Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Bill Maher: It's Rediculous

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 10,989 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:06 PM

I was so proud of them for stating the obvious facts. Yes, SERIOUSLY. Others are deluded.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#17    Dan'O

Dan'O

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:35 PM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 05 May 2013 - 09:33 PM, said:

Well no matter how well armed you are, the Tyrannical Government ™ will be better armed. You've got thousands of rounds of ammunition and enough guns to outfit your entire town? They've got tanks. You've got a bunker? They've got drones with bunker busting bombs.
You can fit tyranny with guns, but more times then not you'll lose because tyranny is better armed and equipped. Not saying don't fight, I'm saying "if you have to fight, you've lost a lot of easier to win battles already".

One demented, liberal cop paralyzed SoCal for days.

#18    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,491 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:28 AM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 05 May 2013 - 01:26 PM, said:

I used to like Maher, and still do agree with his take on religion, at least for the most part, but on other issues, especially 2nd amendment and the war on terror, he is a complete idiot.

Jon Stewart is funny, but a coward in the end.  Colbert is different.  Both are controlled by Viacom and Sumner Redstone.

A coward?  Jon Stewart is first and foremost an entertainer.  I find him well informed, and a great interviewer.  But, I don't see how he is a coward.

I can't say I agree with everything these guys say, but It bugs me that when people have a differing opinion that they should be called idiots, or cowards, or whatever.  To me that is an Anti Sentiment.

#19    Andami

Andami

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:43 AM

Whether you like it or not, he's right. It wouldn't be even remotely possible for U.S. citizens to overpower our current government/military power. We have shotguns and rifles. They have tanks, drones, and bombs.

#20    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,583 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:46 AM

View PostAndami, on 06 May 2013 - 01:43 AM, said:

Whether you like it or not, he's right. It wouldn't be even remotely possible for U.S. citizens to overpower our current government/military power. We have shotguns and rifles. They have tanks, drones, and bombs.

But "they" are using "us" as their fighting front as well. Would a police officer fire on a rebel army? Would a drone operator kill the citizens he swore to protect? Maybe, but maybe we would also get a few drones and tanks defect to our side.

#21    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,735 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:47 AM

What people forget is that these soldiers, police or whatnot live here and have family here. How far would they take it? I can't see most of them going along with it.

Edited by Michelle, 06 May 2013 - 01:52 AM.

#22    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,874 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:43 AM

View PostAlmagest, on 05 May 2013 - 11:42 AM, said:

Who is going to provide the air support to this Libya-esque revolution?
I'd say most of the US Air Force. Probably if it came to Revolution, most of the military would flip sides to the Population rather then the Government. We've seen this over and over again. Even in former Sovier and Arab states. How much quicker would it happen in a Republic's Volinteer military?

It only takes active resistance not being broken and the military probably would switch sides. I have to agree with thiose who say that volinteer militaries generally don't fire on their own citizens. Militarys built on Patronage (like in Syria) are the ones that fire on their own, because they are already a protected class and their families are protected and it is Death for them to disagree.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#23    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,874 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:45 AM

From the OP:

After pointing out the poll where 44% of Republicans said an armed revolution might be necessary in order to protect liberties in the next few years, compared to 18% of Democrats, Maher said

I simply find it AMAZING that 1/5th of US Democrats think Armed Revolution might be necessary. That is 1/5th of the people that voted for Obama!!!

They have such faith in their Leader that they believe the near future is heading into ruination.

Edited by DieChecker, 06 May 2013 - 02:46 AM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#24    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,378 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:42 PM

View Postsupervike, on 06 May 2013 - 01:28 AM, said:

A coward?  Jon Stewart is first and foremost an entertainer.  I find him well informed, and a great interviewer.  But, I don't see how he is a coward.

I can't say I agree with everything these guys say, but It bugs me that when people have a differing opinion that they should be called idiots, or cowards, or whatever.  To me that is an Anti Sentiment.

You're probably right about that--coward might not be the best word to describe Jon.  Sycophant might be a better word to describe his body language and attitude when interviewing military types especially, and government officials in general.  As much as I like Jon, his interviews of men in uniform, high-ranking type, can be disgusting IMO.  I forgive him for that because I know he never wore the uniform, and is thus naive in that regard.  Kinda like Rachel Maddow in that way.

#25    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,600 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:48 PM

44 plus 18 = like 62 percent of the country. :whistle:

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#26    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,600 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:51 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 06 May 2013 - 02:45 AM, said:

From the OP:

I simply find it AMAZING that 1/5th of US Democrats think Armed Revolution might be necessary. That is 1/5th of the people that voted for Obama!!!

They have such faith in their Leader that they believe the near future is heading into ruination.

What you have to understand is that most people support the same things. But everything gets spinned so much, lie and flip flop that alot of people end up not even knowing what it is they are voteing for.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#27    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,766 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:27 PM

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 06 May 2013 - 01:46 AM, said:

Would a police officer fire on a rebel army? Would a drone operator kill the citizens he swore to protect? Maybe, but maybe we would also get a few drones and tanks defect to our side.
sure they would fire and kill, in a heartbeat.  i have 0 doubt about it.

you'll need drones and tanks on your side before you fight, you'll need army on your side.
as most resent revolutions showed when army takes ppl's side, gvmnt falls within days.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#28    Bama13

Bama13

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:44 PM

View Postspartan max2, on 06 May 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

44 plus 18 = like 62 percent of the country. :whistle:

On the other hand:

56 plus 82 = like 138 percent of the country :innocent:

I like fuzzy math

Edited by Bama13, 06 May 2013 - 06:45 PM.

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#29    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,334 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:46 PM

View PostDan, on 05 May 2013 - 11:35 PM, said:

One demented, liberal cop paralyzed SoCal for days.
Yes, but that's Southern California, if it's anything like how it's presented here in Oz it's full of merchant bankers and hippies.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#30    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,874 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:11 PM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 06 May 2013 - 01:42 PM, said:

You're probably right about that--coward might not be the best word to describe Jon.  
Well, if he was a Weiner he'd still be electable, not sure about a coward....

Edited by DieChecker, 07 May 2013 - 08:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users