Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Bill Maher: It's Rediculous

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,961 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:22 PM

View PostBavarian Raven, on 05 May 2013 - 01:49 AM, said:

lol i guess Libya didn't happen :passifier:

View PostKowalski, on 05 May 2013 - 02:29 PM, said:

Quite right.
Look at the French Revolution and the Russian Revolution. Also, the English Civil War, is another good example. Ordinary people, without much weapons or firepower, rose up against their governments. And suceeded.

Yes ordinary people can rise up and overthrow their governments, though as seen in the examples cited they don't need the right to bear arms to do it. So in a historical context the Second Amendment is not needed in order to protect against an abusive government. Perhaps that was the point that was trying to be made.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#32    aztek

aztek

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,646 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

View PostCorp, on 07 May 2013 - 08:22 PM, said:

Yes ordinary people can rise up and overthrow their governments, though as seen in the examples cited they don't need the right to bear arms to do it.

they never had that right. they were pesants, neither they had arms.
also if you look  at those examples again, you'll see it is army on the side of the ppl that made revolution happen, or in case of libia, nato's guns.

and our right to bear arms, we have it, and we will do everything to keep it.

Edited by aztek, 07 May 2013 - 08:57 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#33    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:24 PM

There are very few things that come out of Bill Mahr's mouth that I agree with.  There has been a few things...like not all religions are the same...some are violent killers and some are not (in the 21st century that is)...I also agree that taxation is out of control...he said the "Liberals might lose him" over it.

Lawrence O'Donnell is just a ...erm...I'd get banned for saying what I actually think about him.

Jon Stewart is a Comedian...he pokes fun at what he disagrees with and sometimes it is funny.  If you cannot look at yourself and laugh once in awhile...you are taking yourself way too serious.  Same for Colbert...his satire is strikingly funny and I enjoy it even when it is a jab at some of my viewpoints.

I understand the liberal viewpoint on gun control...they have this wonderful vision that if there were no guns, there would be no gun violence...and in a sense, that would be true.  However...there would be sword, knife, hammer and axe violence...guns are just tools...yes they are tools of killing...but they are tools of protection and hunting for food.  The tool is not the evil problem...the wielder is the problem...regardless what tool you put in their hands.

The point is redundant but is still the truth...outlaw guns and only outlaws will have them.  I never saw a gun jump out of a cabinet, walk across town and kill anyone...it's the person...not the gun.  Humans are animals...we have animal tendencies no matter how hard we try not to...it is just a fact.  Humans are going to kill humans until the day there is only one human left and there is no one left to kill...

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#34    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,890 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:36 AM

View PostCorp, on 07 May 2013 - 08:22 PM, said:

Yes ordinary people can rise up and overthrow their governments, though as seen in the examples cited they don't need the right to bear arms to do it. So in a historical context the Second Amendment is not needed in order to protect against an abusive government. Perhaps that was the point that was trying to be made.
It does however make the revolution easier, with Less of the Rebeling Civilians killed. And it makes the necessary Revolution quicker for the Rebels. Perhaps when the time comes, the body count should be higher then necessary??

You might be right.... if Americans rebeled and say a quarter million of us got wiped out by a tyranical government, even the FedGov appologists would have to side with the rebellion....

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#35    MiskatonicGrad

MiskatonicGrad

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

• "the natural progress of things is liberty to yield and goverment to gain ground." Thomas Jefferson

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:59 AM

The goverment doesn't fear our guns as Wearer of Hats points out. What they fear is our opinion. as long as they can control that through the media, TV, Movies, and state controlled education they have nothing to fear. get out of the bubble do some honest research into the histroy of this nation and the principles it was founded on. then the goverment will fear you.

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we should soon want bread" --Thomas Jefferson(1821)

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session"--Mark Twain(1866)

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson(1800)

#36    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

View PostJeremiah65, on 07 May 2013 - 10:24 PM, said:

There are very few things that come out of Bill Mahr's mouth that I agree with.  There has been a few things...like not all religions are the same...some are violent killers and some are not (in the 21st century that is)...I also agree that taxation is out of control...he said the "Liberals might lose him" over it.

Lawrence O'Donnell is just a ...erm...I'd get banned for saying what I actually think about him.

Jon Stewart is a Comedian...he pokes fun at what he disagrees with and sometimes it is funny.  If you cannot look at yourself and laugh once in awhile...you are taking yourself way too serious.  Same for Colbert...his satire is strikingly funny and I enjoy it even when it is a jab at some of my viewpoints.

I understand the liberal viewpoint on gun control...they have this wonderful vision that if there were no guns, there would be no gun violence...and in a sense, that would be true.  However...there would be sword, knife, hammer and axe violence...guns are just tools...yes they are tools of killing...but they are tools of protection and hunting for food.  The tool is not the evil problem...the wielder is the problem...regardless what tool you put in their hands.

The point is redundant but is still the truth...outlaw guns and only outlaws will have them.  I never saw a gun jump out of a cabinet, walk across town and kill anyone...it's the person...not the gun.  Humans are animals...we have animal tendencies no matter how hard we try not to...it is just a fact.  Humans are going to kill humans until the day there is only one human left and there is no one left to kill...

:clap: :clap:

I don't understand why people don't SEE this. People are going to kill each other, whether you can guns or not. If you ban guns, what happens when some crazy nut job BOMBS a school? Or pulls another Oklahoma City?
Are you going to ban fertilizer? Are you going to ban pressure cookers?

#37    Bama13

Bama13

Poltergeist

• 2,893 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:08 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 07 May 2013 - 08:11 PM, said:

Well, if he was a Weiner he'd still be electable, not sure about a coward....

Maybe Noel Coward, if he were American instead of British.

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users