also need to explain how you know this to be true in line with each individual explorers motivation. Lastly, if you claim to be different from everyone else on the planet in regards to power, then you then to explain how, because everything you have posted so far smacks of a power trip on your behalf, you're trying to disassociate yourself from everyone else, and claim some power over something you say everyone hasn't mastered yet (addiction to power). If you can't see the obvious contradictions in your stance then this convo isn't going to go anywhere.

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science". ~ Edwin Powell Hubble

#17    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:16 PM

View PostSky Scanner, on 11 May 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

Passing on knowledge is power. Receiving knowledge is power (empowering). Dominating another is power. Being dominated is handing power to someone else, yet in some schools of thought is in itself empowering. Personal achievements are power, as are grander are far reaching achievements. You see, everything is power if you want to break everything down far enough. So if everyone is addicted to power - so are you.

If however you are talking about one specific form of power, then you need to explain how every exploration was fueled by this power, you also need to explain how you know this to be true in line with each individual explorers motivation. Lastly, if you claim to be different from everyone else on the planet in regards to power, then you then to explain how, because everything you have posted so far smacks of a power trip on your behalf, you're trying to disassociate yourself from everyone else, and claim some power over something you say everyone hasn't mastered yet (addiction to power). If you can't see the obvious contradictions in your stance then this convo isn't going to go anywhere.

You're right in that I do believe that I am the first person in the world to come off power.  That puts me in a difficult position because nobody who is on power is going to give me the time of day, and nor are they in a position to be aware of the difference between the behaviour of somebody who is on power, and the behaviour of somebody who is not.  Actually, I suppose most of the problem is due to the fact that there is no OBSERVABLE difference in behaviiour; the difference is in INTENTION, and that is something you need to have the full use of all your senses to detect.  If you are on power, then like any drug addict, your senses are damaged and your awareness severly diminished.  What can I say?  Actually, the importance of what I do and say is not in the WHAT but in the HOW.

#18    The Sky Scanner

The Sky Scanner

Observer

• 5,374 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:55 PM

View Postpantodragon, on 13 May 2013 - 03:16 PM, said:

You're right in that I do believe that I am the first person in the world to come off power.  That puts me in a difficult position because nobody who is on power is going to give me the time of day, and nor are they in a position to be aware of the difference between the behaviour of somebody who is on power, and the behaviour of somebody who is not.  Actually, I suppose most of the problem is due to the fact that there is no OBSERVABLE difference in behaviiour; the difference is in INTENTION, and that is something you need to have the full use of all your senses to detect.  If you are on power, then like any drug addict, your senses are damaged and your awareness severly diminished.  What can I say?  Actually, the importance of what I do and say is not in the WHAT but in the HOW.

Unfortunately, what you're suggesting you have achieved isn't achievable in the way you are saying. Weaning yourself off of 'Power' (and you've still yet to define what power you're talking about) is a process whereby you empower yourself with a different approach with the emphasis placed on intent. You have changed your intent, that has nothing to do with power though. These are two separate issues that you are muddying together.

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science". ~ Edwin Powell Hubble

#19    shrooma

shrooma

Incorrigible Rogue.

• 3,114 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:37 PM

how is the original post on here supposed to be classed as a topic for discussion and not a rant/blog entry?
what was the question posed?
there wasn't one, just a mysandristic tirade.

sometimes, your signature is worth nothing at all.

#20    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:22 PM

View Postshrooma, on 13 May 2013 - 06:37 PM, said:

how is the original post on here supposed to be classed as a topic for discussion and not a rant/blog entry?
what was the question posed?
there wasn't one, just a mysandristic tirade.

I know that it is considered preferable to ask questions on this forum (though of course, there are many posts which describe experiences or report news etc), but I prefer a different approach.  If you ask a question, you are directing people's attention to something quite specific.  If you just talk about what you think and believe, then it is open to the reader to identify their own questions.  Of course, if you use this method, you must be prepared to answer/deal with questions on anything, including your personal ethics.

#21    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

View PostSky Scanner, on 13 May 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

You have changed your intent, that has nothing to do with power though.

When you are on power, your intention, as with any drug, is to get more.  When you come off power, your intentions are essentially cooperative.  Ok, there is an entire lack here of philosophical rigour.  I have not found any need of philosophical rigour to get to where I am now.  I might go so far as to say that to pay attention to philosophical rigour would have focussed my attention on philosophical debate rather than on action.

#22    The Sky Scanner

The Sky Scanner

Observer

• 5,374 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:35 PM

View Postpantodragon, on 16 May 2013 - 03:31 PM, said:

When you are on power, your intention, as with any drug, is to get more.  When you come off power, your intentions are essentially cooperative.  Ok, there is an entire lack here of philosophical rigour.  I have not found any need of philosophical rigour to get to where I am now.  I might go so far as to say that to pay attention to philosophical rigour would have focussed my attention on philosophical debate rather than on action.

I'm going to try with a different approach to see if we can get somewhere here. You say you believe you are the first person in the world to get off power. Which power are you referring too?

#23    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:41 PM

View PostSky Scanner, on 16 May 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

I'm going to try with a different approach to see if we can get somewhere here. You say you believe you are the first person in the world to get off power. Which power are you referring too?

The power I am talking about is essentially about control, and I think it is easily understood when you see it displayed in the  film Lord of the Rings, by of course Sauron who is described as having a "will to dominate all life".  Mostly one sees it as people trying to control/manipulate other people, but they also try to control the environment and well, basically anything that can be controlled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users